Need rsonator(?) for Lansing L-44 speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need rsonator(?) for Lansing L-44 speaker

DoneThat
07-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Hello-I am in need of a resonator(I hope that is what it's called) for a Lansing L44 speaker. The resonator is a dummy woofer in a compression type enclosure and fits a 7 inch hole. The previous one developed a rattle so I threw it out.
Any idea where I can buy a replacement ?

JohnMichael
07-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Hello-I am in need of a resonator(I hope that is what it's called) for a Lansing L44 speaker. The resonator is a dummy woofer in a compression type enclosure and fits a 7 inch hole. The previous one developed a rattle so I threw it out.

You might want to check with www.partsexpress.com or www.madisound.com. I am not familiar with that speaker but some speakers use a passive radiator to help reinforce the bass. A passive radiator has a cone and surround without a voice coil and magnet. Good luck and welcome to AudioReview.

kexodusc
07-28-2006, 07:46 AM

The rattle might very well have been fixable, and if not, the passive radiator (what you call the resonator) likely had info on it.

Ya can't just put any ol' 7" PR in the hole and hope for the right results. Best contact the company or take the other one off to find out what make of driver it is.

audio_dude
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
...what kex said...

ya, partsexpress, and find out the manufacturer

DoneThat
07-28-2006, 10:47 AM
The speakers are James B Lansing L44. Nothing on the passive radiator that I can see.

JohnMichael
07-28-2006, 11:47 AM
If you check out the links they both will have a phone number and they should be able to help you find the correct passive radiator. If they can not help check with JBL and see if they might have the part.

likeitloud
07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Welcome to AR. If you own vintage Altec/JBL gear, make Lansing Heritage.Com
one on your favorites list. Every part/part # is there, and much much more. BTW,
L 44's were released in 1970, and are but one edition in a long line of "L" series
speakers. Not that great at low volume, but crank them up, throw on some VH
and it just don't get any better. Check Ebay, I saw that radator on there a few
days ago. Search vintage speakers. Good luck

2chAlex
07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Check out simplyspeakers.com that's what they do, repair, parts, refoam kits and the like.

DoneThat
07-28-2006, 01:18 PM
The old Lansing woofers were replaced about 12 years ago with a pair of 8"ers from Madison Sound. I am of the opinion that I don't need to be that speclar about the replacement passive radiator to go in there. Just received an email from Madison Sound and they don't have any passive radiators.

likeitloud
07-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Okaay, well it's not a jbl l 44 anymore anyway. If you just want sound out of the
enclosure, any driver etc. can be thrown in there. That was like putting a 69
camaro z-28 in the crusher. I'm going for the JD. :sad:

2chAlex
07-28-2006, 01:44 PM
JD, is that the fine gentleman from Lynchburg?

likeitloud
07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
It is for a fact, with his BUD, and some cool tunes. A great threesome, Ah forget it
you know what I mean.

DoneThat
07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
You're right-they are not JBL's any more. FWIW, I wouldn't put used passive radiators back in anyway. Why risk have them go bad again. So, I might as well find some cheapo 8 " woofer to fill the hole. Anything is better than the way it is now.

2chAlex
07-28-2006, 06:38 PM
As I mentioned before, simplyspeakers thing is older speakers such as JBL give em a call. They're familiar enough to know what will work and what won't. They sell replacement speakers or new style. Such as going from a foam surround speaker to a rubber surround.

DoneThat
07-29-2006, 06:30 AM
Ok 2chAlex-thanks for the reference to Simplyspeakers. I missed it the first time cuz this forum didn't high-light the url. Nice site. I sent off a couple of emails to them. What's interesting is that I spend some time in winter only 30 miles away from them, I just might carry some spekers with me and have them do re-foams next winter.

2chAlex
07-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Just thought you might have missed it (I forgot the link).