Lisa Germano rides a hundred highways to #1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lisa Germano rides a hundred highways to #1

Davey
07-14-2006, 05:41 PM
What a goofy topic line, eh? Anyone anxious to hear the new Lisa Germano release on Michael Gira's (Swans) Young God Records? Sounds like a perfect match to me. I'm looking forward to it. Supposed to be out in the next week or so, depending on who you believe. But if you go to amazon, they are special price packaging it with the latest unlikely chart buster from the man in black. The Man in Black? Pretty slow week in the world of pop music when the ghost of Johnny Cash returns from the grave to capture the top Billboard slot. Thumbs up. In the maybe world, Lisa rides on some amazon provided coattails. And in the maybe world, those monkeys are still flying.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000FI9ON6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52982561_.jpg

http://www.younggodrecords.com/product.asp?P_ID=44

Jim Clark
07-16-2006, 09:11 AM
I can't stand seeing your orphan post languish for another day. Never really got into Germano so I can stand the wait a few more days : )

Haven't really heard too much about Johnny Cash's post mortum release either but personally for me it would be hard to top American IV due mainly Hurt of course. That was truely inspired.

Hope summer is going well for you Davey. BTW, what happened to Half Gone? Did it completely pass me by while I was sweating my butt off at the ball park?

jc

Davey
07-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I can't stand seeing your orphan post languish for another day.
Ah, you're so nice, but I think most of us left here that still occasionally post have gotten used to the lack of response by now :)

BTW, what happened to Half Gone? Did it completely pass me by while I was sweating my butt off at the ball park?
I did one in 2004, but hasn't been any official Half Gone release since then. Think I did a virtual one last year maybe? I don't have that much new stuff but I did put together a couple little ones to leave at the bus stop that I labeled as Half Gone 2006 since it's all stuff I bought this year, it's just not all 2006 release stuff. Heavy on the avant Americana trail - collects songs from some of these ...

Califone - Everybody's Mother Volume 1
Sanford Arms - Too Loud for the Snowman
Orso - My Dreams Are Back and They Are Better Than Ever
Low - Trust
Black Tape for a Blue Girl - Remnants of a Deeper Purity
David Kilgour - David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights
Lift To Experience - Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads
Nina Nastasia - Dogs
Shack - On The Corner Of Miles And Gil
Black Heart Procession - The Spell
Eleventh Dream Day - Zeroes and Ones
Willard Grant Conspiracy - Let It Roll
The Walkabouts - Ended Up a Stranger
Red Red Meat - Jimmywine Majestic
The Deadstring Brothers - Starving Winter Report
Red Red Meat - There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight
Built To Spill - You In Reverse
The Appleseed Cast - Peregrine
Freakwater - Thinking of You
Howe Gelb - 'Sno Angel Like You
Red Red Meat - Bunny Gets Paid
Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3 - ...tick...tick...tick
Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow

noddin0ff
07-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the new release.

Dusty Chalk
07-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Looks like they "fixed it" -- it is now paired with another Lisa Germano album, and Johnny Cash's album is paired with "Gospel"...unless I didn't understand your post.

And I got ticked off at Amazon when I realized that their special price packaging wasn't any cheaper than buying the two together. It's like when the special is just something from the menu at the same price.

Oh woe is jaded me...

Davey
07-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Looks like they "fixed it" -- it is now paired with another Lisa Germano album, and Johnny Cash's album is paired with "Gospel"...unless I didn't understand your post.
Yeah, think the pairing is just based on what others have bought together recently so it changes all the time. Just made for a fun topic line in my distorted view :)

Dusty Chalk
07-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Works for me -- I always enjoy your distorted views...erm, I mean...your perspective on things.

And yeah, thanks for letting me know she has a new album out.

Davey
07-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Works for me -- I always enjoy your distorted views...erm, I mean...your perspective on things.
Yea, seems most people don't get distorted enough for my taste. Maybe that's why they don't get the Velvet Underground, eh? Or Lisa Germano for that matter. Doesn't seem like the new one has been getting very good press, at least according to the perspective collectors at metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/germanolisa/inthemaybeworld). But ya never know. Wonder how well Geek the Girl would fare in today's music world?

So, I've been meaning to ask, what does that silly bunny mean anyway?

Dusty Chalk
07-22-2006, 06:51 PM
So, I've been meaning to ask, what does that silly bunny mean anyway?Oh, it's just a meme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme).