wall mounting a speaker with a rear port... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : wall mounting a speaker with a rear port...

IRG
07-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Is this a bad idea? In my quest to find small bookshelf size speakers, I need to wall mount these. But finding a speaker that meets all of my criteria has been challenging. When I find something I like, there is usually an issue. So I have been looking at the Polk Monitor 30, which are a decent size and weight for wall mounting, but they are rear ported. Will that be an issue? I looked at the Infinity Primus 150 which is dirt cheap, but I think they are too large in size and weight. I also found a pair of NHT - an older model for sale at Onecall the smallest bookshelf, SB1for $79 each in white which would actually be very cool for my application, but they only have 2 left. I would like 3 and use one for center as well. I could also go for the new(er) NHT Absolute Zero Mini that are on sale at J&R Music for $129 each. Then I could get 3 across, which I like, and they are small enough to wall mount I think too, and are not rear ported. I haven't read any reviews of these speakers though. Anyone know anything about them? Are those Polk R30 pretty decent for HT? Reviews seem mostly positive.

kexodusc
07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
If you cross them over at 80 Hz or higher, there really shouldn't be much of an issue...except at extreme volumes or if the port is only 1" in diameter or something.
Even then, you'd likely drown out any unwanted port noise...just make sure the port can breathe and isn't completely covered or obstructed.

If they run full range, the port becomes more important, and you'll get different results - not impossible to pull off, but obviously more difficult - are you using a sub?

I thought the Monitor 30's were made for on-wall mounting?

IRG
07-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks Kexo, I was hoping someone would reply (is this forum nearly dead or just slow lately?). Yes, I am using a sub, and right now crossing it over at 80hz. I really need to get a new sub (it seems like a need a new everything) but for now it works. I have my NAD crossing over at 80hz, and I've tried 60 to, a little too soft, and at 100hz which seems to add too much bass.

I am glad to hear I could wall mount a speaker like this one with having a port in the back. The vast majority of time, I really don't turn it up that loud (small children). The sad reality is, I could have Bose speakers, or the crappiest thing in BB, and I probably wouldn't be able to discern much difference in sound quality because 1) room layout sucks, 2) I don't play at very lound volumes 3) most of the time the source is my TW cable box, and cable quality sound is nothing to write home about.

So while I want a decent speaker here, price and aethetics probably are more important for this particular purchase. Life is a compromise with a young family! Nevertheless I might as well purchase the best product I can. The Polk 30 are in the running then, as are some PSB Alpha line, NHT and a couple of others.

I've been looking at how to mount these speakers to walls. Any preference in whether I screw directly into the speaker or use a clamping system? I've looked at partsexpress.com for speaker mounts. Other places?

Also with these Polk speakers, I don't have a local dealer, and it seems that most places have the same price, $199 a pair. Can these be bought individually anywhere if I were to use one for a center speaker? Thoughts on which online retailer to use? I've heard good things about Crutchfield, but have never used them. Thanks, irg

Grandpaw
07-21-2006, 12:58 PM
I read your post and don't know if these are for in the rear with a rear center or are they for the front. I don't know about all the speakers but if you want them to use in the front remember your center channel needs to be shielded or it will mess up your picture, Jeff

audio_dude
07-21-2006, 02:15 PM
ya, shielding is important too, maybe some sort of rear ported or even a sealed speaker!

we have Celestion and B&W sealed speakers at my house, smooth sound, nice bass, all around good

IRG
07-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes, these will be for the front. Mounted on the wall. Not sure if the center speaker will be mounted too, or placed in the armoire above the TV. And yes, shielding is a consideration. My Paradigms are not shielded, but I keep them at least 12" away, and that has worked fine. B&W and Celestion are certainly fine speakers. I might consider the bottom of the wrung B&W, I think it is the DM303, not sure that is the right model number. I have not been using rear speakers at all - I just have so little room. The rears if I get them would be almost parallel to your head (the sofa is against the wall-no other choice). Someday I may add them, but I have some work to do in terms of how and where I would mount them. Older homes present these issues sometimes.

JoeE SP9
07-22-2006, 05:20 AM
Even if you are using the front speakers above 80Hz or so It seems like a bad idea to mount rear ported spaekers on the wall. If I had to mount speakers on the wall I would look for front ported speakers. There are plenty of them out there to choose from. Your other option is sealed (acoustic suspension). I have a buddy who has a pair of NHT super Zero's (sealed) with a Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer and the system is not bad. :cool:

IRG
07-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks Joe,
So what about the Orb Audio speakers? Reviews I see have been positive. Aesthetically they would work great for my room (I could use all 5 speakers then) and they would probably suffice for both HT and music. Anyone have pros and cons about these speakers? Are they a fad? I also like that they are made in the USA. I don't if they publish theirspecs or not. I don't want another Bose cube, but if these work pretty well, I might be sold. I can always set up a good 2 channel system in my basement work room.

audio_dude
07-22-2006, 09:22 AM
oo...i read a review of those, great little system, listen to it...maybe its the answer to all your problems :)

JoeE SP9
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Joe,
So what about the Orb Audio speakers? Reviews I see have been positive. Aesthetically they would work great for my room (I could use all 5 speakers then) and they would probably suffice for both HT and music. Anyone have pros and cons about these speakers? Are they a fad? I also like that they are made in the USA. I don't if they publish theirspecs or not. I don't want another Bose cube, but if these work pretty well, I might be sold. I can always set up a good 2 channel system in my basement work room.
I can't comment on what I haven't heard. I wouldn't buy anything without listening to them first. That's why I can comment favorably on the NHT Super Zero's with a subwoofer. Without a subwoofer they have no bass at all.:cool:

IRG
07-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Generally I like to listen first too, but even then, it is somewhat limiting because in my world, any component/system won't sound the same until it is in my listening room. I auditioned my Paradigms against other speakers in the same store, they all sounded, some difference of course, but it was toughto tell which would sound better in my room.

At least with the Orbs, I can return them for free if I don't like them. That is a good policy, and no much to lose I guess. I would like to hear from others on this site if they own the Orbs, and their thoughts on them.