Massive confusion in America [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Massive confusion in America

Florian
07-23-2006, 03:16 AM
After having received some PM's and E-Mails from Inquiring minds about my rare purchase of the Apogee Grand speakers i think its time i laid out the full story of how i got them and how i am going to move and where i am going to place this exotic speaker system.

It all started about half a year ago when i first heard that a pair of Apogee Grand speakers where for sale. I have found this out by a good friend in another country, because the seller does not speak any english or german. The asking price was "X" which is considerably more then what i had but not undoable. My mind was set on this Grand speaker but i was still missing 9K even if i sold my entire system. This was quite a drag! I could not afford to buy and and have since then worked and sold equipment to get more money for profit. About 4 month later i found a buyer for the DIVA in England. So my suprise he was one of the few, who know what this kind of speaker represents and its qualities. This gave me a big enough financial boost in order to buy the Grand.

So i called up my contact in country "x" and told him that i am ready to buy. My contact called the seller and i was back in the race. He said that he had to think about it some more and that he will call us back. Waiting for 2 days, and never receiving a call i got very nervous. We called again only to find out that he supposely has another interested buyer. This came as a real shock, because people who are interested in Grands usually have a lot more financial buying power then me. He was offered a sum "X" plus some Avalon Eidolon speakers. But this was clearly a try to push the price because noone buys a Avalon Eidolon Diamond and gives up a super speaker.

Good enough for me i had to play some poker. We told him that we will not go above our pentioned "X" price. This would either give me the Grand or loose it by a small amount of money "X". I had to wait for a blistering 2 days long. I started to disregard the Apogee Grand because the sale of the Avalon plus the cash he gets would be above my offer. So i started looking at other speakers which incl. Wilson X2, Martin Logan Summit (just horrible) and the Dali Megaline. The Megaline out of them all was the only one with unlimited dynamics, 2 way and very little box.

The main problem was that i had sold the DIVA's with the strict plan in my head to buy the Grand, but this was now at stake. I didnt really want the Megaline, it was more a choice of having a good speaker to replace the DIVA even if it was a less of it but a bit different. We waited another day and still got no reply from the seller, and at that point i bought the Dali Megaline. I have very glad but also sad, because when i listen to the DIVA it is vastly more detailed, fast and better integration.

The next day, right after i just spend "X" money on the Dali the Grand seller calls us and tells us that we have a deal for sum "X". I was verry happy and pissed at the same time because i just bought that Dali but want to ditch it. So i hesitated for 30 minutes and then gave my buddy a call to proceed with the deal. I called the Dali Megaline guy and litteraly got butt-****ed for canceling him. But id rather be shouted at then not owning a Grand ;-) The next day i sent the money and will pick them up in September.

The Problem is that the speaker is too large for any room. It is designed for 52x32ft rooms and will be able to delive full frequency power with no limits! The problem is that this is larger then most german houses, even if you rip out all the walls!

So, a audio friend and myself will rent a house in the next 2 month, if we find one and start a exclusive audio shop. It will most likely contain a restoring station for Apogees, Eggleston Works speakers, Vacuumstate Electronics and our Grand Demo room.

I will show news as soon as they arive!

Thanks for all the wishes and greetings!

-Florian

bobsticks
07-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Well, that's a great deal Flo, and thanks for the clarification. Congrats also on the potential new business opportunity. Surely this is where your heart lies and I can't imagine that you haven't already made some good contacts within the European audio community. Is there anywhere to go from here, system-wise?

Cheers,
M

Florian
07-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Your welcome. Yes, i have many friends in the Audio Community in Europe now and many friends all over the world. To your system question: This the end. The Apogee Grand is the best speaker in the world. There is nothing else to buy now, speaker wise. I believe the Lyngdorf Audio's are at the very top of the game too. Now its justing buying music.

.-Flo

JohnMichael
07-23-2006, 08:37 AM
I am glad everything has worked out so far. I know you have been sweating this for a long time. I am glad you will be starting your own audio shop. The best job advice I have ever heard is find something you love doing and learn how to make money doing it. Sounds like you are on your way.

ForeverAutumn
07-24-2006, 07:28 AM
The best job advice I have ever heard is find something you love doing and learn how to make money doing it. Sounds like you are on your way.

I once gave that advice to a good friend of mine after she lost her job and was considering a career change. She thought about it for a few seconds and then said to me, "you want me to become a prostitute?". :lol: True story, I swear.

That was an interesting story. Although, personally, I just can't imaging spending that kind of dough on a speaker that I can't even set up to listen to. But that's just me. Good luck on your new venture Flo!

basite
08-06-2006, 10:01 AM
you are a very lucky guy, a very very very very very very lucky guy, i hope, once that i will have alot of money. first finish school

JoeE SP9
08-06-2006, 12:10 PM
My heartiest congratulations Flo!!!!! Just don't forget us mere mortals who remember when you had Magneplanars. Seriously, I'm very happy for you. Please have my room ready when I visit.:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :cornut:

audio amateur
08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
you mean your room....

jt1stcav
08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
All the best in the world, Flo. Good luck with the audio shop, and enjoy your Grands!

Florian
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

Hey Joe, you know i will keep the beers cold for ya and the amps HOT :)

audio amateur
08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey I never got no beer!!!!!!!!!:( Well, no, I guess I did when I think about it...:p

JoeE SP9
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I can be sure of one thing. I won't have to drink any watery overly cold American beer! The best law that was ever drafted is the German Purity Law of 1516. Maybe if we had something like that here American beers would all be as good as Sam Adams.:ihih: