tri-amplified [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : tri-amplified

audio amateur
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
hello folks,
I am looking into getting an active crossover for 3 way tower speakers in my future set-up.
I don't have much experience with them, but I do know what I would like:
-RCA in and outputs.
-possibility to adjust the (two) crossover frequencies, and slope (preferably steep, up to 48dB/octave, if possible)
-low frequency filter (adjustable under 50Hz?)
-If possible LFE outputs, with adjustable frequency cut-off and again steep slope.

I don't know what the current market offers, and if all these options can be put in one. I'd be thankful if you could give me some headers (brands, model numbers, or perhaps ask me more questions? as far as what I am looking for). I'm looking for a good product, preferably inexpensive.

note: this is for a two channel setups, which would most likely include 2 subs.

Dusty Chalk
07-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Sure, lots of such products exist -- mostly in the professional arena. Check out names like Behringer, Rane, dbx, and Art. If you want to go high-end, the best name I know of is Marchand. I don't have any personal experience with any of these (so can't provide quality info), but you can search for online reviews, once you look up model numbers.

Here (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=breadCrumb&A=search&Q=&ci=1653) for example.

audio amateur
08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks Chalk, have looked into some on the link but they all seem to be for the pro audio arena...
I'm not planning on going very high end simply because I dont have the money.
Doesn't anyone here have bi or tri amped speakers? Could you help me out here?
Suggestions greatly appreciated:)

Florian
08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
1000$ Marchand Tube X-O like Dusty recommended.

-Flo

audio amateur
08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
i come to realize that tri- amplifying requires a lot more funds than I previously thought it did. It's simply not time yet, however thanks for the info.

I guess Marchand is the way to go. Haven't seen many 8th order xovers (48dB slope). They seem to be pretty rare.

Florian
08-02-2006, 01:43 PM
You know what i recommend to you my friend, and i mean this with all the hope and your musical well beeing.

Save 500 bucks and buy a pair of Acoustat 1+1's. Buy a Tact RCS 2.0 (800$ used) and a matching Tact power amp. No crossover, perfect integration, no box, incredible speed, fully room corrected and live happily efter after.

The End

audio amateur
08-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Florian. I think I am beginning to understand why nobody likes you:p
Well, when I get the money, don't worry, you'll be the first one informed. We can even go shopping together if ya like!:)
And hopefully i'll get another go at those 32 subs, with proper test tones this time;)
ill be looking into the acoustats

Florian
08-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Florian. I think I am beginning to understand why nobody likes you:p
Well, when I get the money, don't worry, you'll be the first one informed. We can even go shopping together if ya like!:)
And hopefully i'll get another go at those 32 subs, with proper test tones this time;)
ill be looking into the acoustats

Going shopping with me? All the stuff i like is not made anymore, with a VERY VERY few exeptions. But you can use me as a guiding spirit :-)

Feanor
08-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks Chalk, have looked into some on the link but they all seem to be for the pro audio arena...
I'm not planning on going very high end simply because I dont have the money.
Doesn't anyone here have bi or tri amped speakers? Could you help me out here?
Suggestions greatly appreciated:)

I'd look very hard a Behringer DCX2498 3-way digital crossover. 6-48 dB per octave plus equalizers, all for 465 CHF (or likely less at discount).

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

audio amateur
08-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks Feanor but it appears to have XLR? in and outputs. I wouldn't know what to do with those.

Florian
08-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks Feanor but it appears to have XLR? in and outputs. I wouldn't know what to do with those.

Its a simple balanced inputs and outputs. Pretty much all good amps and preamps use balanced. Even if yours dont, just use a adaptor :-)

audio amateur
08-04-2006, 02:37 PM
so they are not XLR? And what if the preamp does have balanced, will it have RCA in's for a cd player let's say?

Dusty Chalk
08-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah, they are XLR. (In the professional world, there is also TRS, but the Behringer is XLR, as per this picture (http://www.behringer.com/02_products/proddetail.cfm?lang=ENG&id=DCX2496&type=210).

If a preamp does balanced, it will usually have "single-ended" inputs as well (RCA's), but make sure it does, otherwise you will need another adapter.

I think what Florian is saying is that it is fairly straightforward to get an adapter that will go from single-ended/RCA's to the Behringer (balanced/XLR), and then back again, for the rest of your audio chain. Just make sure you get the pins right (+ should go to +, etc.).