"V for Vendetta" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "V for Vendetta"

Worf101
08-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Wow, wow, wow. A thinking persons action flick. The best graphic novel adaptation I've ever seen. "Sin City" was good but this was great. I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea cause it makes so bold a political statement, but politcs aside it's just flat out one beautiful picture to watch and hear. Great acting, superior cast and London never looked so good, even if it was CGI. Won't buy it now, I'll wait for the "Collesctor's Edition".

Da Worfster

kexodusc
08-03-2006, 06:23 AM
I agree - it had that "used-a-trillion-and-seven-times-over" Counte of Monte Christo/Batman Begins/Zoro criminal vigilante concept to it - but damn it was well executed.

I thought it was very under appreciated - glad to hear my tastes aren't going bad (or that I'm at least not alone in my decline).

Edit: On a side note, I finally, FINALLY, got around to seeing the classic "Sunset Boulevard".
Wow!!! What a great film! I've heard Glenn Close and Ewan MacGregor are doing a remake due in a year or two...should be interesting, I saw her do the Broadway show a few years back.

Highly recommended to everyone! Oh, and I finally clued in - Metallica's song "The Memory Remains" is TOTALLY about that film - the video and singing include Marianne Faithful playing the role of Norma Desmond...kind of a surreal music video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=I7oZT27FMy4

One of the best movies I've ever seen.

L.J.
08-03-2006, 07:42 AM
I'll have to give it a try. Never gotta chance to see it at the theater. Blockbuster has become my friend again lately. Tired of wasting money on movies I'll only pull off the shelf once per few years, if that.

superpanavision70mm
08-03-2006, 09:59 AM
V FOR VENDETTA is a great film, but hardly an action film really. The only reason that the film did not do as well is because it was marketed way wrong. Warner is so poor at marketing their films and that's why so many of there films are bombing big time this year. It looks like they'll need some more Harry Potter to save them from bankrupcy. Case in point: if you have seen the trailer for V FOR VENDETTA you assume that the film is this all-out vigilante, post-apocalyptic, Matrix-esque film, but it's actually a smart, clever thriller/drama/mystery more than anything else with political motivation behind it. In some regard the film reminded me of BLADE RUNNER more than anything else...maybe because of it's pace and the unexpectedness around every corner. I never knew where the film was headed throughout.

Geoffcin
08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Wow, wow, wow. A thinking persons action flick. The best graphic novel adaptation I've ever seen. "Sin City" was good but this was great. I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea cause it makes so bold a political statement, but politcs aside it's just flat out one beautiful picture to watch and hear. Great acting, superior cast and London never looked so good, even if it was CGI. Won't buy it now, I'll wait for the "Collesctor's Edition".

Da Worfster

I took my daughter to see it at a state-of-the-art digital cinema. Production quality was first rate, but I found it was a little long winded, which is surprizing as it's based on a graphic novel. The novel is a bit more engaging too, as the sinister goverment was even more like our own, and as such even more scary.

Even so; I STILL rate Vendetta as one of the best movies I saw last year.

Ditto on your opinion of "Sin City" Worf; Although I thought it was more "comic book" like than Vendetta, and as such truer to the graphic novel style.

Defshep
08-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Finally got around to watching V last night. It really is a well done piece of work. I bought it, because I knew I would like it. I ended up loving it! In a strange way, the film's theme more closely resembles Braveheart than the Matrix. Hugo Weaving somehow manages to squeeze plenty of emotion from behind the Guy Fawkes mask. Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea, John Hurt, and the rest of the fine cast are totally believable. Wow, I could go on and on. On a side note, you should probably set aside any die-hard political views you may have before you watch. Remember, it's only a movie...isn't it?

eisforelectronic
08-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Finally got around to watching V last night. It really is a well done piece of work. I bought it, because I knew I would like it. I ended up loving it! In a strange way, the film's theme more closely resembles Braveheart than the Matrix. Hugo Weaving somehow manages to squeeze plenty of emotion from behind the Guy Fawkes mask. Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea, John Hurt, and the rest of the fine cast are totally believable. Wow, I could go on and on. On a side note, you should probably set aside any die-hard political views you may have before you watch. Remember, it's only a movie...isn't it?

Isn't it? Try watching this movie and then right after find one or two of those 9/11 conspiracy videos. May just be enough to make you quite the paranoid.

Defshep
08-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Isn't it? Try watching this movie and then right after find one or two of those 9/11 conspiracy videos. May just be enough to make you quite the paranoid.
Definitely. Especially when you remember V's words, "There are no coincidences."

superpanavision70mm
08-04-2006, 12:21 PM
No one said it resembled THE MATRIX.

Defshep
08-04-2006, 02:21 PM
No one said it resembled THE MATRIX.
There have been some critical comparisons, since the same production/writing team was used.

Defshep
08-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Since my last post, I've watched this again. I think it's the best film I've seen this year! I commented that you have to leave your politics at the door before viewing, and it looks like lots of folks can't seem to do this. I've seen so many conservative websites and reviewers gnashing their teeth over this film. I don't understand this. As a Christian, and a conservative (not necessarily republican), I saw the film as a cautionary tale of what happens when horrible atrocities are commited in the name of religion. The society visualized in V for Vendetta is not my idea of Christianity, therefore I was not offended. Madmen throughout history have done terrible things to honor their "gods". It was obvious to me that these particular madmen believed in nothing but power.
Probably a little deep for our friendly little forum. It just seems like this film hits a little too close to home for some. Maybe that's what makes them angry.

Worf101
08-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Since my last post, I've watched this again. I think it's the best film I've seen this year! I commented that you have to leave your politics at the door before viewing, and it looks like lots of folks can't seem to do this. I've seen so many conservative websites and reviewers gnashing their teeth over this film. I don't understand this. As a Christian, and a conservative (not necessarily republican), I saw the film as a cautionary tale of what happens when horrible atrocities are commited in the name of religion. The society visualized in V for Vendetta is not my idea of Christianity, therefore I was not offended. Madmen throughout history have done terrible things to honor their "gods". It was obvious to me that these particular madmen believed in nothing but power.
Probably a little deep for our friendly little forum. It just seems like this film hits a little too close to home for some. Maybe that's what makes them angry.

Your post is probably one of the most cogent, passionate/dispassionate discourses on the current state of politics and religion I've read on the web in many a time. Your post has given me a "little hope" that folks of differing views can find some common ground in this world without "shoutin' at" or "butcherin'" one another....

Thanks...

Da Worfster

Defshep
08-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Worfster. That really means a helluva lot. With what's going on in the world lately, I find myself questioning everything, and taking nothing at face value. It's not right or left, black or white, Christian, or Muslim, or Buddhist, whatever. It's right or wrong. The more discussions we the people can have openly -without regard to political or religious affiliation- the closer we can be keeping this a truily free society. I don't live in a box anymore. If movies like this one can spark debate, even if it is only a movie, it's a healthy, American thing. If you haven't noticed, I'm not that eloquent a writer, so I'll shut up now. Thanks again for the kind words, man.

Dusty Chalk
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
It's a good film, but it could have been greater. I'm not sure that Evie/Evey/EV/?sp's story couldn't have been ommitted entirely (and feel free to convince me otherwise -- I would like to be convinced that it was somehow crucial to the story, as I did kind of enjoy that aspect of the story). I would have preferred a more pure action flick -- more bloodletting! More violence! More explosions! I know of no movie that can't be made more satisfying that way. :) Well, no I enjoyed all the literary references, but I felt they were all in the beginning, and the rest of the movie was dumbed down.

Good, but not great, still gets two thumbs up from Dusty.

Worf101
08-08-2006, 07:56 AM
It's a good film, but it could have been greater. I'm not sure that Evie/Evey/EV/?sp's story couldn't have been ommitted entirely (and feel free to convince me otherwise -- I would like to be convinced that it was somehow crucial to the story, as I did kind of enjoy that aspect of the story). I would have preferred a more pure action flick -- more bloodletting! More violence! More explosions! I know of no movie that can't be made more satisfying that way. :) Well, no I enjoyed all the literary references, but I felt they were all in the beginning, and the rest of the movie was dumbed down.

Good, but not great, still gets two thumbs up from Dusty.

I've missed you mucho my compadre. For those of you who don't know DC is "old school". He used to have the funniest Avatar this side of Australia. It's good to see you back mein freuend. As for Evie... I think she was/is essential. She is "everywoman". She's underemployed, underpaid, seen what happens when the nail "sticks up" and is determined to lay low and play by the rules. She just want's to '"go along to get along" and survive. Life happens to her in a such a way that this church mouse turns in to a revolutionary/anarchist ready to die to affect change cause she's lost her fear. In this we see the way all revolutions are born, little individuals questioning the party line and saying "enough". V leaves his revolution in her hands cause she must carry it forward, she must shape the world that follows with her own will and grit, to build something after all the bombing and bloodshed has finished. She, IS essential.

Da Worfster

Worf101
08-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks, Worfster. That really means a helluva lot. With what's going on in the world lately, I find myself questioning everything, and taking nothing at face value. It's not right or left, black or white, Christian, or Muslim, or Buddhist, whatever. It's right or wrong. The more discussions we the people can have openly -without regard to political or religious affiliation- the closer we can be keeping this a truily free society. I don't live in a box anymore. If movies like this one can spark debate, even if it is only a movie, it's a healthy, American thing. If you haven't noticed, I'm not that eloquent a writer, so I'll shut up now. Thanks again for the kind words, man. Eloquence is oft overated, there can never be enough plain spoken, heartfelt truth in this world. If presented with sincerity and an open mind to the views of others... what matter the fluff. Good on ya mate...

Da Worfster

Dusty Chalk
08-08-2006, 02:40 PM
As for Evie... I think she was/is essential. She is "everywoman"...In this we see the way all revolutions are born...Okay, I'll buy that.

Oh, and "hi" -- I still hang around at Rave Recs mostly. I just stopped hanging around Favourite Films (and probably will continue to do so, sorry), as, unlike music, it is impossible to discuss films without spoiling them, hence you are forced to either keep up or get out. I chose get out.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Okay, I am totally late to the water cooler on this one. However this movie rocked to the upmost. It delivered on so many levels, story line, pace, audio and video quality. It was very refreshing to see Natalie Portmann actually act for a change. Some of V's dialog was just off the hook, especially when he does all these words with V's in them strung together. I got chills. Two or more thumbs up(can I borrow more than two thumbs?)

Dusty Chalk
08-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Two or more thumbs up(can I borrow more than two thumbs?)My scale goes from zero to three. But three is reserved for unqualified recommendations.

Groundbeef
09-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Clearly I am in the minority on this one, but I was really not into the movie at all. Very long winded, and more to the point...it seemed to be trying TO hard to come to some sort of conclusion. The whole bit about the labs blowing up/ fake capture/other assorted plot twists, just didn't work for me.

Frankly, I couldn't even watch the last 1/3. Glad for you all that could watch and enjoy it, but it just wasn't for me.

I did enjoy Minority Report, The Island, (the name escapes me now had Will Smith and Gene Hackman). I like conspiricy movies, but just not "V".

Dusty Chalk
09-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Enemy of the State? AFAIK, that's the only movie they've done together.

Groundbeef
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Yep, thats it, thanks!