hypothetical question? Tyler linbrook 2 vs 7u vs linbrook monitor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical question? Tyler linbrook 2 vs 7u vs linbrook monitor

funnyhat
07-24-2006, 07:46 AM
I was wondering if someone had time to answer a hypothetical question regarding Tyler floorstanding speakers. I have decided when I am able to upgrade from my paradigm studio 20's, I would like a speaker with a deeper response, so I am looking at floorstanders, and have really enjoyed all my experiences with Tylers. The linbrook 2's or 7u's are definitely the most speaker that my room could handle, might even be too much, but on the chance that I might have a bigger room, I am wondering if I should consider the linbrook monitors, and upgrade with the modules if that is ever spatially and finanicially possible. The question in this longwinded post is how the standmounted monitors compare with bass to the two floorstanders. If anyone has experience with these three and could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks for all tips!

drseid
07-24-2006, 01:10 PM
The 7Us and Linbrook Signature Monitors have almost identical bass... I might give a *very* slight edge to the 7Us if I were pushed. The speakers are extremely similar to be honest. The 7Us might be the better value, as you don't have to pay for the stands, and get pretty much the same sound quality. The Linbrooks are *very* large monitors, BTW. The pictures are quite deceptive. The 7Us are taller (as they are floorstanders), but the Linbrooks are very deep rear ported monitors making up the difference that direction. The internal volume is about the same if you can believe it. If you want the exact Linbrook sound, but want the floorstander format, Ty will swap the Scanspeak Revelator tweeter in the 7Us for the SEAS Millenium tweeter in the Linbrooks at no charge (and he will tweak the crossover accordingly). I like the Scanspeak, but they are both superb tweeters.

One advantage of the Linbrooks is you can add the bass modules later on if you change to a larger room, and now you have *my* speakers... This bass module addition really takes the Linbrooks to a new level.

All of that said, the Linbrook System II is an excellent speaker that on its own is better than the 7Us and Linbrook Signature Monitor. It provides 90% of the sound quality of my original Linbrook System speakers for signficantly less cost. The main difference between the System II and the original System ("I" if you will) is my original Linbrook System speakers get lower, have a better midrange presentation and better driver integration (especially in the lower and upper mid-bass) -- they also play louder. Even with these "deficiencies", the System II is a powerhouse value, IMO and is a superb overall speaker. Its midrange may also be a hair behind both the Signature Monitor and the 7Us (as they use 2 7 inchers for this task versus the 1 used in the System II), but the II gets much lower than both of them, and the overall presentation is more complete, IMO.

Bottom line is all three are good choices depending on your objectives. The Linbrook Monitors are the best choice if you want future expansion ability (as I did), the 7Us are probably the best value of the three, and the System IIs are the best overall performance IMO.

---Dave

funnyhat
07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
thanks for the tips, it clears up alot. With the 10 percent difference you estimate between the linbrook 1s and 2s, how much of that is due to level of electronics and room size? With my budget, I see myself putting most into the speakers, so I am wondering how that would affect the equation. Also, I listen mainly to classical music, would that change how much of a difference I would hear between the 1s and 2s? Thanks again for all the advice.

drseid
07-25-2006, 10:08 AM
thanks for the tips, it clears up alot. With the 10 percent difference you estimate between the linbrook 1s and 2s, how much of that is due to level of electronics and room size? With my budget, I see myself putting most into the speakers, so I am wondering how that would affect the equation. Also, I listen mainly to classical music, would that change how much of a difference I would hear between the 1s and 2s? Thanks again for all the advice.

While the IIs may be easier to power than the Is (as they are 8 ohm versus 4 ohm speakers), the electronics needed for both are about the same. They use the same kinds of drivers and similar crossovers. Room size does not really play a role in the 10 percent difference (although the Is like a larger room due to their size and depth). Certainly high quality electronics are required with all Tyler speakers, as they are very revealing of electronics fronting them. That said, high quality does not necessarily equate to "high priced." Jolida makes fine budget integrated amps that work well with Tylers IMO (for example). As for Classical, that is my music of choice as well (although I also listen to a lot of female vocals like Allison Kraus too), so I would say the 10 percent I used was with that music choice as a reference.

---Dave

funnyhat
08-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Following up to this post: Would a Jolida 1301 have enough power to adequately drive any of these 3 speakers? Thanks for all help.

drseid
08-03-2006, 04:46 PM
In theory it could, but I would recommend a bit more juice. 50 watts+ would be better. A 1501 would be a better fit, IMO.

---Dave

funnyhat
08-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks for all the tips, sorry for all the questions. Are Jolida's bridgeable? I am wondering if it would be possible to use one for small speakers, and then a pair for a larger pair. Thanks again for any ideas.

drseid
08-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Sorry, no info on that one... Never tried it.

---Dave