Local boy does good! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Local boy does good!

Swish
07-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Yessiree, Floyd Landis, from Lancaster County, PA, just a hop, skip and a jump down the road from me, has won the Tour de France! I could not believe he came back from more than 8 minutes down in one of the greatest performances in the history of cycling, and most importantly, he keeps the crown in the US. I just watched the final 20 minutes or so of the time trial, the final stage before the ceremonial finish tomorrow, and it was awesome. SWEET! What a great start to my Saturday. Racquetball was a blast this morning, heading to the driving range in a bit, then out to dinner tonight. Oh yeah, I'll try to listen to some toonage today. Perhaps J's "T Rex" comp. Very nice indeed.

Swish

Jim Clark
07-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Almost enough to inspire me to dust the cobwebs off a set of racing wheels that are lying around the basement storage room. Almost.

Pretty remarkable turn of events especially after the spectacular pop on stage 16. I have to admit that at that point I was a non-believer. Very happy to be proven wrong. I follow the tour like many follow the world cup, it's a great break from the duldrums of the better known sports we see and play every day. Who knows, I may take the Allez down off the rack after all.

jc

Swish
07-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Almost enough to inspire me to dust the cobwebs off a set of racing wheels that are lying around the basement storage room. Almost.

Pretty remarkable turn of events especially after the spectacular pop on stage 16. I have to admit that at that point I was a non-believer. Very happy to be proven wrong. I follow the tour like many follow the world cup, it's a great break from the duldrums of the better known sports we see and play every day. Who knows, I may take the Allez down off the rack after all.

jc

..a Speedster S30 if you know anything about them. I was going to start riding to get myself in riding shape, then join a regular group of riders from the local YMCA where I play racquetball. But then the rains came and didn't want to quit, and when it got nice, I was traveling, then took some vacation, and now that we're back, it's nice again, but so hot that I don't know if it's a good idea to ride! Ha! I'll probably put it off until the fall, but I will be riding.

There was a nice story in the local paper about Floyd and the bike shop owner who was his first sponsor. Floyd grew up Mennonite in a tiny town with nothing much to do. He bought bikes from this guy and they became friends for life. He told about how Floyd entered a race at the age of 15, his first race of any kind, started in the back, and passed everyone to win it. The shop owner told him he had to get serious and start racing, offering the sponsorship. He's likely celebrating big time today, along with the rest of his friends in Lancaster.

Swish

superpanavision70mm
07-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Swish,

Where are you ? I am near the Pittsburgh Airport.

Swish
07-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Swish,

Where are you ? I am near the Pittsburgh Airport.

I'm very close to Hershey/Harrisburg/Lancaster. We call the area South Central PA.

Swish