Help - Harman Kardon AVR 320 volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help - Harman Kardon AVR 320 volume

Boxbot
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi everyone. Hoping you can help out a new poster.

I've had my receiver for a little over two years (just out of warranty) and have really enjoyed it.

Recently, the volume will go from -30db where I normally keep it - as loud as it goes all by itself. If I try to turn the volume back down, the reciever will "fight me" and keep trying to put the volume all the way up. Same result whether I use the remote or turn it down by hand.

Turning the unit off and back on doesn't seem to fix it, but after a minute or two everything is back to normal. It does this a few times a week.

Any thoughts?

frenchmon
07-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Try looking at your remote...could be stuck on volume.

frenchmon

kexodusc
07-13-2006, 07:22 AM
yeah, take the batteries out of the remote for awhile and see if it happens again...just to be sure - I have 3 or 4 remotes that will work my receiver - one got under the cushion and my ass must have just been manipulating the volume at the right amount - took me a few days to figure out what the cause was.

poneal
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Hi everyone. Hoping you can help out a new poster.

I've had my receiver for a little over two years (just out of warranty) and have really enjoyed it.

Recently, the volume will go from -30db where I normally keep it - as loud as it goes all by itself. If I try to turn the volume back down, the reciever will "fight me" and keep trying to put the volume all the way up. Same result whether I use the remote or turn it down by hand.

Turning the unit off and back on doesn't seem to fix it, but after a minute or two everything is back to normal. It does this a few times a week.

Any thoughts?

I too have a HK AVR 320 almost 4 years old now. I've never had the volume problem but have had the leds for the Stereo, 5 Channel Stereo, 7 Channel Stereo flicker. Even though the unit was out of warranty I emailed tech support and explained my situation and how I loved them and had other HK products thoughout the home. They agreed to pay the parts while I pay the labor. Six months later the same thing happened. I figured I was screwed this time, but I sent another email to tech support telling them what happened and that I did not trust the local Tech company as I had trouble with them before fixing other electronics. They promptly emailed me back with a UPS sticker to print out to ship to Virginia--one of their premeir tech centers. I spoke with the company the other day and asked if by chance they check everything a bring the unit back up to factory specs. They did. All this with full warranty service. I had not seen that kind of customer support since the 70's. Apparantly, to much cat/dog hair got into the unit and was causing problems along with a cap a few other parts. So, if the problem continues go to the HK website and email tech support in a very nice manner and butter them up with some nice language and see what happens.

Boxbot
07-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the responses.

It's not the remote. That's what I thought initially, but even with the batteries out I had the same problem.

Thanks for the advice poneal, I'll pucker up to customer support.

superpanavision70mm
07-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Did you ever see the movie MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE? This sounds like a great sequel.

jlcct
07-17-2006, 06:06 AM
My AVR7000 does the same thing. It has become sort of a threat for me. I live in an apartment and usauly work 3rd shift. When I get home I watch a movie or something and at 4:00 A.M. the thing goes to maximum volume. I will be half asleep and out of nowhere I am having a heart attack.

I was watching Munich and there is a scene where it's all quiet and the volume went up but I didn't notice because I had been exhausted and starting to fall asleep. Suddenly my walls are shaking bass is pounding and my heart almost exploded. Man, an old persons life could realy be threatened.