songs with bass [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : songs with bass

dwass5656
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
i want to make a mix of songs that will hit hard in my car...any suggestions

Busy Child by The Crystal Method : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/10083253

sounds amazing!

cam
07-11-2006, 05:38 PM
This is not my kind of music but it has really great bass and every now and then I put it on. My daughter had the original cd and this one song sounded so good, I decided to burn it. Here goes, Destiny's Child - Bootylicious. This song has my Paradigm PW-2200 sub absolutely freakin out. If you have subs in your car, this song will hit hard.

jocko_nc
07-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Metallica...

PHiX
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Mobb Deep - Shook ones pt 2 / Q.U. hectic / Eye for an eye
Capone n noreaga - illegal life / L.A. L.A.
Goretex - The art of dying
Necro - Rugged **** / scumbags
Dan the Automator - A better tomorrow
Perceptionists - Blo
Tech n9ne - the industry is punks
Cormega - Fallen soldiers
Non phixion - We are the future
Jedi mind tricks - the wolf
NWA - Real *****z dont die
Canibus - Cemantics

If these songs won't make your windows fall out, then I dunno what will. You need some affinity with hiphop though, and i dont mean that garbage you see on tv.

emorphien
07-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't think much of what I listen to really qualifies for this list, and that which is bassy enough would probably sound horribly out of place :lol:

Worf101
07-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Lauryn Hill's "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill". Bass so deep it rocks my soul.

Da Worfster..

PS I'm a Bass Player... so I know of whence I speak.

Grandpaw
07-12-2006, 05:11 AM
I will run through my Kenny G albums and pick out a few that really rock! LOL, Jeff

BRANDONH
07-12-2006, 07:22 AM

Busy Child by The Crystal Method : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/10083253

sounds amazing!

Here is a link that has mixes already and you also can create a custom cd too.
http://www.pandisc.com/homepage.cfm
These cds have Mega Bass and all come with a Mega Bass Warning Clause.
I have the Maximun Boom CD Volume 2 http://www.pandisc.com/catquery.cfm?productID=PD-8922 and when I want to impress my friends with a ton of bass I throw it on.
As I said these CD's have Maximum Gut Wrenching BOOM so you better have a healthy subwoofer or it will blow the cone right out of the basket.

BinFrog
07-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Primus - My Name Is Mud
Vital Tech Tones - The Litigants
Zep - When The Levee Breaks

Woochifer
07-13-2006, 12:01 PM
From that same Crystal Method album, you should give "High Roller" a spin. Massive bass that creates a lot of movement on my subwoofer, and pumps a lot of air through the ports whenever I direct all of the lows into my main speakers.

You should also sample Crystal Method's Legion of Boom album. I know that a lot of bass is present on the 5.1 mix, but that could be because the 5.1 version has a separate LFE track, and I don't recall how much bass was on the two-channel track.

JoeE SP9
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Boney James-----------Nothin' But Love--------from Sweet Thing
Lots of killer electric bass
Tim Weisberg-----------Summertime------------from Undercover
This is one of the best recorded upright bass' I've heard.
Groove Collective------I Am------------------------from Groove Collective
This CD has several tunes with deep bass also including Lift Off.
:16:

Glen B
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Kin- by Sounds from the Ground:
1. Gather.
2. Drawn to the Woman.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1128864&style=music&cart=363601602&BAB=M

Luminal - by Sounds from the Ground:
1. Stampede.
2. Tumbledown.
3. Move On.
4. Poems.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6763844&style=music&cart=363721320

5 - by B-Tribe:
1. Demasiado.
2. Love.
3. Misterio.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6288708&style=music&cart=363601602

emorphien
07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
You should also sample Crystal Method's Legion of Boom album. I know that a lot of bass is present on the 5.1 mix, but that could be because the 5.1 version has a separate LFE track, and I don't recall how much bass was on the two-channel track.
A lot of bass on the DTS mix, but the DVD-A tracks make you question why it's called the "Legion of Boom" :(

E-Stat
07-13-2006, 03:55 PM
The "Changes" band on DJ Rap's Learning Curve album. Unbelievable subterranean bass! I've heard it on a reviewer friend's Nola Grand Exotica system with the woofers driven by Krell amps and the mains by a pair of VTL Wotans. BTW, DJ Rap is a rather attractive British lass. ;)

http://mindauzas.progressive.lt/mp3/electronic13/DJ%20Rap%20(1999)%20-%20Learning%20Curve.gif

rw

Florian
07-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Well the following wont "hit" hard but will give ANY system regardless of price a workout. Its a CD that can get my DIVA to struggle a bit at high levels.

The Michael Woodward Series- Ian Tracey Plays Organ Transcriptions and French Romantic Music on The Henry Willis III Grand Organ of Liverpool Cathedral- Lamento (Douze Pieces).....amongst others.

Woochifer
07-14-2006, 11:40 AM
A lot of bass on the DTS mix, but the DVD-A tracks make you question why it's called the "Legion of Boom" :(

Interesting, because the DTS track is what I've been listening to (I don't have a DVD-A player, just SACD). If there is a mismatch in the bass levels between the DVD-A and DTS tracks, it could be because the LFE track in the DTS mix is 10 db higher. The early DTS processors required that you boost the LFE level by 10 db in order to match the Dolby Digital levels on nearly all movie DVDs. But, with the early DTS music discs, you'd have to lower the LFE level by 10 db to the default level.

I thought that DTS had taken care of this with their more recent releases (I've not had to lower the LFE levels on DTS Entertainment's Blue Man Group and Porcupine Tree releases), but that might explain the mismatch that you're hearing. In this case, it sounds like either the DTS track's LFE is 10 db too high, or the DVD-A LFE is 10 db too low. Try boosting the DVD-A's LFE level by 10 db and see if it equalizes with the DTS track.

jrhymeammo
07-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Mobb Deep - Shook ones pt 2 / Q.U. hectic / Eye for an eye
Capone n noreaga - illegal life / L.A. L.A.
Goretex - The art of dying
Necro - Rugged **** / scumbags
Dan the Automator - A better tomorrow
Perceptionists - Blo
Tech n9ne - the industry is punks
Cormega - Fallen soldiers
Non phixion - We are the future
Jedi mind tricks - the wolf
NWA - Real *****z dont die
Canibus - Cemantics

If these songs won't make your windows fall out, then I dunno what will. You need some affinity with hiphop though, and i dont mean that garbage you see on tv.

YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I love this kid's taste, except for Tech N9ne.... I really hope you dont download their stuff, it's bad enough that most of them can barely afford time in studio.

Anything produced by Stoupe from Jedi Mind Tricks are worth checking out.
Zion I - Trippin
CMA fea. Del - Tactics. Heavy stuff
Roger Waters - Three Wishes.

Anything produced by EL-P

SlumpBuster
07-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Here is a link that has mixes already and you also can create a custom cd too.
http://www.pandisc.com/homepage.cfm
These cds have Mega Bass and all come with a Mega Bass Warning Clause.
I have the Maximun Boom CD Volume 2 http://www.pandisc.com/catquery.cfm?productID=PD-8922 and when I want to impress my friends with a ton of bass I throw it on.
As I said these CD's have Maximum Gut Wrenching BOOM so you better have a healthy subwoofer or it will blow the cone right out of the basket.

I haven't gotten a pandisc record in years, but I always liked them because unlike alot of Bass records, it was still actually good music too.

Pandisc is definately the way to go.

SlumpBuster
07-14-2006, 03:06 PM
From that same Crystal Method album, you should give "High Roller" a spin. Massive bass that creates a lot of movement on my subwoofer, and pumps a lot of air through the ports whenever I direct all of the lows into my main speakers.

I was going to point out High Roller to the original poster too, but then I thought better. I thought if he has the CD and still hasn't found High Roller, then he is just lazy. If he is just downloading random Crystal Method songs of Napster, then... well... he is hopeless. :D

All kidding aside, High Roller is my bass workout track. I keep it in my truck just to piss people off at stop lights. :D Plus that whole record never has worn out on me.

Hyfi
07-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe a little late but here are a few:

Just My Wish- Jimmy Charleson Bass from Carl Filipiak- Blue Entrance

Buena by Morphene

Shape of a Dancer- Yokeshire

The Call & Toys by Vertu (Stanley Clark/Lenny White)

LA Underground by Larry Carlton and Lee Rittenour

r m
07-16-2006, 01:22 AM
Pink - Missundaztood

shokhead
07-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Grand Funk Railroad-Grand Funk remastered import. Killer bass,killer

ssarm@mac.com
07-16-2006, 08:24 AM
you guys forgot the best bass song of all

no doubt, its Parliament's Flashlight

DiscoRage
07-16-2006, 05:40 PM
"The Package" by A Perfect Circle on Thirteenth Step. It's a rock song, but the bass is more intense than any hip hop song I've heard. It's the type of bass that makes you feel like you have a fat woman standing on your chest.

I've had complaints from neighbours after playing this song :)

JoeE SP9
07-16-2006, 06:19 PM
DiscoRage, you must really dislike that pioneer thing!:cool:

teledynepost
07-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Sunn O)))

superpanavision70mm
07-17-2006, 12:32 AM
First....I've noticed a lack of bass when comparing the MLP to DTS on DVD-Audio discs....a few examples would be Queen's THE GAME and a song like DRAGON ATTACK has great bass....so that's one example to check out for bass when it comes to multichannel....there are several others including the Crystal Method LEGION OF BOOM DVD-A already mentioned.

There are also a few surprising songs with some really sweet bass (I am assuming that we are looking for songs that have low-end, not necessarily good bass-lines as in Jaco Pastorious)...not songs that you might expect or artists you might expect. Those being...

Sarah McLachlan's I LOVE YOU (bass entirely through at really low frequencies)
The Cranberries THE CONCEPT (awesome bass beat)
Alan Parsons Project TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (entire album)
Stevie Wonder's SUPERSTITION and HIGHER GROUND (nice beats)
Sigur Ros (track # 2 from the album () ) (superb low end throughout)
The Flaming Lips A SPOONFUL WEIGHS A TON (bass hit)
Kenny Wayne Shepherd EVERYTIME IT RAINS (deep bass)
Jewel INNOCENCE MAINTAINED (really deep bass)

Ok, now here is a really really really REALLY great song for everyone to check out that is the PERFECT demo for your system. The reason why is because #1 it's melodic in both high end and low end frequencies #2 there are no vocals, so this is purely an instrumental track to help calibrate your gear and #3 it's obscure, but very catchy.

The song is called MESSAGE TO CROMMIE by Planet 4 Folk Quartet

hifitommy
07-21-2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:brfozfo1eh5k

the synth bass is scary deep and loud. a speaker buster. be careful.

hifitommy
07-21-2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:brfozfo1eh5k

the synth bass is scary deep and loud. be careful.

shokhead
07-22-2006, 04:21 AM
First....I've noticed a lack of bass when comparing the MLP to DTS on DVD-Audio discs....a few examples would be Queen's THE GAME and a song like DRAGON ATTACK has great bass....so that's one example to check out for bass when it comes to multichannel....there are several others including the Crystal Method LEGION OF BOOM DVD-A already mentioned.

There are also a few surprising songs with some really sweet bass (I am assuming that we are looking for songs that have low-end, not necessarily good bass-lines as in Jaco Pastorious)...not songs that you might expect or artists you might expect. Those being...

Sarah McLachlan's I LOVE YOU (bass entirely through at really low frequencies)
The Cranberries THE CONCEPT (awesome bass beat)
Alan Parsons Project TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (entire album)
Stevie Wonder's SUPERSTITION and HIGHER GROUND (nice beats)
Sigur Ros (track # 2 from the album () ) (superb low end throughout)
The Flaming Lips A SPOONFUL WEIGHS A TON (bass hit)
Kenny Wayne Shepherd EVERYTIME IT RAINS (deep bass)
Jewel INNOCENCE MAINTAINED (really deep bass)

Ok, now here is a really really really REALLY great song for everyone to check out that is the PERFECT demo for your system. The reason why is because #1 it's melodic in both high end and low end frequencies #2 there are no vocals, so this is purely an instrumental track to help calibrate your gear and #3 it's obscure, but very catchy.

The song is called MESSAGE TO CROMMIE by Planet 4 Folk Quartet

DTS isnt using the BM from the player but from the receiver which almost always has better bm. Also some receivers have a seperate setting for DTS other then normal bm, for more or less lfe. A good way to hear the differenmce is listen to a dts disc through the analogs and then switch to the dig. Night and day as far as bass on my setup.

Mark_IDT
07-30-2006, 10:35 PM
sence you mention crystal method I'd say the song PHD from tweekend has a bit more going for it in the bass dept than high roller. Though it may not be as deep it just dosen't stop. Play that at a red light and see what the motorists think. I could go on and on about NIN songs with amazing bass but theres too many.

eisforelectronic
07-31-2006, 01:33 AM
Any DnB mix. I like DJ DB and Reid Speed

Hawkeye
07-31-2006, 05:23 AM
DTS isnt using the BM from the player but from the receiver which almost always has better bm. Also some receivers have a seperate setting for DTS other then normal bm, for more or less lfe. A good way to hear the differenmce is listen to a dts disc through the analogs and then switch to the dig. Night and day as far as bass on my setup.

I think you've touched on a very important piece here shokhead.

westcott
07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Here are a few songs from us old folk.

Hell Freeze's Over CD and "Hotel California".

Most of the Pink Floyd Albums.

DePeche Mode has some deep synth and organs on "Violator" and "Songs of Faith and Devotion".

And believer it or not, I was in random play the other day and found some of the Madonna albums with some pretty low frequency material.

GMichael
07-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears - Mama Im Coming Home (The whole CD really, but this one has the most base)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

westcott
07-31-2006, 08:20 AM
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears - Mama Im Coming Home (The whole CD really, but this one has the most base)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

I knew there were a few holes in my music collection and I was wondering what AC/DC album you would recommend? A greatest hits album maybe?

Any recommendations on Black Sabbath would also be appreciated.

GMichael
07-31-2006, 09:08 AM
I knew there were a few holes in my music collection and I was wondering what AC/DC album you would recommend? A greatest hits album maybe?

Any recommendations on Black Sabbath would also be appreciated.

The AC/DC I would go with is Back in Black. IMO it was their best. I am not familiar with their greatest hits albums to know how good they are. Albums huh? You got us both showing our ages. What, no 8-tracks?

I loved the Heaven & Hell tour, & album, from Black Sabbath. This is the one with Ronnie James Dio as the singer. (Also good for base) It was the "Black & Blue" tour with B.O.C. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was good. And the classic - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll. You almost can't go wrong with any of them. Here's a good link. http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

Most of Ozzy's albums were also very good.

westcott
07-31-2006, 09:17 AM
What, no 8-tracks?

In matter of fact, I do have a shoe box full of eight tracks that I can not bring myself to get rid of. My wife's 69 Olds 442 had an eight track that I spent many an hour working on to get it to work again. We sold it for a good chunk of change but we both miss the old girl. Now that I have a house, I may have to talk the wife into building another hot rod after the home remodel is complete.

shokhead
07-31-2006, 09:22 AM
The AC/DC I would go with is Back in Black. IMO it was their best. I am not familiar with their greatest hits albums to know how good they are. Albums huh? You got us both showing our ages. What, no 8-tracks?

I loved the Heaven & Hell tour, & album, from Black Sabbath. This is the one with Ronnie James Dio as the singer. (Also good for base) It was the "Black & Blue" tour with B.O.C. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was good. And the classic - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll. You almost can't go wrong with any of them. Here's a good link. http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

Most of Ozzy's albums were also very good.

Does BS have anything remastered?

GMichael
07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
In matter of fact, I do have a shoe box full of eight tracks that I can not bring myself to get rid of. My wife's 69 Olds 442 had an eight track that I spent many an hour working on to get it to work again. We sold it for a good chunk of change but we both miss the old girl. Now that I have a house, I may have to talk the wife into building another hot rod after the home remodel is complete.

I still have a working 8-track recorder at home. It does garage duty.

A 69 442 huh? Nice classic. Must have been like selling off your first born. I know the feeling. I just sold my Harley to help pay for the extras we are putting in our house. So if my wife starts complaining that I'm riding the quarts counter tops, everyone should know why.

GMichael
07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Does BS have anything remastered?

It looks like a couple of the later releases on this site were remastered.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

This one looks to cover most of the Ozzy years and is a remaster.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/blackbox.html

westcott
07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
I still have a working 8-track recorder at home. It does garage duty.

A 69 442 huh? Nice classic. Must have been like selling off your first born. I know the feeling. I just sold my Harley to help pay for the extras we are putting in our house. So if my wife starts complaining that I'm riding the quarts counter tops, everyone should know why.

The real problem were memorabilia collectors and theives. We could not take it anywhere without someone stealing a center cap or trim ring or even the numbers.

Well, if any counter top can take the weight of you or a Harley, it would be quartz counter top. We just installed ours and we love them. No sealing, invisible seam lines, non porous, and far less likely to break, crack, or fail when compared to traditional granite.

Priorities change but you may get your bike back some day. Good Luck and thanks for the suggestions.

GMichael
07-31-2006, 10:02 AM
The real problem were memorabilia collectors and theives. We could not take it anywhere without someone stealing a center cap or trim ring or even the numbers.

Well, if any counter top can take the weight of you or a Harley, it would be quartz counter top. We just installed ours and we love them. No sealing, invisible seam lines, non porous, and far less likely to break, crack, or fail when compared to traditional granite.

Priorities change but you may get your bike back some day. Good Luck and thanks for the suggestions.

I bet. Must have been a pain trying to make sure nothing vanished from it all the time.

That's what I've read about them. I hope they make wifey happy. It was a compromize though. She wanted a light color and I wanted dark (one of the counters would border my HT room). So she agreed to go with my color but only if we got quartz.

Maybe, time will tell. You are welcome. Enjoy.

But now I've gone and done it. Can't get Sweet Leaf to stop playing in the back of my mind. Sure hope the CD is in the car for the ride home. Da dant, da da da, na dah dant, da dant, da da da. :15:

Another good track for base is Rush's BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG from Fly By Night.

I. At the Tobes of Hades
The Tobes of Hades
Lit by flickering torchlight
The Netherworld is gathered in the glare
Prince By-Tor takes the cavern
To the north light
The sign of Eth is rising in the air
By-Tor, knight of darkness,
Centurion of evil
Devil's prince

II. Across the Styx
Across the River Styx
Out of the lamplight
His nemesis is waiting at the gate
The Snow Dog, ermine glowing
In the damp night
Coal-black eyes shimmering with hate
By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Square for battle
Let the fray begin

III. Of the Battle

Instrumental

IV. Epilogue
The battle's over
And the dust is clearing
Disciples of the Snow Dog sound the knell
Rejoicing echoes
As the dawn is nearing
By-Tor in defeat
Retreats to Hell
Snow Dog is victorious
The land of the Overworld
Is saved again

texlle
08-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Not to be vague, but your best bets are going to be most rap, hip-hop, and smooth jazz believe it or not, most specifically from the past 10 years or so. For Jazz, I would highly recommend music from the rippingtons. I find a lot of jazz, especially by them, to be very bass heavy.

superpanavision70mm
08-01-2006, 06:47 AM
Rap and Hip Hop are certainly bass-heavy, but not necessarily a good gauge because it's typically just a thumping bass that is around one low frequency, whereas some of the titles that I mentioned actually have various frequencies and dynamics.

hmmmm
08-01-2006, 08:12 AM
How about Fisherspooner's latest one...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007VZ97G/sr=8-1/qid=1154448646/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7201401-8110324?ie=UTF8
I actually like this cd - usually I stay away from this kind of music:)

audio amateur
08-01-2006, 11:06 AM
You may want to go with trip-hop, which is also very bassy music, however most of it is not extremely low bass. I would call it mid-bass/bass. You should try Portishead's "dummy" album, which is I like very much. It has prolonged bass notes, which are melodious.
Hip-hop is also always a good bet, as previously stated. Especially if you're looking for for hard hitting stuff.

nightflier
08-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Massive Attack. Their Mezzanine cd is quite a workout.

But like many posters have said, most hip hop is bass heavy only in depth but not in width. To really give a full-range speaker (and a pair of subs if you have 'em) a good workout is to play music where part of the melody is in the bass. Bach's Fugue in D is always fun (and popular enough to be played in a lowrider w/o being laughed out of the parking lot). Some other good organ music can be had from Franck & Dupre.

Another nice bassy piece is the second movement of "The Pines of Rome" by Respighi, about 3 minutes into the track - you can tell your fellow bass-heads it's the soundtrack to the Gladiator (not really, but they probably won't know that). If your system can play this without breaking up and the volume set at 12 noon, then you've got some solid speakers. I also think Philip Glass (of Candyman fame), has some impressive bass-heavy compositions.

And if you're looking for some more suggestions, SVS (the subwoofer guys) have some great suggestions on their website:

http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#moviedemos

audio amateur
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Bach's Fugue in D is always fun (and popular enough to be played in a lowrider w/o being laughed out of the parking lot).

hahaha agreed!!!!
Also agreed on the massive attack part, great music!!

Hyfi
08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Not to be vague, but your best bets are going to be most rap, hip-hop, and smooth jazz believe it or not, most specifically from the past 10 years or so. For Jazz, I would highly recommend music from the rippingtons. I find a lot of jazz, especially by them, to be very bass heavy.

Going to have to agree with Rippingtons for sure. I didn't mention them in my earlier post but they came to mind along with many GRP disks. I have almost every Rippingtons cd but Sahara has a few way down deep bass tracks. Kim Stone likes to play at the lower end of the spectrum. I have seen them 4 times but not in the last 4 years or so.

I noticed your Dynaudio logo in your post. I have the 82s and love them. Which model do you have?

Brian

audio amateur
08-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Brian, they are mentionned in his profil:-)

Hyfi
08-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Brian, they are mentionned in his profil:-)

Duh'Oh...still learning to read.

chaos24
08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
if you want BASS, go old school and check out dj magic mike....hard, low and major bass....any album will do....it will not disappoint you or your subs

JoeE SP9
08-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Going to have to agree with Rippingtons for sure. I didn't mention them in my earlier post but they came to mind along with many GRP disks. I have almost every Rippingtons cd but Sahara has a few way down deep bass tracks. Kim Stone likes to play at the lower end of the spectrum. I have seen them 4 times but not in the last 4 years or so.

I noticed your Dynaudio logo in your post. I have the 82s and love them. Which model do you have?

Brian

Saw your reference to Rippingtons. Checked my library and found I have four of their CD's
Welcome To The St. James Club
Black Diamond
Life In The Tropics
Let It Rip
I've never really listened to them for one reason or another. Which would you recommend I give a serious listen to first?:idea:

hifitommy
08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
i know your message isnt to me but although i have rippingtons, i find that its too contemp for me. i have seen steve reid live and that was much better than listening to their CDs. i find real jazz to be more interesting and rewarding than contemporary stuff.

JoeE SP9
08-22-2006, 08:48 AM
i know your message isnt to me but although i have rippingtons, i find that its too contemp for me. i have seen steve reid live and that was much better than listening to their CDs. i find real jazz to be more interesting and rewarding than contemporary stuff.

Hi tr;
I feel much the same way about Rippingtons. I'm just willing to give them a chance seeing as I've got four of their CD's. For those who like electric/fusion give John McLaughlin, The Promise a shot. I would place it in the "real jazz' category.:cool:

nightflier
08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
If I can make one more plug for classical music. I'm listening to Respighi's Pines of Rome. About 1.5 minutes into the second movement, the music was extremely low, so I turned the volume way up. The music brings up images of the Roman Army marching down the Apian way at the height of Roman power. Very dramatic - makes the Gladiator soundtrack sound mild by comparison. Anyhow, it certainly gave gave my sub a good workout.

KRiTiKaL
08-22-2006, 01:59 PM
The entire Too short cd - life is Too short.

early pink floyd....

chaos24
09-12-2006, 04:39 PM
The entire Too short cd - life is Too short.....
too short has alot of bass....check out too shorts .....cocktails and album #10...full of crazy bass.,,,but i still say go to dj magic mike, you won't be disappointed

audio amateur
12-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Reviving an old thread as I have some new ideas:
Survival of the fittest by Mobb Deep.
Late night tip by Three Six Mafia - v. nice bass line, love it.
Light by Benassi Bros. - The beginning is the best, at 0:08;) it's simply insane.
Under the Influence by The Chemical Bros. - love the descending opening sweep.
Bass, I love you by Bassotronics - this one will show some serious excursion, if your sub's in a ported box and has no subsonic filter, you'll know what i'm talking about:cornut:
Bass Anthem by Bass Patrol - again a very good one.
Woofer cooker by Bass Hit - I doubt this one will 'cook' or fry your sub anymore than the others but a very good one aswell.

The last two I have only heard on youtube, but you can find them on the net. Don't forget about your mains if you're going to put your sub(s) to the test, they may be more sensitive to the hostile bass:yikes:

johnny p
12-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm going to admit, I haven't read any of the previous posts to this point, but if you're looking for Bass, and interesting use there of...... The Movie "Pi" check out the soundtrack for that........ that was always "fun bass" back in the day!

basite
12-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Reviving an old thread as I have some new ideas:

nice revival :)
maybe we should continue this thread :)

things that come to mind:

shoshtakovich - symphony n° 4 (the release I have), very very deep bass in this, exellent piece of classical music too
Stravinksy - The firebird, played this last night, was impressed

then,
Trentemoller - The last resort, fantastic album, those who like dark electronical music, this is it :)
Orlando Cachaito Lopez (he only has one album, named after himself), he plays the double bass, and it goes deep
(massive attack - mezzanine, but it's already mentioned)
and the CD recording of Pink Floyd - DSOTM, got some deep bass out there too

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
12-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I remembered about this forum not too long ago and figured I had stuff to add.
Hopefully some of you bassheads (or not) will take advantage of it.
I'll be checking out the classical and that movie:D

audio amateur
12-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Here's another one: Hypnotize by Young Jeezy

Luvin Da Blues
12-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Not for everyone but check out Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo on a lossless format if possible.

audio amateur
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm not saying the ones I mentioned are for everyone, but they are the best in bass:) And that's what we're after here

audio amateur
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm happy to make available any of these songs to anyone (decent quality) minus Bass anthem & Hypnotize:)