Anyone have Extended Warranties on players? Any Recommendations? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Extended Warranties on players? Any Recommendations?

DanGinCT
07-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi All,
I know some feel extended warranties are a rip off but after my Pioneer DV 588 went funky after only 6 months & my Panny RV 31k died after 2 years, I'm seriously considering one. J&R has one that will extend for 2 years beyond the Sony 1 yr. warranty on a Sony DVPNS90V. The warranty is only $18 extra, seems like a good deal, no charge for parts & labor. The warranty co. is REPAIR MASTER, anyone have experience w/them?

Also, when I 1st called Pioneer about my player, the rep said they may not be able to help me because I bought it from Amazon.com & they're not an autherized dealer. Nothing was mentioned about it after that & Pioneer's replacing my player (w/a refurb) but is that corect? I thought if I bought the unit new from someplace like Amazon the warranty will be honored. Theres another discussion on this at http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=25915. I was going to go for an Oppo 970 but now am having 2nd thoughts due to no extended warranty available :-(

JohnMichael
07-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi All,
I know some feel extended warranties are a rip off but after my Pioneer DV 588 went funky after only 6 months & my Panny RV 31k died after 2 years, I'm seriously considering one. J&R has one that will extend for 2 years beyond the Sony 1 yr. warranty on a Sony DVPNS90V. The warranty is only $18 extra, seems like a good deal, no charge for parts & labor. The warranty co. is REPAIR MASTER, anyone have experience w/them?

Also, when I 1st called Pioneer about my player, the rep said they may not be able to help me because I bought it from Amazon.com & they're not an autherized dealer. Nothing was mentioned about it after that & Pioneer's replacing my player (w/a refurb) but is that corect? I thought if I bought the unit new from someplace like Amazon the warranty will be honored. Theres another discussion on this at http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=25915. I was going to go for an Oppo 970 but now am having 2nd thoughts due to no extended warranty available :-(

In my days of retail sales we offered extended warranties. You could make a lot of money selling them and once the company had so much money in escrow for repairs it was pure profit. They did a lot of studies on products to determine when they would begin to need repairs. Most warranties were extended just up to that point. Believe me they know about when the product will need repair. I did buy a replacement warranty on a digital camera I sent to a friend in Iraq. I figured if the sand did not get it something else may.