Compatibility issues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility issues

y_yongs
07-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi,

This is my current 2-channel system line-up. Are there any mismatch or compatibility issues?

Power Amp : VTL ST-80
Pre: VTL TL-2
CD Player: NAD C542i
Speaker: Vienna Haydn
Interconnects: Audioquest G-Snake
Speaker Cable: DH Labs SilverSonic T-14
Speaker Stand: OmniMount Cosmic
Surge Protection: Monster HTS 3500-MKII

Thanks.

paul_pci
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Perhaps the more crucial question is not whether your components are compatible with each other (like Vienna by the way) but how compatible have you made your system with your listening room. What acoustic treatments, adjustments have you explored or made? The interaction between your system and your room is far more volatile than within your system.

Woochifer
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Paul's right. The variables associated with the room interactions will have a much greater effect on what you hear than changes to any of the individual components in your proposed system, aside from maybe the speakers. What you hear in a dealer demo room can sound very different from what you hear at home, and how you setup the equipment can be every bit as important as your choice of equipment.

y_yongs
07-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Thank you for the great insight. What formula or factors, if there's any, should I consider when setting up my equipments to have it interact amicably with the listening room?

I am nuts over tube amp and I have been searching for info on what is/are the ideal match(es) between the tube amp and the speakers as well as between the amp and the source components. Any advices?

Thanks.