Are you a musician? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are you a musician?

The Tahitijack
08-05-2006, 07:01 AM
I've noticed a few of our members have commented that they play a guitar, drums or sax.

If you are a working or wanna be musician please tell us somethin' 'bout yourself.

I'll start it off by saying I started playing and collecting (Taylor) acoustic guitars 8 years ago. A few years ago added some electrics (PRS CU22 and McCarty & Fender Strat) to the collection. I play fingerstyle on my acoutics and mostly rhythm on the electrics. My music tastes run from surf music to classic rock and everything in between except Country. I was in a band until I relocated 1,200 miles earlier this year. Now I'm looking to start another band.

kexodusc
08-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Play cello, piano and guitar here...hard to find gigs with the cello though.
Music tastes are all over the map.
I've pretty much surrendered to the reality I'll never be the next Warren Haynes or Ben Folds, but it beats collecting stamps.

basite
08-06-2006, 09:53 AM
used to play the piano, but now i stopped doing that, simply because i didn't liked it anymore, piano is a beautifull instrument, when played in a group of instruments, otherwise, it's boring

kexodusc
08-06-2006, 09:57 AM
used to play the piano, but now i stopped doing that, simply because i didn't liked it anymore, piano is a beautifull instrument, when played in a group of instruments, otherwise, it's boring

Actually, Piano is probably my favorite instrument when played alone - most other instruments can't do nearly as much, play as many styles of music, or play as many octaves as piano or organ. Perhaps the Harp is as versatile, but I can't get into most Harp music that much.

JoeE SP9
08-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Used to play. Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass. Played an electric bass in several bands. The life style was more destructive than I could handle. Just listen now.:sad:

Woochifer
08-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Played violin from grade school through high school, and dabbled a little bit with keyboard in between. Once I got into college, I found my time much better served watching live music from the audience and hanging out with musicians, than trying to be one of them! Wound up working as a concert director in college, so I got to know a lot of musicians, and indulge in musical interests in other ways.

bobsticks
08-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I played the cello for nine years and deeply regret having given it up. At the time I was, of course, too cool for the instrument. In retrospect, the instrument was probably too cool for me :)
I have played the guitar, off and on, for over twenty years. I'm currently down to just a few Jacksons and a Steinberger but I've had my eye on a Gretsch White Falcon as of late (obvious my musical tastes have changed, eh). I don't play in a group regularly, but I have sat in with some friends on some downtown jazz sets--maybe five times in the last three years.
As for Joe's observation about the lifestyle, I felt the same way about owning a bar. Some days I think I'm still hungover and I sold the damn thing seven years ago :out:

Cheers

topspeed
08-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I've been a drummer since I was 6 yrs old, which is bit over...ahem...30 years ago. I played drumline in HS and in jazz and rock bands for a bit. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for that anymore, although I still enjoy sitting down and working up a good sweat now and again. Of course, some would question the validity of a "drummer" considering themselves a "musician." I figure if you can read music, you qualify.

Then again, all I really do is beat the *@$# out of things. :lol: :7: :lol:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-07-2006, 04:37 AM
I have played piano and organ since I was 5 y/o. Though jazz and gospel are the types of music I started on, I have played classical, R&B, and a little rock over the years. I still play some live shows for local singers, but most of my playing now is writing and doing studio work. I find my interest in live performances waning quite a bit as I get older.

Resident Loser
08-07-2006, 06:40 AM
...for forty years...acoustic, electric, rock, jazz, country, classical, slide...in fact I have a modded Gibson with a brass nut and bridge specific for that purpose...I concentrate on finger-style (standard and non-standard tunings) and jazz nowadays...bass, keyboards, harmonica (diatonic and chromatic), kalimba...and if we can consider programmable drum machines an instrument, drums...

I'm in the process of building a fretless guitar out of oak and walnut specifically for pedal-steel (C6, etc.) tunings...started out with a nylon-stringed 2x4...chording is a b!tch, but glissandos and microtones are interesting...

jimHJJ(...given the option I could play all day...)

P.S. Solo piano boring???????

GMichael
08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I took lessons on the flute for 4 years. Then picked up an electric guitar when I turned 16. Was in a "band" for a couple of years but was never really good enough to call myself a musician. Haven't picked either guitar in years. One is an Epiphone Geneses and the other is a Steinberg. Got a great deal on the Steinberg as I was close friends with the shop manager while they were still here in Newburgh. She moved with them to Nashville.

PAT.P
09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Not yet! Bought this for my son but Im the one learning:ihih: This take all the rest of my spare time.It's a Sonor all maple drum set ,lots of cymbals not on stand yet.:16:

likeitloud
09-07-2006, 02:57 AM
My son took up guitar when he was 9, stayed with it for a year, then heard a Rush
track, and said he wanted to try drums, figures..and has played ever since. He's in
highschool now in the marching band, as a freshmen..and also in there jazz band
side project. His drum teacher says he's way ahead of were a kid his age should
be, and when I hear him, I have to agree. Lately he's been working hard on getting
more hand speed down. He says Neil Peart is hard to get down (an understatement)
because all drum tracks are off beat, on purpose. I checked that out on 2112, and
it does sound that way, a tough guy to try and practice with. I play around on his
guitar, a Les Paul Standard copy, and a Peavy amp. We can do "Wipeout" togather
and noodle around stuff, It keeps him out of trouble, thats all we can ask for. Later

ForeverAutumn
09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
My son took up guitar when he was 9, stayed with it for a year, then heard a Rush
track, and said he wanted to try drums

Allow me to compliment you on your son's great taste. Has he heard Dream Theater yet? You may want to introduce him to the drumming of Mike Portnoy...right up there with Peart.

I am a musician with no talent. A musician at heart, I might say. In my years I have played Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Clarinet, Flute, Guitar and Keyboard.

Guitar is the only one that I've stuck with. I have a Yamaha acoustic that I purchased 22 years ago and still love. Two years ago, I fulfilled a 20 year old dream by purchasing an Ovation. We recently bought a used keyboard so I'm thinking about piano lessons.

My husband is a drummer (and actually talented, unlike me) and also owns an electric guitar and a bass. Between us, we have enough instruments in our house to outfit a full band.

likeitloud
09-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Allow me to compliment you on your son's great taste. Has he heard Dream Theater yet? You may want to introduce him to the drumming of Mike Portnoy...right up there with Peart.

I am a musician with no talent. A musician at heart, I might say. In my years I have played Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Clarinet, Flute, Guitar and Keyboard.

Guitar is the only one that I've stuck with. I have a Yamaha acoustic that I purchased 22 years ago and still love. Two years ago, I fulfilled a 20 year old dream by purchasing an Ovation. We recently bought a used keyboard so I'm thinking about piano lessons.

My husband is a drummer (and actually talented, unlike me) and also owns an electric guitar and a bass. Between us, we have enough instruments in our house to outfit a full band.

Yes, he likes DT, but he'll need to work harder on his stamina, he's recently
gotten down some Bonham licks also, which took over 4 months. Your talents
with music are impressive, keep up the practice. Later

topspeed
09-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey, Pat!

Dem's sure are purty! Me likee!!! :cool:

PAT.P
09-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey, Pat!

Dem's sure are purty! Me likee!!! :cool:Thanks!Spoil myself today ,this is a Epek "Odyssey" custom snare.Just awesome ,right crack and sizzled:7: