B&W 805 signature vs Anthony Gallo Ref 3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W 805 signature vs Anthony Gallo Ref 3

csukasem
08-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Any idea regarding B&W 805 signature vs Anthony Gallo Ref 3 ??!!

Which would be your choice ??!!

Thanks

Sukasem

texlle
08-01-2006, 04:03 AM
I've always been a fan of B&W, but my best recommendation to you would to be to audition these speakers in person if you have the option. I've heard the 805 Nautilus and they sound very nice with amazing detail and range. However, the Gallo's have a side firing subwoofer, so they're going to be heavier on the bass than the bookshelf B&W's.

Dusty Chalk
08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I've heard both, you really can't lose with either choice. But yeah, completely different beasts -- B&W 805 is a standmount/bookshelf, Gallo Ref 3 is a floorstander/full range. I'd go with the latter, myself, as you would never need a sub.

Florian
08-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Actively Bi-amped Gallos will run circles around the 805.

-Flo

paul_pci
08-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Wasn't Woochifer remarking recently that full range speakers with a built in sub can be a detriment to a system since it considerably restricts optimum placement of the sub? That might be a consideration, as placeement of the Gallo might backfire on you (yes that;s a shameless pun).

superpanavision70mm
08-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I agree with Flo! Gallo's for sure!

Woochifer
08-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Wasn't Woochifer remarking recently that full range speakers with a built in sub can be a detriment to a system since it considerably restricts optimum placement of the sub? That might be a consideration, as placeement of the Gallo might backfire on you (yes that;s a shameless pun).

Yep, you're right that in general, I'm not a fan of powered towers, but that certainly shouldn't preclude anyone else from trying them out. One of the primary advantages of using an external subwoofer is that you can more optimally locate the unit within the room, and more easily connect a parametric equalizer to perform any needed room corrections. Indeed, powered towers can produce a massive amount of bass extension, but the typical front wall placement of these speakers is the exact location with the least bass reinforcement. Depending on the design (i.e. whether the powered tower can accept an external LFE connection and whether it has any crossover settings on board), the options for correcting any room-induced bass anomalies by changing the placement and/or equalizing the low frequencies are typically more limited with a powered tower.

I've not heard the Gallo Reference speakers so I cannot comment on those specifically. From what I'm reading, I'm not sure how to classify those speakers -- out of the box, they're definitely not powered towers even though they use the same side-firing woofer configuration as a lot of other tower speakers with built-in subs. For one thing, the Gallos use full range speaker connections that also power the woofer, but have a separate set of binding posts that connect to a second voice coil on the woofers. This second set of binding posts connects to an external amp, which supposedly extends the lower frequency response from 34 Hz to 22 Hz. This design would seem to allow for attaching a parametric equalizer, which would at least address some issues in the lower octave.

drseid
08-02-2006, 01:15 AM
The Gallos would definitely be my choice out of the two... I don't know if they really get as low as 22 hz with any authority, but they definitely give you more low-end sound than the B&Ws, while providing a nice seamless top-to-bottom sound IMO. The external amp is a must with the purchase, BTW.

---Dave

csukasem
08-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot. I've got some very good feedback here. Another question.

What would you say regarding B&W HTM2 vs Anthony Gallo Due ?!

Sukasem

RGA
08-02-2006, 08:03 AM
You need to try and compare an apple to an apple - standmount versus standmount full range versus full range. Bass is important but it's not the only important thing. The speaker that presents more bass (a full range speaker) versus something relatively light in the bass could tip the scales in favour of one or the other. The full range speaker will sound FULL and powerul while the Standmount could sound thin and bright. On the other hand the standmount could also sound faster and less coloured than a big floorstander.

The N805 is certainly a good speaker. You could try a cheaper speaker such as a Dynaudio 52 and match it with a good sub or possibly two subs provided you can get the integration right - I have not had any luck with that but you might. I am leary on speakers with active side-fireing subs built in because well I have read RAVE reviews about many such speakers from NHT (3.3), POLK LS series and Snell's B-Minor and despite all the raves they have all to my ear sounded dreadful. Nevertheless, you may feel otherwise and you simply must listen to loudspeakers for yourself. The problem I had with these designs has always been driver integration and a one note bass sound. If you move the speakers to get the bass better it usually screws up something way more important - midrange and the as one sound. Also I find B&W generally overpriced -- I like the N805 but I think you could spend about 30-40% less cash and get just as good an end result (though perhaps not as sexy looking).

basite
08-05-2006, 01:31 AM
i think it's a weird comparisation, since the b&w's are bookshelve speakers (not the biggest ones neither, and the gallo's are big, nasty floorstanders, if i was the b&w speaker, and i was on a shelf, i'd be afraid to fall of when the gallo's released their bass, a better b&w speaker to compare to the gallo's would be the 803s or the 803d. so go for the gallo's

Florian
08-05-2006, 04:41 AM
Well as we always say in this forum: " How much is it?" If they are both eat up the same amount of cash, then buy the Gallos. If you need to spend 8K more for a B&W that compares, then i have already said enough :)

jrhymeammo
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm extremely pleased with my speakers. I've never heard Gallo so I cannot speak on that. I am not obligated to certain speakers. For that matter, I would give Gallo a try if I had more budget to play with. I love listening to different setup/sound since this ia hobby instead of a marriage. I wish I could change speakers as often as I change girlfriends though. It's easier to find a pair of speakers that are worthwhile than......
Like some have stated above, you are comparing bookshelf to a floorstander. 805 definitely needs a sub to play 98% of my music.

csukasem
08-31-2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks everybody. The conclusion is Gallo is much better to my ears. The fact is that I used to own B&W 805 signature, but not anymore.

Gallos' are so amazing !! Stongly recommend.

Sukasem

nightflier
08-31-2006, 01:41 PM
csukasem,

And you've got to love the look too. I mean not only do you get two powerful woofers, but the design is way out there. I heard the ref II's in a showroom not too long ago and they were amazing for the price. The looks is the icing on the cake.

Dusty Chalk
08-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Good call. I listen to a friend's pair of Gallo Ref 3s for several hours every other week or so. They don't suck.

Florian
08-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Good choice!

My advice is to save up for the active crossover and the dedicated bass amp Gallo offers :-)

csukasem
09-12-2006, 04:10 AM
:16: Gallos' have made me fly !!!!!!!!!

basite
09-12-2006, 08:53 AM
good choice, what's next?