Car speakers need good advice / feedback [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Car speakers need good advice / feedback

dk_allan
07-24-2006, 05:19 AM
Hi all

A newbe to this forum I'm hoping to get some help and advice regarding carspeaker choice.

I have the Pioneer DEH-MP77 (the one with Burr Browm D/A) headunit and do not need external amplifier.

I have just ordered the Pioneer Premium TS906 speakers as rear-speaker solution.

Now I need some good front speakers to go with the rest of my setup.

Not locked my choice to pioneer - but advice in which series to look at in Pioneer is also very welcome (i can not find 6,5 + tweeter solution in Pioneer Premium).

To put words on my likings regarding speakers

Linear response (clean soundstage?!?)
Dynamic sound to match the Burr Brown D/A

yet fatigue-free (ie not to crisp and dramatic)

(I have the Kef 104.2 as front speakers in my main stereo setup - something like these but with more bassy lowlevels due to road-noise compensation)

In advance very much thanks :)

Allan from Denmark

BTW: My pioneer setup replaced a 4 yr old sonically ugly Sony Xplod setup (XS-6940 etc)..

audio_dude
07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
you should check out the carREVIEW site related to this one, they have a car audio section

http://www.carreview.com

dk_allan
07-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks!! Will do ;)

KaiWinters
07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
http://acaraudio.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=17&osCsid=7739b058d973f01dae5638b948a83af4

I suggest and recommend the MB Quart line.
Wonderful sound.
To my ears they are awesome.

Mr Peabody
07-24-2006, 07:45 PM
I agree that MBQ is a good sounding speaker. However, you should stick with something more efficient. I don't care who makes the head unit there is only so much room for a power supply and you need current to drive a speaker that's not efficient. Look for something over 91dB SPL. If your head unit won't drive the speaker properly you won't get good bass nor your money's worth out of them. The Infinity Reference series used to be pretty good or Alpine. You may find them both to have extended highs though. I'm not sure which car speaker would be "warm". I think Polk also makes a more efficient line as well.

To give you an example I had the top of the line Sony ES head unit which supposedly had the highest current internal amp on the market at the time. It drove the crap out of a pair of Sound Stream component speakers at 93db but when I switched out to Infinity Kappa's at (I think 88db) the result wasn't so good. I was looking for better bass out of them over the SS. I stuck a 50x2 Precision Power amp under those Kappa's and they rocked.

KaiWinters
07-25-2006, 09:44 AM
While my car sports a seperate amp which drives my MBQ's quite nicely my wife's car has a basic Alpine and powers her 5 1/2" MBQ's very well. They have a very full sound and the bass is well rounded while the upper frequencies are not muddied or overly bright.

I have a nice Alpine, forget the model as it is around 5 years old now, unit with a matching amp that powers basic 6 1/2" MBQ and a 10" MBQ sub. The rears are stock and are powered by the radio's amp.

I wish I could afford their reference line. I have heard them and they are absolutely amazing to my ears. But alas I am a humble "blue collar" guy with the budget to match.

Good luck on your search and purchases. Keep us informed.

BillyB
08-09-2006, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=dk_allan]Hi all

A newbe to this forum I'm hoping to get some help and advice regarding carspeaker choice.

I have the Pioneer DEH-MP77 (the one with Burr Browm D/A) headunit and do not need external amplifier.

I have just ordered the Pioneer Premium TS906 speakers as rear-speaker solution.

Now I need some good front speakers to go with the rest of my setup.

Not locked my choice to pioneer - but advice in which series to look at in Pioneer is also very welcome (i can not find 6,5 + tweeter solution in Pioneer Premium).

To put words on my likings regarding speakers

Linear response (clean soundstage?!?)
Dynamic sound to match the Burr Brown D/A

yet fatigue-free (ie not to crisp and dramatic)

(I have the Kef 104.2 as front speakers in my main stereo setup - something like these but with more bassy lowlevels due to road-noise compensation)

In advance very much thanks :)

Allan from Denmark

BTW: My pioneer setup replaced a 4 yr old sonically ugly Sony Xplod setup (XS-6940 etc)..[/QUOTE)

I have the Boston Acoustic SL60 component speakers in my Ford Truck and have found them to be outstanding connected to Alpine head and and separate Amp.They take a beating and the S1 soft dome tweeters are exceptional with great separation and imaging without being too bright.They're not that user friendly to install as there is a separate external crossover for both the woofer and tweeter for each channel.That being said there one of the only $300 car speakers I've owned that I can play quite loud without my ears or the speakers eventually complaining as in my work van the acoustics are horrendous and you really have to crank the volume to enjoy the sound and these speakers can handle it.I never thought much of Boston Acoustics prior to owning these and they have out-performed some very reputable car speakers I have previously owned.The tweeter uses a neodynium magnet and the 6"(might be 6.5) woofer is a nicely made driver.I purchased them about a year ago for about $300.Good luck with your decision.