Future Shop is funny [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Future Shop is funny

chanterc
07-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi all, newbie here making his first post. About a month ago I bought the Athena AS-P6000 floor model from Future Shop for $299 (Can), altogether came to 380 something. Today, I got a phone call saying they sold it to me by accident, and asked if I could bring it back. They said they'd trade me a Velodyne DPS-12 straight up for my trouble. Not bad, but I really wanted a bottom-firing sub. I can't find a direct comparison between the two, so I'm asking for some advice from the experts! Thanks a bunch.

Dusty Chalk
07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Today, I got a phone call saying they sold it to me by accident...That is funny.

If it's any consolation, the Velodyne goes for 2ce the Athena, yet still...just the fact that they want it back makes me think there's something wrong with this picture. Do they want additional money? If not, then jump on it.

Isn't the Velodyne bottom-firing as well?

Maybe you didn't get the right Athena -- check the model number of the sub you actually have.

Also, see if there's money or cocaine stuffed in the port.

kexodusc
07-27-2006, 01:31 PM
What the hell? That's even nutty for FutureShop. Tell them you want an extended warranty too - and ditto - check for crack in the port tube.

N. Abstentia
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Is that even legal?

audio_dude
07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
ya, futureshops been acting REALLY wierd since they got bought out by worst-buy (best-buy)

meh, i hate their audio section, tried to haggle, it was a no-go...well, maybe when a huge sale comes up...?

chanterc
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Coke in the port, of course, that's why it sounded so.... wait for it..... "high" (sorry)

Thanks guys, I'll check it out and try to beat them down a bit further. Try to win one back from Future Shop for once.

bfalls
07-28-2006, 05:03 AM
After taking a quick peek at the specs and looking around online. Prices for the Athena range from $300-$400, where the Velodyne starts at $400. The Velodyne has DSP processing with several custom programs (didn't say if the programs were user adjustable, but I would assume they would be). Velodyne has been making quality subwoofers for audiophiles way before Home Theater made subs popular. Unless there's something unique about the Athena (size, color, WAF!) I would go with the Velodyne. But of course, first check the port for drugs, diamonds, emeralds, illegal aliens, before you decide. It may seem strange they want you to return the Athena, but it makes good business sense. Offering you a better deal and giving the other customer what he ordered may cost them a bit, but makes two customers happy. Why kill potential future sales by alienating one or the other. It's a good business gamble.

kexodusc
07-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Offering you a better deal and giving the other customer what he ordered may cost them a bit, but makes two customers happy. Why kill potential future sales by alienating one or the other. It's a good business gamble.

I thought of that too, but it just doesn't add up. Why not just order another Athena - it's not like they don't have tons out there. One customer gets inconvenienced, the other gets an open box, slightly used sub.

Very weird indeed. But I agree, get the Velodyne.

audio_dude
07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
milk it for all its worth!!!

try to talk them into giving you something even better!!!

chanterc
07-28-2006, 10:31 AM
My concern is whether the front firing Velodyne is going to be harder to place in my room than the bottom firing Athena. I've always preferred bottom-firing because of the ease in room placement, but I've never extensively tested front-firing so maybe I'm just clueless. Any thoughts on front-firing room flexibility? How much more precise should one be?

kexodusc
07-28-2006, 10:39 AM
My concern is whether the front firing Velodyne is going to be harder to place in my room than the bottom firing Athena. I've always preferred bottom-firing because of the ease in room placement, but I've never extensively tested front-firing so maybe I'm just clueless. Any thoughts on front-firing room flexibility? How much more precise should one be?

The wavelenght of frequencies below 80 Hz starts at about 14 ft and grows to over 50 ft in the low 20Hz region...the front firing vs. bottom firing issue really isn't as big as most people make it out to be...bass signals that low are not directional, and I doubt you could tell the angle the woofer was mounted.

I'd say it's a non-issue. Sub placement is more a function of floor space and room acoustics...the room acoustics won't change with the woofer's mounting position, and your room's furniture layout won't either...

Dusty Chalk
07-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Front-firing is only a minor issue. As has been previously said, lower frequencies tend to be less directional. You have to worry about boundary reinforcement, but you should have to worry about that with a bottom-firer as well. One of the nice things you can do with a front-firer is turn it around -- with a bottom-firer, its position is its position, and turning it around won't do anything. With a front-firer, you can try pointing it towards the wall and away from the wall, and they'll sound slightly different.

One other big difference between the two is the size of the amp. The Athena, IIRC, has an 800 watt amp (!), which is always nice when it comes to subs (more power == more control...usually).

chanterc
07-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Ended up with the Velodyne DPS-12, tried it out, very happy. Much crisper, less boomy than the Athena. Thanks for the advice y'all, it came it handy. Happy listening!