Speaker Advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Advice

QuixoticWoLF
07-19-2006, 12:03 AM
So I'm looking to get a number of new speakers, on somewhat of a budget. The only speakers I have right now are a pair of JBL LXE990s that have served me rather well that I plan to incorporate into my new systems, and some Infinity Sterling surrounds and center that rather dissapointed me and are up for replacement. I'm planning on getting a Pioneer VSX 816 and am looking for the speakers necessary to complete a 5.1 surround system on my TV either with my existing JBLs or with a new voicematched system, and either my old JBLs as stereo on my computer or a new pair of fairly high quality bookshelves.

So what would people recommend? Bit of a confusing situation, but basically I'm looking for either a 5.1 system that fits in my budget with outstanding support for stereo music, or something to put with my JBLs as surround and a pair of good stereo bookshelves. So far I've looked at Athena, Events, PSB, Advent, Infinity Primus, and some JBLs and I'm feeling very lost.

What brands would provide the best quality for cost ratio for my budget and could provide voicematched systems with main channel speakers that would give me really good definition for music?

superpanavision70mm
07-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Which PSBs were you looking at? What is your price range?

likeitloud
07-19-2006, 03:23 AM
First of all, Welcome to AR. If your really attached to those JBL's and like them as
main speakers, keep'em, and add these; JBL Performance Series PT800 for
surrounds and a PC600 center. That will hook you up for under a grand. Without a
$ amount for your budget, I would check closely POLK AUDIO RTi4 5.1 surround
system for $1400. Of course everythings matched, and it sounded great(Powered
by a VSX59TXi). Your receiver will match up well. There a LOTS of surround
packages out there , You all ready know the top notch companies, visit some
dealers, set your budget, bring your favorite cd, and have fun.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
Pioneer GR-777 Graphic Equalizer
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands
XBOX 360

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

audio_dude
07-21-2006, 02:11 PM
PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM PIONEER!!!!

sorry for the caps, but pioneer receivers are utter CRAP, look for something from Denon or Yamaha, better quality (build and sound!)

personally, i hate JBL stuff...but oh well, thats just me

likeitloud
07-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Yea, your opinion will change his mind, get the ____ outta here!:dita:

Pioneer VSX1015TX
JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
Pioneer GR-777 Graphic Equalizer
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands
XBOX 360

QuixoticWoLF
07-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Sadly, my budget is rather limited, I'm looking to spend at most 1000 on this system and some small setup for my computer. So far I've bought that VSX-816 I was looking at, and a pair of JBL S36s, I'm hoping to find some S38s on ebay to use as mains, or perhaps some towers from the Northridge series, hoping they will match pretty well. Any suggestions on a center channel speaker or subwoofer? I'd like to spend no more than about 400 on both of them, these are to go with the S36s and I'm going to use the LXE990s I have on my computer.

superpanavision70mm
07-22-2006, 03:06 PM
What is your budget on the speakers alone?