Got goosebumps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got goosebumps

givendale
07-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Just been sitting on the couch listening to "Stairway to Heaven". Got goosebumps!!

Anybody else have a song that does this?

:thumbsup:

Florian
07-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Dont laugh now, but the final act of Phantom of the Opera :cornut:

givendale
07-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi Florian,

Read alot of your posts and it does not suprise me. I think I'll make a list of all the music that does this to me and use it as a reference CD when looking at new equipment.

P.S. I did have a little chuckle

Florian
07-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Read a lot of my posts eh :ihih:
I hope nothing "too shockin" ;-)

likeitloud
07-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Yes, ERUPTION, thru my 4344 monitors. It's 78 all over again. With a cold bud of
course. A great 90 seconds of history.

shokhead
07-28-2006, 06:30 AM

Just listening to the cd last night. Saw the play 3 times so far. I was lucky enough to see the org. It was the best.

audio_dude
07-28-2006, 10:04 AM
STAIRWAY ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Phantom of the Opera is aawesome too...!!
lol

and don't bash me for this, but eminem's "when i'm gone"

SlumpBuster
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM

No shame. We all have our guilty pleasures. Juice Newton's "Angel in the Morning" gives me goosebumps. So does the opening side of Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night." :cornut:

But, on the "cooler" side, The White Stripe's live cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" gives me goosebumps.

DaHaq
07-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Off the top of my head, Scheherazade. There are quite a few moments on All Things Must Pass as well. Most recently, Boards of Canada's Trans Canada Highway EP has been giving me the chills

Edit - SlumpBuster, that Jolene cover is indeed amazing

teledynepost
07-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Most recently, Boards of Canada's Trans Canada Highway EP has been giving me the chills

you know, I think I recently bought this 12", I will have to look. I'll have to give it a spin, but I ended up trading The Campfire Headphase almost immediately after I got it (For Luke Vibert - Yoseph 3LP which was a good deal for me)

RoyY51
07-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Don Henley's "Sunset Grill". Don't know why, just does.

givendale
07-29-2006, 04:50 PM
"Unfinished Sympathy" - Massive Attack

BC Dave
07-31-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't own any of his CDs, but any time I hear Harry Chapin's Cats in the Cradle on the radio I get a chill up my spine. That song has some of the most powerful lyrics I've ever heard. Anytime I get a little impatient with my six year old son that song comes to mind. Absolutely haunting. I can't imagine not having a good relationship with my kids when I am old.

JoeE SP9
07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
There is something about Stravinsky's Firebird Suite 1919 version that just makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Can't figure it out but it does.:idea:

trollgirl
07-31-2006, 05:16 PM
...like the other evening I was listening to Kirile Loo's "Saatus". She's from rural Estonia, and the music is runic verse singing with traditional instruments. It's very beautiful, haunting stuff, from another age. Anyway, I was enjoying how beautiful it was, and then thinking about what is going on the the world, and I cried. Another time, I was listening to something or other by Varttina on a friend's Beyer DT 880's, and even though it was a very familiar piece, over the Beyers, it brought me to tears. Goosebumps? That's for the Stax, waiting for a song to start, and HEARING the singers mouth open. Mostly, it's a confluence of mood, music, fidelity, and that indefinable something that [CLICKS!] and brings it all together. Ah what a moment! Ah, what a chill!!

Laz

JoeE SP9
08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Laz, what kind of Stax earspeakers do you have?

The Tahitijack
08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Stainway.........oh no... As a musician let me tell you that there are a handful of songs that, for a guitar player, are like the sound of finger nails across a choc board. Stairway To Heaven is one of them. Its always requested and can be heard most any hour at any Guitar Center, especially in the acoustic room. Having said that its an easy song to learn and has an instantly recognizable intro as does Margueritaville, Brown Eyed Girl, Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama all of which make most bands look up at the ceiling when they are requested. Just my, non-audiofile, 2 cents....

swicken
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Stainway.........oh no... As a musician let me tell you that there are a handful of songs that, for a guitar player, are like the sound of finger nails across a choc board. Stairway To Heaven is one of them. Its always requested and can be heard most any hour at any Guitar Center, especially in the acoustic room. Having said that its an easy song to learn and has an instantly recognizable intro as does Margueritaville, Brown Eyed Girl, Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama all of which make most bands look up at the ceiling when they are requested. Just my, non-audiofile, 2 cents....

If I hear one more person say to me 'PLAY SWEET HOME ALABAMA' or 'PLAY FREEBIRD' I'ma shoot someone.

Woochifer
08-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Just last night, got them goosebumps listening to The Brand New Heavies' "Never Stop" -- a long-time favorite track and classic from the rare groove/acid jazz heyday. Hadn't played the album version in a long time (been mostly listening to the remix and demo versions), and listening to it just brought it all back.

Planning to buy the Heavies' new album (first one in over a decade with N'Dea Davenport on vocals), so I've been getting myself reacquainted with their previous albums. I get a similar reaction from their Brother, Sister album, but not quite as pronounced because I play it more frequently (much better album overall than their debut, but "Never Stop" is their standout song).

givendale
08-03-2006, 02:00 AM

Could not stand the thing and I think a 20 odd year hiatus from the song has given me a new perspective. However, I feel your pain:6:

RoyY51
08-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Two more to add to the musician's "hate list": Proud Mary ("play Rollin On The River'!") and Moondance. Both seem to go on forever.

Worf101
08-03-2006, 05:13 AM

Could not stand the thing and I think a 20 odd year hiatus from the song has given me a new perspective. However, I feel your pain:6:

As a musician I can feel for you. I'm in a funk soul band and still I get requests for some of the above. But the ones that kill me are:

1. "Mustang Sally" - Jeeze Louise, I hate this song so much we put an original tune on our first album called "Shoot That Car!". You can guess what I'm singing about.

2. "Play That Funky Music (White Boy)" . I'm a large, muscular and dark Black Man. Do you think there's something a tad odd/racist about asking me repeatedly to sing this song?

3. "Free Beer, Flea Bird, etc... " Unnh what part of "we're a Funk Soul Band, don't you understand."

All that being said, we did launch into an impromptu version of "Funk 49" two Saturday's ago that brought the house down. Just a song I'd heard all my life and figured out on the fly...

Da Worfster