Small clips for speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Small clips for speakers

munday63
07-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi, i have a set of 5 speakers and a subwoofer with simple 2-wire connections at each end and i was wondering if anyone knew where i could pick up a cheap dvd player for these speakers?

Also i was wondering if anyone knew the techincal name for the clips which you have to connect the cable to?

Thanks

markw
07-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi, i have a set of 5 speakers and a subwoofer with simple 2-wire connections at each end and i was wondering if anyone knew where i could pick up a cheap dvd player for these speakers?

Also i was wondering if anyone knew the techincal name for the clips which you have to connect the cable to?

ThanksYou're need a receiver to go between the DVD player and those speakers. Even then, it's not likely your subwoofer would work without yet another amplifier.

munday63
07-12-2006, 09:59 AM
What about to use the speakers for a pc?

markw
07-12-2006, 10:02 AM
What about to use the speakers for a pc?Still gonna need an amp or a receiver.

Speakers are worthless without amplifiers (or a receiver, which contains amplifiers) driving them.

munday63
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Where can i pick up a cheap amp?

markw
07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Where can i pick up a cheap amp? Best Buy and Circuit City sell HT receivers for $130 and up. Of course, if these are not available to you, well...

That'll take care of the five main speakers. The receiver provides an output for powered subwoofers but yours isn't powered. You'll still need an amp for that "subwoofer.

Resident Loser
07-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Best Buy and Circuit City sell HT receivers for $130 and up. Of course, if these are not available to you, well...

That'll take care of the five main speakers. The receiver provides an output for powered subwoofers but yours isn't powered. You'll still need an amp for that "subwoofer.

...hangin' out at Bill Colbert's Audio Exchange at the Roosevelt Field mall quite some time ago...customer walks in, looks around, points to a Nakamichi Dragon and asks "how many speakers can I hook up to that?"...

jimHJJ(...ain't life fun...)