Ever come across a band and think how come I've never heard of them before [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ever come across a band and think how come I've never heard of them before

Mike
07-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Don't think I've heard of them before but I've just discovered The Frames, two albums in particular For The Birds (produced by Rave Recs fave Steve Albini) and Burn The Maps. An Irish band apparently the second biggest after U2 but virtually unknown outside ireland.

Both are excellent albums, pretty dark moody stuff in, they start off pretty slow but build on a rhythm a bit like Pinback in places. They've been likened to The Clash (don't think so myself) and The Pixies, anyway worth checking out..

You got any established artists who have passed you by?

Cheers
Mike

Davey
07-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Don't think I've heard of them before but I've just discovered The Frames, two albums in particular For The Birds (produced by Rave Recs fave Steve Albini) and Burn The Maps. An Irish band apparently the second biggest after U2 but virtually unknown outside ireland.
Shoulda payed more attention to that last Current Rotation Sampler :idea:

Yeah, lots of em passed me by. A ton of my listening time this year has been discovering all those Red Red Meat CDs and odds and ends. Never heard anything about them until discovering Califone. Best thing in years.

Mike
07-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Shoulda payed more attention to that last Current Rotation Sampler

Is that right were they on there...damm. I've been pretty good in the past at gleaming stuff from them, maybe it was a duff track. I'll have to investigate tonight.

Don't suppose we'll be doing anymore of those comps, shame really it was good while it lasted.

Cheers
Mike

3-LockBox
07-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh hells yeah...I've come into a ton of music on this site that had passed me by earlier in my life; some of which I love dearly.

NP: Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio: La Princesse Perdue by Camel

Stone
07-24-2006, 09:04 AM

Both are excellent albums, pretty dark moody stuff in, they start off pretty slow but build on a rhythm a bit like Pinback in places. They've been likened to The Clash (don't think so myself) and The Pixies, anyway worth checking out..

I have both albums, and I like both of them, but neither keeps me coming back for more on a consistent basis. Maybe I need to spend more time with them than I already have.

You got any established artists who have passed you by?

One that comes to mind for me that I missed during her heyday, and pretty much during her life is Kirsty MacColl. I had a couple songs off various compilations and her performance on "Fairytale of New York," but hadn't heard much by her until the last couple of years when I started reading more about her. So much of the stuff she did (I'm still working on acquiring all of her albums) was great, but lately I've especially enjoyed the stuff she did with the Stiff imprint on it. It's just great pop music, and I love her voice. She really knew how to put feeling into a song, even if it was a straight ahead pop number. She was quite a talent (not surprisingly I guess, considering her lineage) and it's really too bad she isn't around any more.