My first new TOY of the Grand system.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My first new TOY of the Grand system....

Florian
07-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeppie.....i bought my first new toy. The new TACT RCS 2.2XP ADAA. Comming from the US fresh home to pappa :cornut:

Feanor
07-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeppie.....i bought my first new toy. The new TACT RCS 2.2XP ADAA. Comming from the US fresh home to pappa :cornut:

So the TACT is your preamp? The TACT does room correction and does it in the digital domain, right?

Did you consider the DEQX? If so, how did you decide?

Florian
07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Well its the very new one.

Does Automatic Room correction in the time domain. All digital with 0.5Hz accuracy. Build in preamps and d/a conversion. The DEQX has less resolution, not as module based and doesnt have dynamic room correction which adjust the response according to the volume in room automatically.

And i got a good deal of paying 5100$ instead of the regular 5700$ for it :)

http://www.tactlab.com/Products/RCS22XP/index.html

Feanor
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Well its the very new one.

Does Automatic Room correction in the time domain. All digital with 0.5Hz accuracy. Build in preamps and d/a conversion. The DEQX has less resolution, not as module based and doesnt have dynamic room correction which adjust the response according to the volume in room automatically.

And i got a good deal of paying 5100$ instead of the regular 5700$ for it :)

http://www.tactlab.com/Products/RCS22XP/index.html

Yes, I read up a little on the unit, and it does seem to do time domain correction better than DEQX claims to do -- from what my limited brain can grasp. Great stuff :cornut:

Feanor
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM

I can't help but think that your system implies a totally different -- and to my mind -- a far superior way of about real-world sound reproduction than what you get from the SET OTL, high-efficiency single-driver speaker, digital-hating, vinyl-loving niche of audiophilia.

Wrap you mind around this, RGA. :ciappa:

Florian
07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
HAHA :-)

Of course it is. How is a 2 way monitor gonna trick me into believing its live. LOL

But a 7.7ft tall fullrange, full frequency dipole planar with limitless dynamics that can throw a stage that fills over 1600ft2 room......Now THAT can trick me.

And its all phase coherent, time coherent, corrected frequency responce plus minus 0.5Hz, automatically corrected for volume etc...

Not to mention the board computers which adjust the input voltage of the amps, the digital crossover etc.. ;-)

:5:

http://www.apogeeclub.de/grand.jpg

Feanor
07-27-2006, 12:45 PM
HAHA :-)

Of course it is. How is a 2 way monitor gonna trick me into believing its live. LOL

But a 7.7ft tall fullrange, full frequency dipole planar with limitless dynamics that can throw a stage that fills over 500ft2 room......Now THAT can trick me.

And its all phase coherent, time coherent, corrected frequency responce plus minus 0.5Hz, automatically corrected for volume etc...

Not to mention the board computers which adjust the input voltage of the amps, the digital crossover etc.. ;-)

Right now it's for the elevated likes of your system, but it will gradually trickle down. The main obsticle might not be technology or cost, but rather the conservative, not to say Ludite, attitudes of backward looking audiophile "purists".

Florian
07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Right now it's for the elevated likes of your system, but it will gradually trickle down. The main obsticle might not be technology or cost, but rather the conservative, not to say Ludite, attitudes of backward looking audiophile "purists".

Well ya know, you simply have to move air. With one driver panel, or same panels with no limits in dynamics and no box. Thats the key for live music in my opinion and only large scale systems will do that. Everything else might sound nice, but it can never be real.

But then again, not the majority of people can spend 85000$ on a spealer, let alone the room :-)

-Flo

audio_dude
07-27-2006, 05:21 PM
i HAVE to stop reading these threads...it makes my stereo look like its from a dumpster!

Resident Loser
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
i HAVE to stop reading these threads...it makes my stereo look like its from a dumpster!

...don't encourage him...

No matter how he prattles on, flashing his fistful of Euros, it will never be real as he terms it...his software is only an approximation of reality and as we all know GIGO...

jimHJJ(...talk about tedious...)

Florian
07-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Why even bother with you looser :-)

Enjoy your system!

gonefishin
08-03-2006, 07:19 AM
congrats on the new addition Flo!

glad to hear your having a good time with your system :D

dan :)

Florian
08-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks Dan,

i am in a huge transitional period currently. The system is massive, which is a huge logistical problem and i might need a crane to get the speakers into my new Apartment. The Electronics are bloddy expensive not to mention room acoustics. So i am planning 3 month at least to get it all up and running.

-Flo

superpanavision70mm
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
I guess my only thought is this....is it important and necessary to spend thousands and thousands on a superior design, layout, etc only to play inferior formats like CD and to some degree vinyl. The equipment cannot suprass the limitations of the format no matter what....

What we need more of is not the incredibly equipment, but better formats to play.

Florian
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I guess my only thought is this....is it important and necessary to spend thousands and thousands on a superior design, layout, etc only to play inferior formats like CD and to some degree vinyl. The equipment cannot suprass the limitations of the format no matter what....

What we need more of is not the incredibly equipment, but better formats to play.

I will be blunt as usual. "People have no clue whats in the CD and Vinyl until they hear the format on a super system". So the answere to the question if it is necessary is , yes.

-Flo

audio amateur
08-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I will be blunt as usual. "People have no clue whats in the CD and Vinyl until they hear the format on a super system". So the answere to the question if it is necessary is , yes.

-Flo

what question?

Florian
08-03-2006, 11:22 AM
what question?

.is it important and necessary to spend thousands and thousands on a superior design, layout, etc only to play inferior formats like CD

audio amateur
08-03-2006, 11:27 AM
:p alright

superpanavision70mm
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Actually there is a breaking point at which the better equipment reaches a threshold and you can hear more limitations with the formats. You should not be able to "magically" hear stuff that is not on the recording.

Florian
08-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Actually there is a breaking point at which the better equipment reaches a threshold and you can hear more limitations with the formats. You should not be able to "magically" hear stuff that is not on the recording.

Well, this can only be experienced on a super system. I can tell you that on system of Apogee Grand, Wilson Wamm, Alon Grand Exotica or Genesis 1.1 caliper, on these system come very very close to real reproduction and once experieced can show people how much more is in the format. Noone will ever reach the end of the format below in the HIFI realm of things. These limits that people quote, are set and measured how? The limitations that people speak off are in my opinion 95% the speaker and reproduction equipment used in their home.

E-Stat
08-04-2006, 07:37 AM
i am in a huge transitional period currently. The system is massive, which is a huge logistical problem and i might need a crane to get the speakers into my new Apartment. The Electronics are bloddy expensive not to mention room acoustics. So i am planning 3 month at least to get it all up and running.
Congrats on the new stuff. I understand your plight as I recently moved as well. A week later and there are still boxes to uncrate. Main system installed but not all the room treatments are in place. Initial Cardas recommended setup position for bipolars sounds good, but will need optimization. New room dimensions are better overall. Wider, yet a bit shorter with some non-parallel surfaces. Moving 500 lbs of speakers upstairs was no fun!

Good luck.

rw

E-Stat
08-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Actually there is a breaking point at which the better equipment reaches a threshold and you can hear more limitations with the formats.
I have not as yet heard that breaking point myself. My point of reference is an absolutely stunning reference system used by a prominent audio reviewer.

You should not be able to "magically" hear stuff that is not on the recording.
Agreed. On the other hand, you may be surprised how much information is actually on many a recording.

rw