Summer selections? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Summer selections?

bobsticks
08-06-2006, 04:11 AM
Flamenco, anyone? Carribean, Raggae, Brazillian?
The heat index has just dropped below three figures, windows wide open with a lovely cross-breeze, and the big rig is fired up spinning Carlos Heredia's Gypsy Flamenco. Truly a lovely morning.
My question is this: What do y'all listen to in the summer months???

I can't be the only one whose tastes shift with the season...

Cheers

nobody
08-06-2006, 06:02 AM
I dig a lot of reggae in the summer...year round really, but yeah, good summer music...

Listening to a lot of Damian "Jr Gong" Marley's one from last year Welcome to Jamrock.

Damn fine album. The title tracks great but plenty of other good stuff on there. He mixed traditional reggae with ska, soul and hip hop. Best album yet by a Marley not named Bob in my opinion.

skewiff
08-06-2006, 08:01 AM
This still gets extensive play time, 3 disc's of great stuff.

Never a Dull Moment.... Rod. I bought this in '72 a hot summer in England, I was 17, girlfriend, job , money, Life was good, my fave summer album.

Todays my birthday, '72 seems such a long time ago.

Tony

bobsticks
08-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys...I was thinkin' I was the only one. I'll check out the Marley rec and, hey Tony, Happy Birthday!

Cheers

JohnMichael
08-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Never thought about tastes changing with different seasons before now. After reading this post I checked out all the music I had been listening to or had pulled out to give a listen. Since I tend not to put the music away until I have a nice pile I noticed mostly the following music.

Solo piano recordings
Piano duets
Piano and cello
Piano and violin
Quartets

Interesting to note that none of my choices were large scale music. Also more instrumental jazz instead of the usual female jazz vocalists to which I listen.

Woochifer
08-07-2006, 11:06 AM
For whatever reason, this summer I've been listening to a lot of what-used-to-be-called-"acid jazz"-but-is-now-referred-to-as-"neo soul"-or-"nujazz." Stuff like Brand New Heavies, Count Basic, St. Germain, etc. I think with the persistent heat this summer, I've been looking for something mellower than trance or deep house, and less demanding than hard bop, fusion, and avant garde jazz, all of which I typically listen to all year round. Flamenco and Latin jazz would probably also put my brain on overload, unless I'm out dancing, in which case I'd mostly pay attention to the rhythm anyway.

In the spring, I overloaded on massive orchestral pieces, partly because I was populating my multichannel SACD collection and partly because I was getting psyched up for a couple of huge orchestral/choral concerts by the San Francisco Symphony in June (Mahler's Eighth Symphony and Verdi's Requiem).

bobsticks
08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
...yes, I believe "less demanding" is exactly the phrase in play. I've noticed I've also been trending toward acoustic and small ensemble music. And, certainly mellow is the order of the day. That having been said, there's always an exception to the rule...

HEY WOOCH,
Have you seen the Sony Classical Release of Mahler's Tenth~Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra ? Release date is 2006.

Cheers

Woochifer
08-07-2006, 12:37 PM
HEY WOOCH,
Have you seen the Sony Classical Release of Mahler's Tenth~Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra ? Release date is 2006.

Cheers

I wonder if that's just the Adagio (1st movement) or if it's Ormandy's early recording of the "completed" Tenth Symphony, which was cobbled together from Mahler's drafts and filler passages written by musicologists. I've never bought any recordings of Mahler's "completed" Tenth because there are so many versions out there, and I have no idea which one is worth owning.

Next year, the SF Symphony will release a multichannel SACD of Mahler's short pieces, which I think will also include the Adagio from Mahler's Tenth (the only movement that he actually completed on his own for the Tenth Symphony). Those were recorded at concerts they performed earlier this year. Hope you've been enjoying their other Mahler SACDs in the meantime. Just so you know, the SF Symphony's SACD of Mahler's 5th comes out in early-October. The SFS website is taking preorders, which will ensure that you get the CD/SACD about two weeks before the release date.

http://www.shopsfsymphony.org/generic.jsp?id=MAHLER_PROJECT_OVERVIEW

bobsticks
08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, here, let take a looksie(bags rustling)...
...it is, in fact, all five movements...referred to as "a performing version of the sketch" cobbled together by Deryck Cooke...remastered with DSD/SBM...blah,blah,blah...

As to its merits, I'll have to post back later tonight...

Cheers

Dusty Chalk
08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
My tastes change more frequently than the seasons.

That said, there are certain things that just hit me wrong -- like drinking Anchor's Seasonal Brew in the summer, or Frozen Daquiris in the winter. So,...

I like to listen to reggae more in the summer than any other time. I don't really listen to that much reggae, but it is definitely something I associate with the summer months more than any others.

Can't really think of anything else. I listen to what I listen to when I feel like listening to it.

bobsticks
08-08-2006, 09:01 AM
I dig a lot of reggae in the summer...year round really, but yeah, good summer music...

Listening to a lot of Damian "Jr Gong" Marley's one from last year Welcome to Jamrock.

Damn fine album. The title tracks great but plenty of other good stuff on there. He mixed traditional reggae with ska, soul and hip hop. Best album yet by a Marley not named Bob in my opinion.

Yes, damn fine album. Picked it up yesterday with a host of others. Solid rec, thanks.

Cheers

nobody
08-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Always glad to hear when someone likes something I suggest. Enjoy!

ForeverAutumn
08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I just came back from a long weekend at a friend's cottage and my iPod supplied most of the playlist for the weekend. I was prepared with some up-beat "summer" music. But the general mood leaned more towards singer/songwriter/alt-country style music. There was LOTS of Ryan Adams, Jim Bryson, Wilco, Blue Rodeo, Ray Lamontagne to name a few. I tried to slip a little Opeth in there for variety, but that didn't last too long.

Generally, I simplify things in the summer (see list above) and lean more towards metal and prog in the winter. I don't know why that is....maybe the head-banging keeps me warm in the sub-zero weather.