Having a little bit of knowledge .. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Having a little bit of knowledge ..

Wireworm5
07-11-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm not the most knowledgable guy when it comes to audio but I've learned a few things. Having some audio knowledge gives you confidence as a shopper that very few of us have in other areas in our life. Armed with a little knowledge the salesman is not going to blow smoke up your *%!. For example: when they try to sell you expensive speaker wire, ( I know its snake oil ), so I tell them I need 180' and can't afford it at this time.
Or a high school student offers you some sales help. You ask "does this receiver drive a low impedance load?" Its fun to watch as they become baffled and go for help. And if your girlfriend is with you this will impress her as she will think your not the dumb smuck she thought you were.
Having more knowledge about a product than the dealer, you can ask some really tough questions or play the novice and listen to all the BS, Its your choice. :)

Feanor
07-12-2006, 08:15 AM
... Having some audio knowledge gives you confidence as a shopper that very few of us have in other areas in our life. Armed with a little knowledge the salesman is not going to blow smoke up your *%!.
Having more knowledge about a product than the dealer, you can ask some really tough questions or play the novice and listen to all the BS, Its your choice. :)

I have found for many years that my knowledge was generally greater than that of hi-fi sales staff -- and that's not saying much for my knowledge.

And it's not only Best Buy types who are ignorant; some high-end shop staff's knowledge is most often pretty sophomoric too. And worse than a little knowledge, is a little knowledge plus a lot of opinion. (Golden eared subjectivists, take heed.)
:16:

Resident Loser
07-12-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm not the most knowledgable guy when it comes to audio but I've learned a few things. Having some audio knowledge gives you confidence as a shopper that very few of us have in other areas in our life. Armed with a little knowledge the salesman is not going to blow smoke up your *%!. For example: when they try to sell you expensive speaker wire, ( I know its snake oil ), so I tell them I need 180' and can't afford it at this time.
Or a high school student offers you some sales help. You ask "does this receiver drive a low impedance load?" Its fun to watch as they become baffled and go for help. And if your girlfriend is with you this will impress her as she will think your not the dumb smuck she thought you were.

...that's fun...do it at a car dealer...I've got a pretty good handle on that topic having been exposed to it for most of my life via my father and uncle, having been really into cars as a teenager and doing most of my own repairs etc.

I love to ask questions and watch that look come over them...and I don't mean really tech-y stuff, just info that I would be conversant with if I were selling the product...It's only rarely that will you run into a salesman that's capable of having a reasonable, item oriented conversation with...

jimHJJ(...today cars, tomorrow refrigerators...)

topspeed
07-12-2006, 09:32 AM
My dad gave me some sage advice years ago that has served me well:

The key to any negotiation is knowing more than the other guy.