FM Reception [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : FM Reception

first timer
07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
I finally got my Denon AVR receiver up and running. I purchased a powered antenna to improve reception. I still get static on some stations. Any recommendations on how to improve reception? I have been told that placing the antenna in the attic will solve this problem.

poneal
07-12-2006, 04:54 AM
I did some research awhile back and discovered that the good old "Jesus" T type antenna works better than most all other antennas indoors. Total cost: about a $1.00. If you really want good reception then you need to mount the antenna outside, attic is ok, but a nice roof antenna would probably work best. I just stick with the T-antenna and it works ok for me.

markw
07-12-2006, 05:22 AM
A tiny piece of metal can only pick up so much clean signal to begin with and all those tiny amplified antennas do is amplify the noise along with the signal. A big amp cannot compensate for a tiny antenna.

My experience echos Poneal's in that I find those cheapo "T" antennas worked better than all the tiny amplified antennas I've tried and believe me, I've tried 'em.

Can you put up an outdoor antenna? They don't have to be huge and massive, just up high enough to pick up clean signals.

Here's a tool to see what's available where you are. I suggest the "advanced search", where you put in your zip code and state. Knowing a little bit of your local geography helps here. ...and a map.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?page=Y

If you've got a lot of fairly local stations in all directions, then this is a good bet. I use one of these and have a full dial.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=FMSS&xzoom=zoom

If there's a lot of stations in one direction and they are farther away, then a directional antenna like this is a good place to start.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=FM6

daviethek
07-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Someone wrote that Radio Shack was closing down many stores and supposedly offering their antennas cheap. Perhaps in your area.?

The need for an antenna depends entirely on where you are in realtion to the sources. If your favorite stations are 30 miles or so away, consider a roof mount or side of the house mount antenna. roof mount are directional but you can position it in a compromise direction and get all the stations you need cleanly. There are omnidirectional roof or attic mount units as well. Your costs will be 50 to 110.00 including coax. With a good and properly grounded antenna you will never have to worry about reception.

I agree completely with prior comments about the t-bar being the first thing to try and the amplified antennas generally being crap.

JohnMichael
07-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Check out the Magnum Dynalab FM Antenna at www.audiadvisor.com. It has received some good reviews and is easy to install and place. Priced at $99.95

markw
07-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Check out the Magnum Dynalab FM Antenna at www.audiadvisor.com. It has received some good reviews and is easy to install and place. Priced at $99.95Yes, it's the current darling of the monied set but, ultimately, if you were to mount a $4.00 "T" bar antenna as you mount this one, you would have similar performance.

That little FMSS, mounted properly, will outperform this one by a wide margin. But, it's not put out by a known* name.

For this kind of money you can get virtually any of the previously mentioned antennas, which will without a doubt outperform this by miles, and all cable an hardware needed to properly mount it and have quite a bit left over for some music or movies.

*I say this facetiously since antenna craft has been designing antennas for much longer than dynalab has been around.

SlumpBuster
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm not a big believer in hyped up antennae, at least if the tuner it is feeding is crap. Most modern receivers use tuner circuitry that is almost an after thought. I don't know how that particular Denon is, but my experience with Denons, Pioneers and Technics, ect. have not been good. The only receivers I like are 90s vintage H/K and any vintage Yammie, in terms of their tuner at least. Absent having those, if the Denon doesn't satisfy you, get a vintage tuner. Lots of separate tuners from 80's are available on Ebay for less then $50. They won't look out of place among modern equipment (at least I don't think they do) and they will blow the doors off the denon. I like and use Akai ($15) and Yamaha ($20) tuners, both 80's vintage, both use simple wire antennae and pull in stations that I can't get with any other tuner, no static and excellant frequency separation.

Smokey
07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I did some research awhile back and discovered that the good old "Jesus" T type antenna works better than most all other antennas indoors. Total cost: about a $1.00. If you really want good reception then you need to mount the antenna outside, attic is ok, but a nice roof antenna would probably work best.

Excellent post.

As you said, T shape antenna (electrically known as halfwave dipole) is the best antenna, and nothing come close is term of signal strength and noise rejection when “T” antenna is in resonant state in FM band. And for antenna to be in resonant state in FM band, the length of antenna (the horizontal part of the “T”) have to be exactly 5 feet long.

So look for antennas that are 5 feet.

JohnMichael
07-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Sometimes the construction technique of your home can interfere with reception. Moving your antenna may help a great deal. Close placement to a window facing the direction of the stations you wish to receive can help a lot with small powered antenna. If you are still having problems an external mount antenna will be the best.

first timer
07-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I will try the T antenna first since its the most economical. If that doesn't work I will try some of the other ideas. I guess its trial and error.

The Tahitijack
07-24-2006, 02:28 PM
As a follow-up to SlumpBuster. Its hard to believe that you can spand hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a RECEIVER that does not receive and produce clean FM. When a cheep table radio placed near a receiver picks up more stations and plays them static free there is something wrong.

As to the original post. There is another cheep antenae that for me got the job done. I read this in an audio magazine many years ago. Using a long length of table lamp electrical wire I split the two strands at one end and formed a rectangle shape 3 ft on the long sides and 2 ft on the short side and secure it on floor of my attac (you could do this on the ceiling of a closet) then ran the wire back to the FM antenna connection of the receiver. You might need to have someone help with this if the antena placement needs a to be shifted to improve signal strength (thanks to cell phones this is very easy). This is the olde "T" shaped antena taken one notch up. It worked for me when I was living in Dana Point, CA but wanted to pull in LA FM stations 60-80 miles away.