Home Theatre System Set-up Questions... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre System Set-up Questions...

willx45x
08-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks in advance guys!

I just purchased a Sony 50" LCD rear-projection TV. I'm trying to integrate it into my current set-up. The TV is the new version and has two HDMI inputs. I currently have a Sony DVD (prog scan) player that is 3-4 years old. I have a Sony receiver that is a little older and two floor-standing Yamaha speakers with a matching Yamaha center channel speaker. The receiver has two optical connections and one coaxial connection. However, it does not have any component inputs. I will be getting HDTV this week from Dish Network and I will have the box that controls two TV's and has DVR. It supports HDMI.

I assume the HD Satellite box will plug directly into the TV using HDMI. I also assume if I get a new DVD player (upconversion) that it will plug directly into the TV using HDMI. The DVD is currently connected directly to the TV via component cables and I also have an optical cable running directly from the receiver to the TV (not sure if this is necessary). My coaxial cable is running from the DVD player to the receiver.

Am I missing anything here? Is the fact that I have an older receiver lacking component inputs a big deal? Is it new receiver time? Also, should I go ahead and replace my DVD player with one that supports upconversion?

Thanks in advance guys! I thought I had this stuff figured out, but the new TV and HD stuff is making my head hurt.

w

Wireworm5
08-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think your old receiver is a problem, since you'll probably be running the sound through that instead of your tv anyway. You will need to run an optical wire from your HDtv to receiver and if you get an upscaler you will want to connect that by optical as well for sound.
Whether or not you get an upscaler is entirely up to you. But as I posted on another thread with your current dvd player your new tv will probably only work in default mode. For your tv to work in HD mode it more than likely will require a 1080i signal connected by an HDMI cable.
Other than that I don't see anything wrong with your setup

elapsed
08-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I assume the HD Satellite box will plug directly into the TV using HDMI. I also assume if I get a new DVD player (upconversion) that it will plug directly into the TV using HDMI.
This is correct.. But you'll also need an digital coax or optical audio cable from the HD Satellite box to the receiver :)

The DVD is currently connected directly to the TV via component cables and I also have an optical cable running directly from the receiver to the TV (not sure if this is necessary).
There's no need for the optical cable from the receiver to the TV

My coaxial cable is running from the DVD player to the receiver.
This is correct

Is the fact that I have an older receiver lacking component inputs a big deal? Is it new receiver time?
Your setup doesn't use video switching, so there's no need for component inputs on your receiver at this time.. As your TV has two HDMI inputs, you may want to consider a new receiver in a year or two time if you eventually need HDMI switching for instance, to connect new HD DVD, Blu-Ray, PS3, or upconverting DVD.

Enjoy your new system!

bfalls
08-07-2006, 10:05 AM
This is correct.. But you'll also need an digital coax or optical audio cable from the HD Satellite box to the receiver :)

There's no need for the optical cable from the receiver to the TV

This is correct

Your setup doesn't use video switching, so there's no need for component inputs on your receiver at this time.. As your TV has two HDMI inputs, you may want to consider a new receiver in a year or two time if you eventually need HDMI switching for instance, to connect new HD DVD, Blu-Ray, PS3, or upconverting DVD.

Enjoy your new system!

I disagree with the statement There's no need for the optical cable from the receiver to the TV. If you have an antenna which receives HD OTA, many satellite receivers won't pass through the digital audio signal. The optical out on the TV will allow you to connect the TV's digital 5.1 output received via OTA and allow your receiver to play it in 5.1.

No matter how tempting the new receivers are, I can't see purchasing one without HDMI 1.3. You may need to wait another year, but should be worth the wait.

elapsed
08-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I disagree with the statement There's no need for the optical cable from the receiver to the TV. If you have an antenna which receives HD OTA, many satellite receivers won't pass through the digital audio signal. The optical out on the TV will allow you to connect the TV's digital 5.1 output received via OTA and allow your receiver to play it in 5.1.
He's not receiving OTA broadcasts - he has a Dish Network Satellite box, which will be connected through a DVR to his TV via HDMI. I don't see how this setup will require optical out from his TV to his receiver. On top of this, many TV's do not have the ability to pass DD5.1.

Also to clarify - the optical audio or digital coax would run from his DVR to his receiver, not from the Satellite box to the receiver as I'd first noted.

Fergymunster
08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks in advance guys!

I just purchased a Sony 50" LCD rear-projection TV. I'm trying to integrate it into my current set-up. The TV is the new version and has two HDMI inputs. I currently have a Sony DVD (prog scan) player that is 3-4 years old. I have a Sony receiver that is a little older and two floor-standing Yamaha speakers with a matching Yamaha center channel speaker. The receiver has two optical connections and one coaxial connection. However, it does not have any component inputs. I will be getting HDTV this week from Dish Network and I will have the box that controls two TV's and has DVR. It supports HDMI.

I assume the HD Satellite box will plug directly into the TV using HDMI. I also assume if I get a new DVD player (upconversion) that it will plug directly into the TV using HDMI. The DVD is currently connected directly to the TV via component cables and I also have an optical cable running directly from the receiver to the TV (not sure if this is necessary). My coaxial cable is running from the DVD player to the receiver.

Am I missing anything here? Is the fact that I have an older receiver lacking component inputs a big deal? Is it new receiver time? Also, should I go ahead and replace my DVD player with one that supports upconversion?

Thanks in advance guys! I thought I had this stuff figured out, but the new TV and HD stuff is making my head hurt.

w
If you havn't thought of it already I would highly recommend a suge protecter with clean power curcuity.The Monster Powerbar 1100.It has 4 outlets for audio and four for video.It will improve your TV's picture quality tremendously and your audio eqiumpment as well.

willx45x
08-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I bought a Belkin Surge Protector from Home Depot. It was about $40. Seemed powerful enough to do the job. I don't know how much the one you recommended is, but since it's Monster I will assume it's pricey. Will it noticeably improve my picture quality from the one I have?

Thanks for all of the replies! Great information guys!

w

elapsed
08-07-2006, 12:09 PM
If you havn't thought of it already I would highly recommend a suge protecter with clean power curcuity.The Monster Powerbar 1100.It has 4 outlets for audio and four for video.It will improve your TV's picture quality tremendously and your audio eqiumpment as well.
Slightly off-topic - but the Monster products are very overpriced. The Monster Powerbar 1100 has a 2775 joule rating, 8 outlets, $250,000 warranty, and costs over $150. I imagine this product has a markup of several hundred percent.

On the other hand, an APC C10 Power Filter has a 3400 joule rating, 10 outlets, isolated noise filter banks, $350,000 warranty, and can be found for under $100. The Tripp Lite HT10DBS (though not as pretty as the Monster and APC products) has a 3570 joule rating, 10 outlets, isolated noise filter banks, $500,000 warranty, and costs under $75.

Fergymunster
08-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I bought a Belkin Surge Protector from Home Depot. It was about $40. Seemed powerful enough to do the job. I don't know how much the one you recommended is, but since it's Monster I will assume it's pricey. Will it noticeably improve my picture quality from the one I have?

Thanks for all of the replies! Great information guys!

w
Yes the monster surge protecter is better than what you have.Either the powerbar 1100 or the 1000.Yes,the clean power curcuity will improve your picture quality better than than having none at all,which is your case.There anywhere between $120 to $150 around the web

willx45x
08-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I appreciate the advice, but I have a very hard time believing a surge protector is going to make $100 worth of difference in my picture. Maybe it will, but it's hard to believe. Even if it will, I'm betting there's something more cost effective than a Monster. I hate Monster...just don't trust those guys.

w

Fergymunster
08-08-2006, 07:09 AM
I appreciate the advice, but I have a very hard time believing a surge protector is going to make $100 worth of difference in my picture. Maybe it will, but it's hard to believe. Even if it will, I'm betting there's something more cost effective than a Monster. I hate Monster...just don't trust those guys.

w
Ok,just trying to help.Good luck