Floorstanders: Polk vs. Wharfedale vs. Athena...others? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstanders: Polk vs. Wharfedale vs. Athena...others?

IRG
02-02-2004, 09:29 AM
I have a very good pair of Energy c-3 speakers I like, but they have gotten knocked over three times now, once by my 2 year old, once by me trying to make sure he didn't! And once by the cat. I have changed stands to a very sturdy pair, but to no avail. I don't want to screw them to the stands, and fear even then, the whole thing could topple over, as the speakers are fairly top heavy, even when I have filled the stands.

However, I wouldn't mind more bass anyway, so if I upgrade to floorstanders, I'm ok with that. I do have a fairly limited budget - preferably no more than $500. In that league I have seen the Polk Rti 70 (older model now) the Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, and the Athena Technologies F-2. The Polks I can get on ebay used, or even new for probably less than $500, I like the real wood finish. All three of these speakers seemed very well reviewed, for what that is worth.

I have no local dealers for any of these speakers or for any speaker I like and/or can afford. So I have to buy more on reputation than anything else. I know, this is contrary to the advice I give to others, but I'm ok with that. Of course, if I can find some locally to listen to, I will.

Anyway, are there other speakers, floorstanders, that I should be adding to my list? I will buy used too. My listening tastes are electic, but rock is important, as is acoustic and classical to some extent. I have a good Roksan Kandy integrated amp and Kandy cd player.

Any thooughts or susggestions would be appreciated. Ciao!

JSE
02-02-2004, 10:09 AM
What about the Energy C-5. It's a darn good smaller floorstander that should be similiar in sound to your C-3s except with a little more low end. When I looked at them, I think they were about $600. You could probably get 10% knocked off with some negotiation. That's just a little over your budget. Later you could add a center and sub (optional) and have great 5.1 set up. If you want 5.1 sound? The C-3 would make a great surround.

JSE

markw
02-02-2004, 11:57 AM
I didn't try Wharfedales, but I did listen to various other "popular" brands in the same price range and settled on the Athena AS-F1's for mains. ...along with the matching center and a pair of AS-B2's for rears. ...I had to order mine thru the mail two years ago.

BB recently started selling Athena speakers. You could always buy 'em, live with 'em for a week or two and take 'em back if they don't suit your needs, assuming you kept all the packing and receipt and didn't mess 'em up.

AudioAdvisor sells Wharfedale and are pretty liberal about their returns, assumptions the same as above, save for shipping.

Of course, your best bet is to listen to as many different speakers in your price range as possible unless you view purchasing based on popularity, as seems the wave of the future with the internet.

FWIW, my main determing factor was music, not movies. Generally, if a speaker sounds good on music, it will sound good on HT as well. Unfortuantely, it's not necessarially the same the other way around.

trauski
02-02-2004, 12:36 PM
i saw some athena's at best buy the other day and they didnt sound to bad at all. the tweeter's sounded very good for the movie that was playing in 5.1 these little floorstanders where 199.00 each and the bigger floor stander where 300.00each. i would go for the 199.00 and try to find an open box buy on a velodyne 8 inch sub for 160.00 at circuit city ,and you would be rocken , jazzen or what ever you like for a nice price. check out axiom as well. or paradigm monitor series.

poneal
02-02-2004, 12:44 PM
I have found that if you buy speakers that are being replaced with a newer model that the older model sells from anywhere between 25% and 50% lower. I got an older model pair for $398.00 that originally sold for $600.00. So be on the lookout for closeout deals like these.

IRG
02-03-2004, 06:32 AM
What about the Energy C-5. It's a darn good smaller floorstander that should be similiar in sound to your C-3s except with a little more low end. When I looked at them, I think they were about $600. You could probably get 10% knocked off with some negotiation. That's just a little over your budget. Later you could add a center and sub (optional) and have great 5.1 set up. If you want 5.1 sound? The C-3 would make a great surround.

JSE
I hadn't even thought the C-5 - I wonder why not? I bought the C-3 on Ebay for a great price. There is a dealer here that sells that line still, so maybe I will have to check it out. But retail, I don't want to spend $600. Prefer even closer to $400, depending on what I can sell my C-3s for. And this is for a 2 channel only system. The HT system will get a major makeover in another year or two.

Know any good places that sell the C series online?

IRG
02-03-2004, 06:34 AM
I have found that if you buy speakers that are being replaced with a newer model that the older model sells from anywhere between 25% and 50% lower. I got an older model pair for $398.00 that originally sold for $600.00. So be on the lookout for closeout deals like these.

I agree, hence my interest in the Polk Rti 70. The new line is similar, but about $300-$400 more.

IRG
02-03-2004, 06:38 AM
I didn't try Wharfedales, but I did listen to various other "popular" brands in the same price range and settled on the Athena AS-F1's for mains. ...along with the matching center and a pair of AS-B2's for rears. ...I had to order mine thru the mail two years ago.

BB recently started selling Athena speakers. You could always buy 'em, live with 'em for a week or two and take 'em back if they don't suit your needs, assuming you kept all the packing and receipt and didn't mess 'em up.

AudioAdvisor sells Wharfedale and are pretty liberal about their returns, assumptions the same as above, save for shipping.

Of course, your best bet is to listen to as many different speakers in your price range as possible unless you view purchasing based on popularity, as seems the wave of the future with the internet.

FWIW, my main determing factor was music, not movies. Generally, if a speaker sounds good on music, it will sound good on HT as well. Unfortuantely, it's not necessarially the same the other way around.

Hey Mark,
Yeah I remember you had the Athenas, that is why they are still on my short list. I do have a BB here, so I will keep an eye on them. Of course an in-store demo is useless there, no where to sit and even listen to them. But you are right, I could buy and return if unhappy, which I doubt I would.

The Wharfedale's get really good reviews, so I am tempted, and the Polks get very good user reviews. Nothing bad about any of these speakers. I should check out Axiom too I suppose. I would like to try a DIY speaker from PartExpress, but so far they only have bookshelf speakers. I am in no rush to do this, which is a good thing.

headknocker
02-04-2004, 06:43 AM
I've listened to the Athena floorstanders(both models) several times in my local BB and I thought they sounded pretty good...for what it's worth. I don't think the setup or source material is the best at BB so I'm pretty sure they'd sound much better in most people's home rigs. I wasn't in the market for speakers but I was curious to hear the Athena's for myself(after reading numerous reviewers and consumers raving about them)....I came away fairly impressed...the tweeter is smooth,not bright at all. If I was in the market for speakers they they would be on my short list. Good Luck.

manek
02-05-2004, 12:29 AM
try JPW, Morduant Short or Heybrook.
They come pretty cheap and sound very good. Floorstander will fit in your budget. Check their sites.

IRG
02-05-2004, 12:21 PM
I can get the Wharfedale 8.4 from a NC dealer for $439 and $41 shipping. Size wise, I think they are a little better suited for my living room than the Athenas. Both seem to get really good reviews. The search continues...Thanks to all who have replied so far.

CaymanCroc
02-08-2004, 01:11 AM
The Diamonds are great speakers for soft rock (for the price) and work pretty well in HT as well. The center channel speaker is pretty good too.

The bass will open up tremendously on the 8.4s after about 50 hrs of play. I think theyre great VFM and very sturdy speakers... i think they can be filled with sand etc to weigh them down.. no 2 yr old or cat'll every be able to budge em an inch ;-) Plus thatll improve the bass extension as well.

Worth a second look i think.

Cheers

U can also check out the Dynaudio Audience range... better detail but slightly lower on bass than the 8.4s.

IRG
02-09-2004, 08:21 AM
The Diamonds are great speakers for soft rock (for the price) and work pretty well in HT as well. The center channel speaker is pretty good too.

The bass will open up tremendously on the 8.4s after about 50 hrs of play. I think theyre great VFM and very sturdy speakers... i think they can be filled with sand etc to weigh them down.. no 2 yr old or cat'll every be able to budge em an inch ;-) Plus thatll improve the bass extension as well.

Worth a second look i think.

Cheers

U can also check out the Dynaudio Audience range... better detail but slightly lower on bass than the 8.4s.

Thanks for the reply. What is the VFM acronym mean? Too many to rmember. I didn't think the Dynaudio's were in my price range. Maybe used? I would be interested if I could find them somewhere. The 8.4s do justice to more than soft rock? Like good alternative, heavier rock, as well as blues guitar stuff? They won't be used for HT.

CaymanCroc
02-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the reply. What is the VFM acronym mean? Too many to rmember. I didn't think the Dynaudio's were in my price range. Maybe used? I would be interested if I could find them somewhere. The 8.4s do justice to more than soft rock? Like good alternative, heavier rock, as well as blues guitar stuff? They won't be used for HT.
Hi

Yeah sorry, the Dynaudios 122 will be more expensive, but if you do find a used pair, have a listen before you make your decision.

The 8.4s are very good speakers for this price, for all kinds of music but they can sound a bit on the brighter side. That again is upto your individual taste. If you can manage a demo at home, then make sure you spend a lot of time listening to a wide range of music on them.

Cheers,
CaymanCroc

VFM - Value For Money