a very musical weekend so far... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a very musical weekend so far...

nobody
07-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Got some things in my mailbox last night and have been playing a few of them so far...digging some more Electric President and the latest Gary Numan is quite good. The new Paul Simon is interesting with the Eno backing tracks, but I'm kinda so-so on it overall...never really been a fan of Mr. Simon. Got some more things to go through, which I will soon and will enojoy...

Also got a chance to stop by for a couple purchases of my own...

<b>The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers</b>
This one just keeps growing on me the more I hear it...its playing in the background right now. I still prefer Jack with the White Stripes, but I could see how the indie rock types out there may prefer this. You still get the guitar work, but it’s more in the mix here, with a nice straightforward pop rock vibe. Nice vinyl packaging and pressing as well for those of you into vinyl...they even toss in a little poster.

<b>Sarena-Maneesh</b>
Rock group from Norway that I'm really digging. They kinds sound like a heavier version of My Bloody Valentine. Something to really crank up when you can. Sheets of sound...all those usual catch phrases apply. Good stuff, and another nice vinyl package on 2 LPs this time.

<b>Eagles of Death Metal: Death By Sexy</b>
Picked this up after hearing the opening track on the vintage vinyl website...a nice little video of them playing it at an in-store is worth checking out. Dug the tune, saw it for 9.99 and grabbed it. Very good, although I still think the lead track is probably the best thing on it. No Death Metal here, just garagey rock with a lot of rough edges...pretty straightforward stuff that just rocks. No vinyl on this that I saw...guy workin' there said he's been looking too and deciding whether to wait for it or not...supposed to be coming I guess.

Well...gotta run...back to listening.

Wireworm5
07-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I used to be a Gary Numan fan but not so much anymore. My favorite album is Living Ornaments '80. I have some of his newer stuff which has more of a techno style to it. He definitly is a very creative artist and has certainly influenced electronis music. But his music has what I call a death sound to it mainly due to his voice and that is why I'm not so keen on it anymore.
My friend seen them 'live' when he was on the Ornament tour years ago and he said it was one of the best light shows he's ever seen. That was just before my exposure to Gary Numan and only wish I had seen the show as well.

Jim Clark
07-16-2006, 07:46 AM
I used to be a Gary Numan fan but not so much anymore. My favorite album is Living Ornaments '80. I have some of his newer stuff which has more of a techno style to it. He definitly is a very creative artist and has certainly influenced electronis music. But his music has what I call a death sound to it mainly due to his voice and that is why I'm not so keen on it anymore.
My friend seen them 'live' when he was on the Ornament tour years ago and he said it was one of the best light shows he's ever seen. That was just before my exposure to Gary Numan and only wish I had seen the show as well.

Just curious, but what do you have of his newer material that you would consider techno? Pretty much everything he's done since 1998 is pretty industrial by my standards but due to his prolific nature I didn't grab every single and wandering release. I lost interest with Warriors and didn't climb back on board until Exile but I could probably dig around the boxes of vinyl and find a copy of Strange Charm and Dance if I had to. I'd have to be compensated for the effort though since these are dreadful on every front.

You are right with the "death sound" comment. His music is pitch black and unrelentingly gothic. That's about as close to head banging as I get anymore. New one is just OK in my book and while very similar, not as good as Pure and Exile.

jc

Wireworm5
07-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Just curious, but what do you have of his newer material that you would consider techno? Pretty much everything he's done since 1998 is pretty industrial by my standards but due to his prolific nature I didn't grab every single and wandering release. I lost interest with Warriors and didn't climb back on board until Exile but I could probably dig around the boxes of vinyl and find a copy of Strange Charm and Dance if I had to. I'd have to be compensated for the effort though since these are dreadful on every front.

You are right with the "death sound" comment. His music is pitch black and unrelentingly gothic. That's about as close to head banging as I get anymore. New one is just OK in my book and while very similar, not as good as Pure and Exile.

jc

The albums I have are, The Pleasure Principle, Replicas, Dance, Living Ornaments '79. Of the newer stuff, The Best of and 2 cd compilations of stuff from other unknown albums. The remixed songs that I'm familiar with,I used more of a techno style (its not techno), to discribe the change in his style from his earlier work, which by comparison is more ambient. I wasn't aware that this music is now called 'Goth' or 'industrial'. Aside from the heavier bass beat, his more recent stuff that I've heard, hasn't changed much from his early days.