Budget concious hdtv models... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Budget concious hdtv models...

IRG
07-21-2006, 08:12 AM
A big if, but I may replace my still respectable Sony 27" non hdtv soon to something slightly larger (30-37") hdtv capable. My choices are somewhat limited as the stores around here consist of Best Buy and Sears. Of these two, I prefer BB. Plus I have a BB card and a 12% coupon to use over the next couple of days.

How is this model? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7694818&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03002&id=1138083961491

I just read in the video discussion that Toshiba is not actually making crt models, and that their quality is not so good. Does that mean this is a bad model? Price sure is good, but I don't know anything about this model, and am searching for reviews.

This model looks good too http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7716769&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03002&id=1138087675171 but it says it is sold out. Something replacing it? I guess I will have to go to BB and check it out.

This TV by the way is going into an armoire that I am currently constructing, so a 32" set is maximum. Other brands or models I should look for? I like the LCD displays, but I want to spend under $1k if possible. Thanks.

edtyct
07-21-2006, 09:33 AM
In its favor, the poor little HD CRT has enough history behind it to keep it relatively honest, regardless of who supplies the parts (theoretically, anyway), even though it garners precious little R&D these days. In your case, the size of the CRT under consideration also helps to mitigate flaws in its picture. You just can't see poor video processing very well when a TV is small. If fact, from a normal viewing distance, a small HDTV may have little visual advantage over a well-made SDTV (though it would have practical drawbacks). However, color fidelity and geometry problems can still be annoying on the smaller sets. The extent of someone's satisfaction with a particular HD TV is partly a function of how much exposure s/he's had to HDTV displays that perform well, and a big-box store isn't necessarily a good place to raise consciousness.

On paper, the Samsung is a better bet than the Toshiba, though truth in advertising isn't its strong suit (how can a TV with 720 vertical scan lines have the full HD pixel complement of 1920x1080?). It evidently accepts more resolution formats and seems to have more fit and finish for its $200 difference.

The last great, relatively small CRTs were Sony's expensive XBRs. I'd rather have one of those used (from a reputable seller) than something inexpensive that's available now. It's hard to describe the visual differences beyond the buzz words of black level, smoothness, and depth, but they are present to the eye.

If you like flat-panel LCDs, shopping around might get you a 26" model for around $1000. Even though a comparably priced CRT might do certain things better than an LCD, an inexpensive CRT bought just to reach the 30" size might suffer in its general characteristics. LCDs have been around for a long time, too, and if you can put up with some of their quirks (motion blur, oversaturated color, and poor black in a dark room), they can be rewarding (sharp, bright, slim, portable, etc.).

Just remember that saving a few hundred bucks now could mean having to spend more later, for any number of reasons.

IRG
07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the response. I think your advice is if I read between the lines is to wait and buy something I really want. Point taken. And that is probably what I will do. I don't mind what I have now, but a little bigger, a little better would ne nice. More of a want than a need. I need to spend some time acutally looking at the products in the store (even if this not ideal for viewing) to see if there is something I like. I don't know much about LCD displays. Are they good to view at an angle like crt, or do they need to be viewed head on like rear projectors? What is their shelf life? Do these 30" crt models need hdmi conncetions vs component? I can't seem to keep up with all of the changes in video technology. Yikes, I sound like my parents.:(

edtyct
07-21-2006, 10:52 AM
If budget is the major factor, then waiting for a little more money might not be a bad idea. LCDs aren't particularly strong in the viewing-angle department, though they are better than they once were. None of the microdisplays with lamps located at the center rear are as good in this regard as CRTs and plasmas. But you should test a few out for yourself.

HDMI became standard issue mostly for the benefits of digital copy-protection, but on some displays in certain situations, it can offer a little better performance than component. On a small display, this is a moot point, but HDMI still has value since the new hi def DVD formats, as well HD over broadcast, will be relying on it to provide the highest resolutions. I'd certainly make HDMI (or DVI at a minimum) a priority for any purchase from this point forward, even though the specs haven't quite evolved to a stable place yet. The coming HDMI 1.3, however, will offer the new hi def audio formats, wider color gamuts, higher resolution, and control functions that would normally belong to hardware. It also will adjust any lip-sync errors.

IRG
07-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I can't keep my HDMIs straight, but I think that makes sense to me. I should wait. It makes sense to wait. But I hate to wait. But I also want to buy another guitar (my other more time and money consuming hobby), so it is a toss up. My wife wants me to get a vasectomy. We have 3 kids- that's enough (maybe more than enough, lol) so I think she might be right. But I told her I needa "reward" of some sort for doing this. Of course she thinks the reward is not having kiddo #4, which is true, but I have to milk this for all I can, so I told her a new hdtv set or a new guitar. At least with the TV, we all benefit! Anyone else negotiated over something like a vasectomy?

edtyct
07-22-2006, 05:25 AM
This has the makings of a good brain teaser: What do a vasectomy, HDTV, and a guitar have in common? Seriously, waiting is a drag, and I've never been a proponent of it, unless money prevents a would-be owner from getting what s/he really wants or from getting something that works correctly. The reward angle seems a little farfetched; the reward for a vasectomy is usually sex (and maybe, to stretch the logic to the breaking point, no more kids, but a ban on sex can usually see to that). And although vasectomy works rather well as contraception, it doesn't normally increase a bank account. Nor does buying anything with HDMI. Anyway, we should probably get back to home theater.

paul_pci
07-22-2006, 08:47 AM
This has the makings of a good brain teaser: What do a vasectomy, HDTV, and a guitar have in common? Seriously, waiting is a drag, and I've never been a proponent of it, unless money prevents a would-be owner from getting what s/he really wants or from getting something that works correctly. The reward angle seems a little farfetched; the reward for a vasectomy is usually sex (and maybe, to stretch the logic to the breaking point, no more kids, but a ban on sex can usually see to that). And although vasectomy works rather well as contraception, it doesn't normally increase a bank account. Nor does buying anything with HDMI. Anyway, we should probably get back to home theater.

But that is home theater! His home theater. I'm just sitting back with a bucket of popcorn.

EdwardGein
07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Tajke it from me by experience, you do not want to get a 30" HDTV. It's too small as its actual picture size is near a normal 26" set (There is a web site that converts widescreen sizes for comparison- Kexo knows it, I forgot it). I have a 34" Panasonic 34WX-15 in my bedroom & the size is perfect for it (Also have 48" Mitsuibishi HD TV in living room). I wouldn't go with anything less then 34" though maybe 32" might be OK for you. Getting rid of my 30" HDTV was the best thing I ever did- picture though good was way too small. If you have a Best Buy then surely their is a Circuit City around. They have some good deals. Also you are going to need to get 2 good sets of component cable (one for your DVD player) & another for your HD Connection (the ones the cable company supplies are crap).

IRG
07-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Thanks Ed,
I was thinking too, that 30" would be too small, not much if any improvement over my current 27" Sony. I watch a lot more cable than dvds, not sure if that makes a difference. I could go 32", possibly even 37" if it fits in the armoire. I think the opening is abou 40-42". This is for the main living room which is not designed to be a HT. In reality is serves as a little of everything. I just don't want the TV (and now speakers) to be the focal point of the room, hence the armoire. However, I would like a TV as big as possible as long as it stays in the armoire. Thanks for the advice!