Has anyone here purchased the reissue of P-tree's Up The Downstair? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here purchased the reissue of P-tree's Up The Downstair?

3-LockBox
08-03-2006, 09:21 PM
I see that it includes Staircase Infinities as a bonus disc. I heard that Wilson remixed some of the tracks with 'live' drums (rather than the original drum loops) and even supplimented his guitar in places.

Anyone here own it? Heard it?

kexodusc
08-04-2006, 03:25 AM
I did. To be honest, I don't like the album at all, has a few good tunes, but seems to much like forced artsy for the sake of being arts rock to me. The bonus disc isn't anything spectacular.
If you've got an older version, I can't imagine it being worthwhile to get the reissue.

richmon
08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I got it and I'm a better person for doing so.
The original was a good fit for my spacey moods, and the remaster is a big sonic improvement, plus some additional great tunes.
I agree with kexodusc about 'some' of the tunes being forced artsy, which is to say there's some filler in there, but overall I'm glad I splurged.
Recently got an email from BurningShed that sez the extended moonloop recording, originally released only to the fan club will be released this fall. This Moonloop recording is from the TSMS sessions and is in the same spacey groove as sky and is highly prized by collectors, so they said.

Troy
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
I have the original release and I have to say, it's one of my favorite PT albums. It is their album that is most like "Sky Moves Sideways", their spacerock epic. Always Never? Excellent. The title track? Outstanding. Burning Sky? Fantastic. That's 28 excellent minutes right there. Yeah, it's spotty at times, but when it's good, it's grrrreat.

I'd love to hear the remix with the real drums cuz Gavin Harrison is a monster, but I've found the MIDI drums to be quite effective on this album.

I have Staircase Infinities (CDR) and I think it's really only for completeists, though "Yellow Hedgrow Dreamscape" is really cool.

kexodusc
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
I did. To be honest, I don't like the album at all, has a few good tunes, but seems to much like forced artsy for the sake of being arts rock to me. The bonus disc isn't anything spectacular.
If you've got an older version, I can't imagine it being worthwhile to get the reissue.

I'm really sorry, I've confused "Up the Downstair" with "On the Sunday of Life" reissue...that's the only PT album I don't care much for.

Up the Downstair, like "The Sky Moves Sideways", is an excellent re-issues. "On the Sunday of Life" doesn't even have a disc 2! Dunno what I wuz smokin' this morning.

Man, I was off today. Synesthesia and Always Never are 2 of my fav PT tracks...Ugh. Should have paid more attention...yeah, buy it!!! though I still don't think Disc 2 is anything spectacular.
Sorry dude!

Troy
08-04-2006, 10:13 AM
LOL, yeah, stay away from Sunday Side. Wilson was still in diapers there.

kexodusc
08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
LOL, yeah, stay away from Sunday Side. Wilson was still in diapers there.
That's kind of funny, I have a few old demo tapes of my old college band - somehow we fancied ourselves as being a Marillion/Genesis/Metallica hybrid - except unfortunately it sounds an aweful lot like a crappier version of "On the Sunday of Life" oddly enough....man, I should burn those...