just need an IR emitter....i think? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : just need an IR emitter....i think?

Tarheel_
07-25-2006, 07:57 AM
I recently moved my HK AVR behind a curtain and now my remote only works when i hold my breath...cross my fingers and whistle....

you get the point. The AVR has an 'IR in' - 'IR out' and 'remote IR out'....i went to Rat Shack twice and both times they ordered the wrong part...

Can someone post a link for what i need??? Also, do i just plug into my 'IR In' 3.5mm slot and position the other end where it is not shielded by curtain?

just for kicks...what's the remaining IR slots for?

THanks!!!

elapsed
07-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Another option would be to purchase a Universal Remote such as the Logitech Harmony 890. This model includes a wireless A/V bridge receiver which converts RF signals to IR commands, for control without a direct line of sight.

Tarheel_
07-25-2006, 10:13 AM
yeah, thought about that but i like my HK remote and the piece (IR) i'm searching for is around $10....i think (hope).

Woochifer
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure, but I think that different companies might use their own proprietary approaches to their external IR connections. Have you checked with Harman to see what part they sell for your model? Otherwise, there are other external IR repeaters that home theater installers use for extending the range of IR remotes. This would entail installing a sensor and relaying that signal to an IR repeater that you just tape over the sensor on your receiver.

AVMASTER
07-27-2006, 08:32 AM
sounds like the reciever would act as the repeater, so you would need a sensor with a 3.5 mini plug and emmitters with the same connection. The sensor can be placed in the open, the emmiters will be attached in front of the IR sensor of each device you want to control. Check out Niles Audio, Speakercraft, Russound, or Xantech

nightflier
07-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Just FYI: Harman does use a proprietary protocol so just plugging the third-party device into the 3.5mm jack won't work. Unless you buy HK's infrared repeater (I think it cost $55 last time I checked), you willl need to position (or tape) a receptor in front of your IR input on the front of your receiver.

Tarheel_
08-03-2006, 08:01 AM
thanks Nightflier,
the Hk unit is $60 bucks plus i'd still have 2 remotes.

So, i purchased a Harmony 520 remote for $99 at Walmart. Nice unit, it can be programmed via website. Still smoothing out the issues, but wife sure loves it.