Great act, crappy venue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Great act, crappy venue

ForeverAutumn
07-21-2006, 05:25 AM
I just found out that Ray LaMontagne is coming to town. This excited me and I was all ready to buy tickets. Then I noticed the venue. One of the worst venues in town for a summer show. An old, old, theatre with no air conditioning and a very poor circulation system.

The last summer show that I saw at this theatre was Porcupine Tree and Opeth a couple of years ago. The theatre was unbearably hot. PT put on an amazing show, but I was so distracted by how uncomfortable I was, that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

I've decided to pass on this show, which is really unfortunate, because I'm sure that it will be great show. But I just can't see myself enjoying Ray's performance in this theatre in the middle of August.

nobody
07-21-2006, 09:45 AM
To be honest, if they really are a great act, I think they can overcome the venue. I've seen bands in some pretty crappy places, too crowded, horrible acoustics, standing room only, shoulder-to-shoulder with a bunch of smelly drunks, etc... And, if the band is really on, it can overcome it. When the band's not up to snuff, I start obsessing about all the external things.

Then again, I'm sure a lot has to do with personal preference. I've actually liked bands better in a grimey little place over seeing them in a posh venue in many cases.

Also, music style probably plays a part. If its someone you just wanna sit back and enjoy, maybe a slick venue with a great soundsystem is just the thing, where if its a rockin' move yourself kinda thing, a dirty bar works just fine.

Gotta admit though, seeing Lyle Lovett next week at a free outdoor concert is really sounding like a bit of a bother if the tempatures don't drop and the storms don't stop.