receiver pre-out problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : receiver pre-out problem

BigVic
08-06-2006, 07:23 PM
upgraded my sub cables.taking the old cable off but I also took off the gold plated part of the rca output.I carefulysnapped it back into the output,and did a sound check with the sub.It seems to be ok.Any advice would be of great help.

markw
08-07-2006, 05:13 AM
upgraded my sub cables.taking the old cable off but I also took off the gold plated part of the rca output.I carefulysnapped it back into the output,and did a sound check with the sub.It seems to be ok.Any advice would be of great help.So, what, exactly, is your problem? If it's working you have no problem.

Here's a tip for the future: When removing RCA plugs from RCA jacks, do NOT pull/yank them off.. Gently twist them and, when they loosen, you can gently pull them off. You've seen the results when you use brute force to yank 'em off ...and got lucky that it still works.

audio amateur
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
on top of that, you can even completely bust the structure the rca is holding on too. The LFE output on my reciever is dead, it wobbles and the connection is so bad I can't even use it anymore. Furthmore I never actually yanked the cable when I've handled it in the past. So.... you better be careful.

nightflier
08-08-2006, 11:13 AM
One possible solution is to purchase fastening RCA cables. Theoretically, these make the best contact. I think AA sells some from Kimber:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productaddimage.asp?sku=KKSS.5147&InfoType=-1&ImageIndex=1

Just remember to loosen them before starting to pull them off. I've also found that Canare terminations tend to make a very good contact w/o being too tight. Most smaller manufacturers carry cables with Canare connectors.