Movie - Book [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Movie - Book

s dog
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
When a movie is made from a book like Harry Potter do you guys think it is better to read the books first or see the movies first, i had seen movies 1-2-3-4 before i got the books, well i just finished the fourth book and im not sure if i want to start on book five or wait for the movie next year, i dont want to ruin the movie by reading the book first, but maybe it wont make any differents which way i go , just wandered what everyone thinks about this.BTW the harry potter movies are some of my all time favorites.

noddin0ff
07-13-2006, 06:38 AM
Use your mind. Read the book!

A book gives many, many hours of enjoyment. A movie, ~2hours. I'd rather not spoil the many hours of good reading by seeing the movie first.

kexodusc
07-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Depends - I try to read really good/popular books and usually do long before the reach theater, but time is precious I'm finding - less time than ever as I get older so now it's not happening. Didn't read Da Vinci Code, but saw the movie and absolutely loved it. I could punch all the wannabes who told me the book was better - duh? If you told me it wasn't I'd question your intellectual capacity - imagination doesn't have a budget or constraints - movies do.

Saved some money, some time, and still came out happy.

Though I'm probably an avid reader of both fiction and non-fiction compared to many, books are overrated - I'd rather listen to a musician than read their sheet music - good movies can invoke similar sentiments from me.

Still, there's something to be said about getting the story from its original format. For some reason, some authors stories, messages, etc, work better in book form - Stephen King movies are good example. His short stories make better films than his lengthier novels. (The Stand, being an exception). And some of his adapted works ("IT" especially) were just terrible on TV or in the movies...But not "The Running Man"....Jesse "The Guvnah" Venturah, Arnold Governator - classic!!!! How many other movies starred 2 governors?

I don't care what anyone says - Peter Jackson did a damn good job of doing the impossible and making Lord of the Rings at least as good on film as it was on paper.
Reading all those triple vowels and tongue-twister constanant execution was hard on my brain.

s dog
07-13-2006, 07:38 AM
I think i will just go ahead and read the book first,heck the darn movie does not come out for a whole year and the book is hear now, might as well go ahead and read it, and yes it is getting harder and harder to find free time to read books or watch movies.