video up conversion on yamaha rx-v2500 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : video up conversion on yamaha rx-v2500

asrto1
07-23-2006, 11:15 PM
hi guys, i have an rx-v2500. I have a playstation 3 on pre order and when i get it i am looking at hooking it up to the reciever via the composite video cable that comes stock with the console. From there i'm going to run an svid cord from the amp to the tv. I was just wondering will the 2500 convert the video from composite to s-video picture quality, or will it be the same crapy composite vid signal just running through the s video cable?

musicman1999
07-24-2006, 01:30 AM
I believe the 2500 will change everything to component output.but what you put in is what you get out.You will want your ps3 hooked directly to your television for best picture.

bill

edtyct
07-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Just to confirm musicman's reply, the transcoding that receivers do from a lesser format to a better one is a convenience feature only; if a feed doesn't originate as, say, a component signal, no amount of transcoding (or upconversion) from composite or S-video will change it into one. Transcoding just simplifies cable runs. The upconversion w/video processing that receivers are beginnng to include cannot upgrade an originating format to a superior one either, but it can interpolate pixels to fill a particular screen just like a TV or upconverting DVD player does. Performance will vary.