and now, for something completely terrible... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : and now, for something completely terrible...

3-LockBox
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77B0LTxG5bM&search=spock%27s%20beard

Well, you couldn't ever accuse these guys of being pretty boys.

Boy I'm glad eMpTyV doesn't do prog videos.

ForeverAutumn
08-01-2006, 01:16 PM

Maybe it's just the heat, but that video makes me dizzy.

3-LockBox
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Maybe it's just the heat, but that video makes me dizzy.

Maybe you swoon...

Troy
08-01-2006, 01:34 PM
What a trainwreck . . .

-Jar-
08-01-2006, 04:41 PM

I'm totally confused. Aren't Spock's Beard a prog band?

Good lord, that's almost a spot on immitation of modern emo pop music.

Except, they're too old and too ugly to be playing emo.

This is just bizarre. Actually, that song wouldn't sound out of place on Kid's Bop 14..

-jar

Dusty Chalk
08-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Isn't emo screamed...and harder? I don't think that's emo...
Maybe it's just the heat, but that video makes me dizzy.I don't think it's the heat. That editing was...ralph-worthy. Nice concept, completely overdone.

Troy
08-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Aint my prog . . .

3-LockBox
08-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Ya know, I'm a Spock's Beard fan. Liked the album 'V'. But as for All On A Sunday, I never liked that song anyway. Yesterday might be the first time I listened all the way through to that song in 4 or 5 years. Worst song in the band's canon.

Can't fault them for trying to make a pop song; they gotta pay bills, right?. But couple a bad song to a spine-tinglingly bad video...ya jes hafta laff. Its like karaoke...you don't hate someone just cuz they suck at that particular moment. Its hilarious to laugh at their attempts at serious pop music cuz its so outta character from what you've known of the band. I'm sure they've regretted ever making that video. I do.

Oh, YouTube!

Resident Loser
08-02-2006, 04:45 AM
...I guess that explains it...

Thought the song was good and the video, even with the cuts and fades was better than most I've had the misfortune to witness...

Even their cover of George Harrison's Beware Of Darkness (another video @that site) was good, if a bit Yes-y...

Hmmm...there actually is music out there?

jimHJJ(...fancy that...)

kexodusc
08-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Ya know, I actually don't mind the song, not my favorite, but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt that it was a concept or statement of some sort that I just "wuzn't getting"...catchy, upbeat tune in a era where music always has to be dark and sad, way too much use of minor scales in rock these days...

The video, well, I don't get it either, but I don't particularly get most videos - always just considered them "visual - filler" that was played during the song on TV.

Whatever...still way better than the stupid "we-want-to-make-a-statement-without-taking-any-risks-or-actually-making-a-statement" September Ends video Green Day put out.

3-LockBox
08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
There is older concert footage of them doing their cover of George Harrison's Beware Of Darkness that is actually pretty good. There is also newer footage of them doing part of the Sid suite from Feel Euphoria. Wasn't a fan of the Sid thing but it is amazing to watch D'Virgilo bang away at the drums while singing, especially considering his aggressive style.

I love YouTube.

3-LockBox
08-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Whatever...still way better than the stupid "we-want-to-make-a-statement-without-taking-any-risks-or-actually-making-a-statement" September Ends video Green Day put out.

Yer right, most videos do suck.

I can count the number of videos I ever care to see again on one hand.

-Jar-
08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Isn't emo screamed...and harder? I don't think that's emo...I don't think it's the heat. That editing was...ralph-worthy. Nice concept, completely overdone.

well some of it, the problem is that the term "emo" gets applied to everything from screaming hardcore music like Glassjaw and Avenged Sevenfold, to lite pop emo like Jimmy Eat World and Saves the Day.. That weird Spock's Beard video really does lean towards the latter, though it's not quite as "punk"

-jar