axiomaudio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : axiomaudio

lilbill08
07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80ti_main.html

How would you rate these speakers? Are they a mid-range speaker? Or pretty high up there? What processing equipment would you buy for a nice sound? (music). Would you buy used, older equipment? I might want to get into audio, but I am not sure if that set is a good starter.

Florian
07-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Always depends on the class. Whats high for some is low for others. What price range are you looking for, how large is your listening room and do you want to stay strictly 2 channel etc..?

Cheers

Flo

PlumDragon
07-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Reminds me of some of the Polk Audio speakers...The 3 sets of "twin" speakers seem a little crazy to me considering alot of speakers in the 5-figure price range dont have anything like that and would blow these things away.

I dont know anything about the company or the speaker but I just spent more than twice that on a pair of louspeakers and mine are *maybe* just barely starting to edge into the "high-end" category IMO. Like was said above, its all about perspective; but when you look at $12k Prodigy's, $15k References, and a list of speakers running up to $75k each...it kind of puts things into "perspective" for you! =)

Geoffcin
07-13-2006, 05:27 AM
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80ti_main.html

How would you rate these speakers? Are they a mid-range speaker? Or pretty high up there? What processing equipment would you buy for a nice sound? (music). Would you buy used, older equipment? I might want to get into audio, but I am not sure if that set is a good starter.

And they are a quality speaker. I would have no problem recommending them. However, I suggest you do some listening to other speakers in that price range.

Another thing you should be awar of is that these are 4 ohm speakers, and should be driven by an amp/receiver that can handle them.

kexodusc
07-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Reminds me of some of the Polk Audio speakers...The 3 sets of "twin" speakers seem a little crazy to me considering alot of speakers in the 5-figure price range dont have anything like that and would blow these things away.

I dont know anything about the company or the speaker but I just spent more than twice that on a pair of louspeakers and mine are *maybe* just barely starting to edge into the "high-end" category IMO. Like was said above, its all about perspective; but when you look at $12k Prodigy's, $15k References, and a list of speakers running up to $75k each...it kind of puts things into "perspective" for you! =)

Axiom uses the multiple drivers for a reason - those aluminum woofers are cheap - but they're damn good sounding for the money and have incredible distortion figures at lower volumes - approaching high-end Seas and Scan-speak drivers costing 3, 4, even 6 times as much. They just reach their limitations when pushed a bit louder - so you use 2 of them, save the money, get the same soundquality (or darn close) and probably more bass and better transient response from the increased swept volume and decrease in excursion demand.

John Krutke of DIY fame recently tested a non proprietary version of those drivers (darn similar, maybe better) and his favourable results boosted Parts Express sales so much they ran out of stock of their 7" woofers. I've just started building a small nearfield monitor with those woofers and a North Creek tweeter - they'll top my M3Ti's for sure.

Axiom puts more thought than many into their product line - I'm surprised they aren't more popular than they are. Buying the right speaker for your room size and volume needs is critical.

Haven't heard the 80's but I've heard a few others, and I'm sure they're worth every penny. Hi-end they're not, but mid-fi sound at an entry level-ish price is fair to say.

Geoffcin
07-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Axiom uses the multiple drivers for a reason - those aluminum woofers are cheap - but they're damn good sounding for the money and have incredible distortion figures at lower volumes - approaching high-end Seas and Scan-speak drivers costing 3, 4, even 6 times as much. They just reach their limitations when pushed a bit louder - so you use 2 of them, save the money, get the same soundquality (or darn close) and probably more bass and better transient response from the increased swept volume and decrease in excursion demand.

Haven't heard the 80's but I've heard a few others, and I'm sure they're worth every penny.

I've put both the M22ti's & the M80's through their paces and have some info;

The smaller M22ti's were amazing performers at resonable levels. As good as they are, the M80's were better at most everthing I rate for with the exception of imaging, where I would rate them in a dead heat. The M80's edge in performance really showed during more "energetic" listening sessions, especially in the treble. How can this be when they use the same drivers? It has to be the fact that the M80's use TWO tweeters. Looks like more is better, especially when it comes to lowering distortion.

Hi-end is a bottomless pit in audio. There is simply no end to what you can spend. At this price point Axiom has a contender, especially when taken in the context of HT.