Do I have a ground problem? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a ground problem?

the hand of boredom
02-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Hey guys,

Might you be able to help with with an irritant?

We have our laptop hooked up to our system. When we play files through the WinAmp, there is a nasty buzz coming through the speakers. This only occurs through the inputs in which the computer is connected. It doesn't happen with any other sources. ONLY with the computer. It occurs also when the computer is off.

Our only idea is that it may the the cable. Could it possibly be an ungrounded or improperly grounded outlet?

Thanks for the help.

THOB

mtrycraft
02-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Hey guys,

We have our laptop hooked up to our system. When we play files through the WinAmp, there is a nasty buzz coming through the speakers. This only occurs through the inputs in which the computer is connected. It doesn't happen with any other sources. ONLY with the computer. It occurs also when the computer is off.

Our only idea is that it may the the cable. Could it possibly be an ungrounded or improperly grounded outlet?

Thanks for the help.

THOB

That is what it sounds like, a ground problem. You need to troubleshoot by isolating. Unplug one item at a time.

Worf101
02-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Good to see you friend... long time, no time. I hope you're doing well and that the only problem you have is this pesky humming problem. Do check your ground connections on your components, you can also check the cableing you're using on that laptop, may be shoddy or insufficeintly sheilded.

Da Worfster

the hand of boredom
02-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I was able to seclude the new printer/fax machine we installed which was connected to the same power bar as the laptop. Unplugged it and the buzz went away. We had to scratch our heads to figure out where we were going make the new connections, but it all worked out in the end.

Thank you very much for your help.

Worf: you da one with the parametric EQ for your sub? Or is that Woochie? I think I really need to get one. Got a real nasty trough somewhere between 40 and 60 cycles, combined with a boom near 90 hz. Doesn't make for the most articulate bass.

How things hanging witchu? Had the first complaint two weeks ago. Some of the boys came over for the primers before hitting the bars for sl*t patrol. Had the tunes cranked and even turned the gain on the Servo15s up a wee bit. Around 10pm the neighbours come-a-knockin'..."Hey guys, do you mind? Our kid is sleeping and we've had a long day."

Gimme a Break, bizzatch. It's Saturday night for crying out loud.

Keep it real, Worfman.

PAYCE!

THOB

the hand of boredom
02-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.

THOB

A new problem has arisen. That annoying hum is back. Here's the deal.

I have a marantz receiver to which the laptop is connected. The buzz only comes with the laptop, no matter which input I use. The buzz does not come with the DVD, CD, or SAT sources. The buzz gets louder when the volume is turned up (this I didn't mention before). And it gets louder when a combination of lights in the room are turned off or on.

I have tried everyting as far as troubleshooting. All other components have been disconnected and the buzz still comes now.

We connected the laptop to a Sony receiver in place of the Marantz and the buzz went away. So it should be the Marantz receiver that is responsible for the buzz, right? But how, then, when we connect the CD to any input on the Marantz unit there is no buzz. Likewise with all other sources on the Marantz unit?

Please help. I'm at my wit's end.

THOB

mtrycraft
02-28-2004, 09:35 PM
A new problem has arisen. That annoying hum is back. Here's the deal.

I have a marantz receiver to which the laptop is connected. The buzz only comes with the laptop, no matter which input I use. The buzz does not come with the DVD, CD, or SAT sources. The buzz gets louder when the volume is turned up (this I didn't mention before). And it gets louder when a combination of lights in the room are turned off or on.

I have tried everyting as far as troubleshooting. All other components have been disconnected and the buzz still comes now.

We connected the laptop to a Sony receiver in place of the Marantz and the buzz went away. So it should be the Marantz receiver that is responsible for the buzz, right? But how, then, when we connect the CD to any input on the Marantz unit there is no buzz. Likewise with all other sources on the Marantz unit?

Please help. I'm at my wit's end.

THOB

More troubleshooting in order and experimenting :)

Since it is a laptop, try to hook it up with the battery operating, no external power. Or, first, try turning the AC plug 180 degree.

Since it is not causing a buzz with another unit, this may be a difficult one :(

the hand of boredom
02-29-2004, 08:30 PM
More troubleshooting in order and experimenting :)

Since it is a laptop, try to hook it up with the battery operating, no external power. Or, first, try turning the AC plug 180 degree.

Since it is not causing a buzz with another unit, this may be a difficult one :(

Mtry,

Thanks for replying. I think it has been solved. It appears that the S-video cable connecting the digital cable box to the TV was loose. Couldn't tell you why this would cause the buzzing.

THOB

mtrycraft
02-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Mtry,

Thanks for replying. I think it has been solved. It appears that the S-video cable connecting the digital cable box to the TV was loose. Couldn't tell you why this would cause the buzzing.

THOB

Great. That makes perfect sense too. A loose cable, will cause such a buz. Good job :)

the hand of boredom
03-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Great. That makes perfect sense too. A loose cable, will cause such a buz. Good job :)

You are a loose cable. Actually, you are a loose, OFC, double-helixed, twin shielded, advanced proprietary $100 cable with gold plated after-after-market connectors.

I rule.

THOB