New Poll: Greatest "Superman" of all time!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Poll: Greatest "Superman" of all time!!!

Worf101
07-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Hey, we've got a new one... and considering the tragedies that've happened to most of the guys that've donned the cape I wonder what grisly fate awaits this guy. Who do you thing was the great Supes of All Time???

JohnMichael
07-20-2006, 07:33 AM
I grew up watching Superman on tv and all the reruns. Whenever I think of Superman it is always George I think of first.

Resident Loser
07-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Hey, we've got a new one... and considering the tragedies that've happened to most of the guys that've donned the cape I wonder what grisly fate awaits this guy. Who do you thing was the great Supes of All Time???

...of the Winky-Dink and You, Captain Kangaroo, Bozo the Clown era...by sheer exposure, I'd hafta' say George Reeves is Superman in my book...add to it the cheezy flying effects, and you can't help like the total naivete' of it all...sorta' like the Buster Crabbe "Flash Gordon" serial...

Although the Superman/Action Comics were a big part of my childhood too...used to frequent the used book store that sold the dime ones for a nickle and the 25 cent special issues for 10 cents...and Superboy and Batman and the Justice League Of America and MAD and Famous Monsters...

jimHJJ(...all that and the whole summer off...)

GMichael
07-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Tough call. I'm leaning towards George. Like the others, I think of him first when the name Superman is brought up. But I did like Dean. He has charm. Tom Welling is doing a good job with Smallville as well. I do think that he counts and at least belongs as a choice.
I will do more thinking and vote later.

Kam
07-20-2006, 08:03 AM
i'm skewed a lil younger to the chris reeves generation of superman so... he's the man of steel in my book. :)
just watched the first one again on hbo the other night and he's really just great in that role.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-20-2006, 08:37 AM
i'm skewed a lil younger to the chris reeves generation of superman so... he's the man of steel in my book. :)
just watched the first one again on hbo the other night and he's really just great in that role.

I am with you Kam, I never saw George do Supernan, Chris was the only one I ever saw with the exception of Dean Cain who will never be the "real" superman in my book

kexodusc
07-20-2006, 09:22 AM
I liked Dean Cain's modern, realistic Clark Kent, but I didn't like the cocky, carefree superman attitude. Don't know if that was him or the writing, so Reeves gets my vote.

Woochifer
07-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I grew up with the George Reeves series, but when Christopher Reeve hit the big screen, that was the definitive Superman IMO. GR didn't play Clark Kent any differently than he did Superman, whereas CR had a more obvious contrast between the "mild mannered" Kent and the heroic Superman. Aside from the obvious glasses schtick, George Reeves' Clark Kent was no secret identity.

Brandon Routh was okay in Superman Returns (after seeing the initial publicity shots, I was actually bracing myself for the worst). He didn't embarass himself, but didn't make us forget about the previous portrayals of the Man of Steel either.

I think another intriguing poll might be who's the best Lois Lane. Personally, I don't think that anyone has yet done the definitive Lois. If you see how Lois is portrayed in the comics, I don't think anyone has yet matched that. So, an alternate poll might be who SHOULD HAVE played Lois Lane. RGA last week brought up Ashley Judd as a more ideal Lois Lane, and I think that's a great start.

Worf101
07-21-2006, 08:40 AM
I too came home from school to watch George Reeves run faster than a speeding bullet, and bend steel in his bare hands. He was/is Superman to me, even more so for an appearence he did outside his show. Reeves appeared in an episode of "I Love Lucy" where he came to "little Ricky's" birthday party. Lucy of course didn't know he was coming and dressed up in a most ridiculous costume in an effort to give the kid his wish. Of course it all went horribly wrong and there's Lucy stuck on a ledge with a busted drainpipe raining water down on her. I know it was all staged but the nonchelant way he "saved" Lucy from certain death has stuck with me forever. He'll always be my "Man of Steel".

Da Worfster

GMichael
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I too came home from school to watch George Reeves run faster than a speeding bullet, and bend steel in his bare hands. He was/is Superman to me, even more so for an appearence he did outside his show. Reeves appeared in an episode of "I Love Lucy" where he came to "little Ricky's" birthday party. Lucy of course didn't know he was coming and dressed up in a most ridiculous costume in an effort to give the kid his wish. Of course it all went horribly wrong and there's Lucy stuck on a ledge with a busted drainpipe raining water down on her. I know it was all staged but the nonchelant way he "saved" Lucy from certain death has stuck with me forever. He'll always be my "Man of Steel".

Da Worfster

Oh no. I remember this episode.:yikes:

Kam
07-21-2006, 11:53 AM
i really cant compare as i've only seen clips and such of george playing supes, but what really got me with christopher reeves was the depth of his performance. those subtle moments when no one is watching him and you see the superman side of his expression while the "clark mask" is on, and the human side of him while he is superman, particularly the glances at lois while she's staring at awe at the ground, the pure enjoyment he gets out of saving someone, especially lois, with that whole "you've got me... who's got you!??" scene and saving the kids in the bus during the earth quake, and even his politeness comes across as completely genuine down to talking to the police officers after aprehending criminals.

that's what was missing from both cain and routh's performance in the same role, imo, and i dont know if it was there with george's.

on the lois lane note, i would say jessica alba, but.... then again, had you said who would i cast as ("insert character name here") my response would be... jessica alba. :) just don't tell eva i said that! they can get jealous!

GMichael
07-21-2006, 12:01 PM
i really cant compare as i've only seen clips and such of george playing supes, but what really got me with christopher reeves was the depth of his performance. those subtle moments when no one is watching him and you see the superman side of his expression while the "clark mask" is on, and the human side of him while he is superman, particularly the glances at lois while she's staring at awe at the ground, the pure enjoyment he gets out of saving someone, especially lois, with that whole "you've got me... who's got you!??" scene and saving the kids in the bus during the earth quake, and even his politeness comes across as completely genuine down to talking to the police officers after aprehending criminals.

that's what was missing from both cain and routh's performance in the same role, imo, and i dont know if it was there with george's.

on the lois lane note, i would say jessica alba, but.... then again, had you said who would i cast as ("insert character name here") my response would be... jessica alba. :) just don't tell eva i said that! they can get jealous!

Sorry to jump out of superman mode for a second Worf.

You like'm short huh Kam? Jessica would be my answer for most questions as well. Side note: Scfi has been re-airing Dark Angel on Monday nights. Wifey (who is dark and 4' 7") has fallen in love with this show. We now have something to watch together. :ihih:

We now return this thread to it's super superman status. No need to adjust your sets.

kelsci
07-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Worfster; My father worked on E 10th. St. in Greenwich Village. He told me that he passed George Reeves walking down the street one day.

You left out Kirk Alyn who was Superman in the Columbia Pictures serials.

kelsci
07-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Oh and Bud Collyer of Beat the Clock fame who was the voice of Clark Kent/Superman in the Fleisher cartoon series.

Worf101
07-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Worfster; My father worked on E 10th. St. in Greenwich Village. He told me that he passed George Reeves walking down the street one day.

You left out Kirk Alyn who was Superman in the Columbia Pictures serials.

I couldn't for the life of me remember or find who played Supes in the Serieals. I know somone did. And I loved the technocoler Flieschers VERY much. Man you did a good turn by me.

Thanks...

Da Worfster