what speakers for a 20x12 room? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what speakers for a 20x12 room?

madmax1
02-01-2004, 08:00 AM
What size mains speakers should i use in my system? Could i get away with bookshelf, or do i need floorstanders? either way my budget for speakers will be around $400 to $500 thanks.

bturk667
02-01-2004, 09:55 AM
well how about doing some home demo's? Seems like the logical way to find out, no?

madmax1
02-01-2004, 11:03 AM
well how about doing some home demo's? Seems like the logical way to find out, no?
What are home demo's ? ive been away from home audio since 1991 so its been awile?

TinHere
02-01-2004, 11:52 AM
What are home demo's ? ive been away from home audio since 1991 so its been awile?

They can be done several ways.

1. A dealer lets you take them home and listen to them.

2. Internet direct companies send you speakers for 30 day home trial. In most cases you pay shipping both ways if they go back. In most cases people keep the speakers if they have researched enough to get a feel for what they like and the sonic signature of the speakers. Due diligence will reward you with excellent value since middleman profits are eliminated.

3. Some people through AudioEnvy.com will allow people into their homes to hear speakers that are from internet direct companies.

The best way to determine if speakers are keepers is listen to them in your room with your equiptment.

Happy hunting.

Mr Peabody
02-01-2004, 07:51 PM
You didn't mention what other equipment you are using. These will be mains, do you have the other speakers already? Filling your room with sound will depend more on the efficiency of your speaker or power of your amp section then type or size of speaker. If you have 100 watts or less of receiver quality watts I would suggest a speaker with a SPL rating of 90dB or better. This may not be as critical when paired with a sub. Most of all you have to like what you hear so do some listening first to see what you like. Another variable you left out is what type of music you listen to and your listening habits.

madmax1
02-01-2004, 08:31 PM
You didn't mention what other equipment you are using. These will be mains, do you have the other speakers already? Filling your room with sound will depend more on the efficiency of your speaker or power of your amp section then type or size of speaker. If you have 100 watts or less of receiver quality watts I would suggest a speaker with a SPL rating of 90dB or better. This may not be as critical when paired with a sub. Most of all you have to like what you hear so do some listening first to see what you like. Another variable you left out is what type of music you listen to and your listening habits.
i gonna have a yamaha 1400 receiver, and i listen to rock and R&B
yes i have the rears. no sub yet, but thinking about getting a svs sub?

RGA
02-01-2004, 09:33 PM
20 by 12 is not that big. My speakers more than fill my room to loud fairly hard hitting levels and is roughly 28 X 14. Unfortunately they're significantly more money.

BUT the B&W 602S3 is around your budget and should easily fill your room to a good volume level. Trouble with standmounts is they need an investment in stands. And they're reasonably important because crappy ones are like buying a floorstander made with crappy wood. There are other good speakers in this price range but this is one of my favorites so give em a go and see what you think.

manek
02-05-2004, 12:27 AM
JPW or HeyBrook would do the trick for you.

madmax1
02-05-2004, 06:06 PM
JPW or HeyBrook would do the trick for you.
Sorry dont know what those are? Please tell me.

manek
02-05-2004, 09:42 PM
JPW and Heybrook are british speaker manufacturers. They make speakers with a very pleasant sound and not too imposing on the ears. I tend to lean towards Heybrook. They are not expensive as both these companies make value for money products. Both of them are definately more sophisticated than the Wharfedale diamond or some speakers like that.

Another british company which makes very good value for money speakers is Morduant-Short. Same proposition as the above.

Canadian speaker manufacturers are not to be outdone when it comes to value for money products. PSB is another manufacturer which I like. Their 4T floorstander is pretty good and affordable.

All of the above manufacturers have their websites. I would recommend you check them out for dealers in your region.

Manek.