trying to shake off the boredom [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : trying to shake off the boredom

Tarheel_
07-12-2006, 04:44 AM
hi guys, been around here a few years and really lost that excitment on the HT hobby. So this Fall I plan to do a 'cheap' HT in my basement using a front projector.
I've done a good job on audio and have a nice 7.1 setup, but not sure about the video side.

I've got a budget of $1500 and have been studying hard on projectorcentral. The room will be total light control and very dark (basement). Room is 24 x 12 w/ 9' ceiling.

I'm leaning toward the Panasonic AE900U. With rebates, it's $1400.

I plan to go HD via Directv and watch mostly sports and DVDs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I also need/want to build a DIY screen.

TIA,
Greg

Geoffcin
07-12-2006, 07:57 AM
hi guys, been around here a few years and really lost that excitment on the HT hobby. So this Fall I plan to do a 'cheap' HT in my basement using a front projector.
I've done a good job on audio and have a nice 7.1 setup, but not sure about the video side.

I've got a budget of $1500 and have been studying hard on projectorcentral. The room will be total light control and very dark (basement). Room is 24 x 12 w/ 9' ceiling.

I'm leaning toward the Panasonic AE900U. With rebates, it's $1400.

I plan to go HD via Directv and watch mostly sports and DVDs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I also need/want to build a DIY screen.

TIA,
Greg

And the've really come a long way. A $1500 projector today bests a lot of $3000+ projectors of just a few years ago. Panasonic sits up at, or near the top of this price class with the AE900U.

Tarheel_
07-13-2006, 04:11 AM
i get the same feeling after reading alot of information and reviews...seems they have it together and with a $400 rebate which pulls it down to $1400 shipped, not too shabby. It's less than i spent on a 4:3 50" Hitachi back in 01.

Geoffcin
07-13-2006, 05:12 AM
i get the same feeling after reading alot of information and reviews...seems they have it together and with a $400 rebate which pulls it down to $1400 shipped, not too shabby. It's less than i spent on a 4:3 50" Hitachi back in 01.

A great screen can top a grand, most good ones are at least $500. Gotta add that into the price.