Surround with analog cable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surround with analog cable

ppitts
07-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I bought a home theater system a couple of years ago- everything worked perfect until I down graded to analog cable. So now the cable comes in from the wall into TV. DVD and CD still have surround sound- but not TV.

Television has S-Video - Video In and Rigth/Left Audio

Home Theatre has - everything...It is a samsung HT-DB600.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Pam

paul_pci
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Need a little more info. Do you have a cable box? If not, can you get one? Do you have an a/v receiver? Ideally what you would do is run the audio out from a cable box to your receivver's audio in (analog) and then use the dolby prologic dsp to turn the two channels into surround sound. However, absent a cable box, I do believe that Radio Shack sells a gadget whereby you can go coax in from to wall to the device and run analog out to your receiver. However, you'd still need to run the video to the tv.

ppitts
07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
No I don't have cable box- but I have heard of the Radio shack gadet you are referring to - I think I will try that and see what happens...

elapsed
07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I bought a home theater system a couple of years ago- everything worked perfect until I down graded to analog cable. So now the cable comes in from the wall into TV. DVD and CD still have surround sound- but not TV.

Most TV's don't have the ability to pass DD5.1, which is why you have no surround sound from your TV to your Samsung Home Theatre. Paul's solution should do the trick, though it may degrade video quality. Good luck!

N. Abstentia
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Best way to fix this...and many other issues...is to yank the cable out of the wall and get DirecTV.

markw
07-19-2006, 02:33 AM

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

PamThe best surround sound you'll get with that red/white analog audio feed is DPLII. It won't support DD or DTS. They require a digital signal, which analog cable doesn't support.