PS2 to computer LCD screen [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS2 to computer LCD screen

audio amateur
08-02-2006, 02:50 AM
fellow members,
I hardly ever look at this video section so perhaps this question has already been asked.
I am wondering if there is any way to connect a playstation 2 to a TFT computer screen (LCD). Is such a thing possible? The screen has DVI and VGA video inputs.

audio amateur
08-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Well so much for an answer. i guess it's pretty rare that anyone would want to do such a thing. Still waiting for input, but if anyone could also explain the difference between HDMI and DVI video signals, I'd be grateful.

edtyct
08-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Forgive me, but Playstations are not my province. However, if the LCD monitor has a VGA input, you can use it with a transponder to access component signals if your console sends them. If it has a DVI-D input, it will should accept DVI-D feeds from a DVD player, or any other consumer digital device, w/o HDCP (sources w/o HDCP can send content to displays whether they have HDCP or not).

DVI comes in two basic flavors--analog and digital. The analog variety (DVI-A) is exclusive to computing and is incompatible with its digital counterpart (DVI-D), which has more of a presence in consumer video, though certain PC installations use it, too. DVI also has a dual connector, DVI-I, which is capable of both analog and digital performance, which is rare and largely unnecessary.

HDMI is in some sense the A/V industry's direct response to limitations in the DVI format, which originated within the computer industry and isn't altogether suited to home theater video. Unlike DVI, HDMI carries audio (venturing soon into hi def DD and DTS), and it is more versatile than DVI RGB as a video carrier, becoming even more versatile as the standard evolves (higher bit rate, larger color gamut, etc.). At this moment, the video capabilities of DVI and HDMI are nearly interchangeable (though sometimes mismatched in digital greyscale and color space), but DVI will be left in the dust before too long. HDMI also promises more control of hardware than is possible with DVI. What the two formats share is the digital copy protection (HDCP) that content providers crave, which allows the transmission of HD signals as well as of standard signals upconverted to higher resolutions (not to be confused with actual HD) from external processors (like DVD players).

bobsticks
08-08-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm not a big gaming guy, but I think I may know what you're looking for. Try the link below, hopefully it will help...

http://www.midwest-games.com/prsccovgabox.html

audio amateur
08-09-2006, 04:10 AM
Very nice bobsticks, that's basicaly what I am looking for, thanks.
Many thanks also to the DVI/HDMI input, edtyct. I have yet to see a DVI output on DVD players, do they really exist? Also, what exactly do HDMI jacks look like?
Lastly, how different are VGA and DVI-A signals, quality wise?

bobsticks
08-09-2006, 06:16 AM
The Denon 1910 is one of the few budget players with this option that hasn't been plagued with qc issues. For a few hundy more you can move into the 2910 which is a relatively serious piece of hardware within its pricepoint.
I am using the Samsung HD841 which is also equiped with DVI. I've had three of them in different systems over the last couple years. Never had a problem, although I may be the exception to the rule as the net is rife with qc complaints on these units. I'm waiting for all three to die at the same time :)

Cheers