What was the first pair of speakers you ever owned? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What was the first pair of speakers you ever owned?

jamison
01-31-2004, 03:21 PM
I have an interesting question, what was the first pair of speakers you owned? how long did they last and did you like them.

my first pair of speakers i bought for myself i saved up $450 and purchased a pair of Realistic Mach 1's. they were driven by a pioneer intergrated amp with 100 WPC. I was 16 at the time and all my friends were envious of me. i was the only one in my circle of friends to own a pair of speakers with monster thumping woofers. Those speakers lasted all the way into the early 90's. those were fun speakers they were not audiophile speakers
but they had a ton of fun factor built into them.

my system is ten times better than what i had as a child, but the fun factor isnt as great.
you know what everyone says radio shack speakers were junk but if you look at the reviews on them on here they are highly rated the only problem with them was foam rot out.
http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/Realistic+Mach+One/PRD_120510_1594crx.aspx#reviews

Harleyx
01-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Sony's. They came with my first system. Just some big box 3 ways. I thought they were the best in the world at the time.
I had to get a loan....for $1800.00 for the system...with stand.
That was 22 years ago. No CD player...they werent out yet...It had a linear LP.

Jimmy C
01-31-2004, 03:36 PM
...about 12 when I bought a pair of Lafayette Criterions... similar to the Mach Ones you mention.

Six months later I had a small pair of Pioneer HPMs. Slightly better.

By age 14 (1980...yikes!), I found "high end" audio stores, and bought the Boston Acoustics A70s. I can remember lusting after the Alisons and Snells, but the "bang for the buck" was firmly planted in that Boston lineup.

46minaudio
01-31-2004, 03:49 PM
KLH 6s I think that was the model #

markw
01-31-2004, 04:01 PM
29.95 each. 8" 2 way (with a 3" tweeter) in a ported cabinet.

Part of my first "real" stereo which also included a Lafayette 224A tube amp (a rip roaran' 6 wpc) and a Garrard AT-60 (with the 1cent Pickering cartridge).

All for the princely sum of $160 or thereabouts in 63 - 64 or so, from snow shoveling and lawn mowing money from the previous few years.

Andy2
01-31-2004, 04:34 PM
My humble journey in Hi-Fi started with a 5.1 set of Onkyo speakers and a Harman Kardon
receiver. Shortly after realizing that there are actually other speakers out there besides those sold that Circuit City, I then ordered a pair of Acoustic Energy evo1. I then sold these at Audiogon then bought a pair of AE Aesprit 309 ... then a pair of EPOS M12 ...
and finally a pair of Spendor S8. I now have a total of there pairs at home but using
on one. The other two are just sitting there collecting dust.

Mikereyno
01-31-2004, 06:41 PM
My first speakers were Ohm Es powered with a Nikko 5055 Stereo Receiver I bought with college graduation money in 1976. The Ohms are actually still in service in my bedroom and still sound pretty good for 28 year old speakers.

tullymars
01-31-2004, 06:52 PM
My first speakers were sears lxi's,they were actually made by fisher,big,12" wolfers,two 5" midrange,and 2" horn tweeter,I had a little nad reciever,it was about 20 watts rms,a dual turntable with a signet cartridge...that little nad reciever litt those big ole speakers up too,bought everything in 1983,sold the componets to a pal of mine after my speakers were stolen,he still has it,and the little nad still sounds great

filecat13
01-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Not counting my first two stereos (Electrophonic three piece units), my first real speakers were JBL L100 Century speakers (early vertical alignment models). They were driven by a Kenwood KR-6160 and I had a Dual 1215 turntable. The Kenwood had to be repaired a couple of times, but it lasted until around 1980. The turntable lasted until maybe 1985.

The L100s are still playing today in my second system upstairs. When I'm on the treadmill, they crank out club mix and dance tracks at high volume and they never, ever miss a beat. After 30+ years, the return on my original $273 a speaker is fantastic.

ryewoods
02-01-2004, 11:19 AM
My first pair were Paradigm Titans. I guess that was 7 or 8 years ago, when I was about 14 or 15. I still have them, but they are now relegated to our small computer room. I had been into home audio well before that because my father got me involved. Home audio has been my hobby for a long time.

kfalls
02-02-2004, 05:06 AM
My first venture into serious audio was a modest system which included:

Advent lage speakers, deluxe model w/rounded edges and wood trim ($149/ea)
Sharp RT-3388 Computer-Controlled Casette Deck (had music/program search)
Kenwood 4077 (not positive about the model #) Receiver (40W/ch)

I had the Advents until upgrading to a pair of Polk SDA Compacts, which I immediately returned and replaced with a pair of Klipsch KG4s which I still own today. The Polks kept shutting down a JVC 100W amp I was trying and had to go. The Advents were purchased in 1976 and given to a friend in 1985. Within a year or two he blew the woofer. I don't have any history after that.

The Klipsch' have been an excellent speaker and I will never sell them. I had purchased another pair in 1983, but later sold them to a friend to feed the upgrade monkey I had on my back at the time. I wish I'd never sold them, but still have one pair.

Worf101
02-02-2004, 07:17 AM
My first set of speakers were some non-descript JVC three ways. Don't know the model number but they servicable to the point where they're still the main speakers in an ex-girlfriends system some 21 years past their purchase. Went on to Ohm Walsh's and Klipsch after that.

Da Worfster

Harleyx
02-02-2004, 08:21 AM
My first set of speakers were some non-descript JVC three ways. Don't know the model number but they servicable to the point where they're still the main speakers in an ex-girlfriends system some 21 years past their purchase. Went on to Ohm Walsh's and Klipsch after that.

Da Worfster
Mostly on here. I've had Paradigm reference 100's, now I have Monitor Audio Reference 60's....I wonder if I should try a pair of Klipsch..?

kfalls
02-02-2004, 08:26 AM
I love my Klipsch', but I don't think they're in the same class as the Paradigm Reference Series. I haven't had an opportunity to see Klipsch' new reference line, but I think the Paradigms have better components and build quality. I'd take a pair of Paradigm Reference 100s anytime over a pair of Klipsch RF7's anytime.

Harleyx
02-02-2004, 08:39 AM
I love my Klipsch', but I don't think they're in the same class as the Paradigm Reference Series. I haven't had an opportunity to see Klipsch' new reference line, but I think the Paradigms have better components and build quality. I'd take a pair of Paradigm Reference 100s anytime over a pair of Klipsch RF7's anytime.
Until I got the MA 60's.

JSE
02-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Sony 3 ways. Big box, big sound, big headache after listening to them for a while. They had 15 inch woofers I think.

JSE

Harleyx
02-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Sony 3 ways. Big box, big sound, big headache after listening to them for a while. They had 15 inch woofers I think.

JSE
My 15 inches gives her a headache,...))

pelly3s
02-02-2004, 11:07 AM
The first pair of speakers I owned were some old 12" 3ways. I don't recall them ever having a name on the cabinet anywhere. My dad used them in the garage then I adopted them. I powered them with a tiny little bookshelf unit and stepped the speaker outputs down (they were only like 8watt outputs) and then used two realistic PA-25's to run them. Souned horrible but it got way too loud. I then got a pair of Optimus LX-10's for $65 on clearence when I worked for radio shack, I still run them occasionally after a few crossover mods and stuff they don't sound too bad. I'm just waiting for my boss to finish the recone on the 15's for my JBL 4430 that were just recently purchased.

Feanor
02-02-2004, 11:49 AM
I have an interesting question, what was the first pair of speakers you owned? how long did they last and did you like them.
Yes, I liked them, but I think the A25 has a sort of cult following today that it doesn't deserve.

I had them for about a year at which time I traded for AR 7's. IMO the latter had much more resolution and a more natural mid-range at some minor sacrifice of bass.

trauski
02-02-2004, 12:21 PM
first speakers where advent 2002 or 4004 something like that. my parents bought them with the help of a friend who helped pick them out. sony 55 watt reciever to drive them , pioneer turntable, sony cassette. then i got the audio bug and bought my first nad 7140 reciever in 1885. ran it with some baby advents that sounded pretty good. then bought some advent legacys and some b&w dm330 . i ran all four speakers with the nad amp it sounded pretty good for a college student at the time. have been using the b&w dm 330 ever since 1987 in my home theature set up ever since and just replaced a few months ago with paradigm studio 60. legacy's are in the garage for jammen when i clean up the garage. anybody want to buy the b&w's all drivers and crossovers replaced with new b&w parts over the years including grills.

topspeed
02-02-2004, 12:35 PM
My first speakers I "borrowed" from my dad when I left for college. Big Wharfdale 3 ways with 12" woofers and a soft dome tweeter. Solid wood cabinetry and heavier than a floor safe. Powered them with a Marantz 2230.

Two years later I bought my first pair with my own money. Mission 780A Argonauts (dual 8" woofers, soft dome semi-horn loaded tweeter) driven by a B&K ST140/PS Audio 4.6 amp/pre combo that sounded so smooooth! Still have the Missions in my bedroom but now being driven by the good ol' Marantz 2230. No bad for a 30+ year old receiver!

Worf101
02-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Mostly on here. I've had Paradigm reference 100's, now I have Monitor Audio Reference 60's....I wonder if I should try a pair of Klipsch..?

I don't use Klipsch as main's or surrounds in any of my systems anymore. I do use the Klipsch C7 as my center in my main HT system. I've set up 3 systems for friends and ex's with Klipsch's as rears. The KG series are not hornload and make excellent mains for small systems and rear surrounds for any system. Good, solid, inexpensive speakers that can be had cheap on ebay.

Da Worfster

Keith C
02-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Bought them new in 1977 as a 19 year old kid. I thought they were a lot of fun until my brother brought home a pair of Snell-E2's a few years later. He did his homework and shopped around and bought the sound HE liked. Made me feel bad getting showed up by my little brother and all. His system embarresd mine. (No they were not perfect but I adored the sound) Then I then saw there was more to music than shaking the floor. I loved those Snell's. Well the Mach 1's finally blew in 2001, along with the STA 2000 that powered them. It was a long slow death. Moved on to Meadowlark Audio....Much, much better.... But I still want more....

Nice topic

Cheers!
Keith C.

happy ears
02-02-2004, 08:32 PM
First speakers I bought where a used pair of EPI 201A's for $300.00 Canadian. The EPI 201A came with a pair of 8" woofers in an acoustic suspension alignment and with a pair of 1" polycarbonate tweeters. At first I had a cheap Radio Shack reciever with about 50 watts of power with a built in loudness control that could not be defeated. After a week I bought a Sansui AU-7900 integrated amplifier.

With the Radio Shack reciever the bass was excessive, bloated and muddy all because it came with loudness control that could not be turned off. Once I hooked up the Sansui it was a world of difference, powerfull, clear, accurate and just a very pleasing sound.

The EPI 201A lived all there life in the basement so after 22 years the woofer surround rotted away. Although I could have had the foam replaced locally it was going to cost more than I paid for the speakers, could not accept that it was going to cost more to fix than I paid.

The Sansui lasted 25 years but after two big AC line spikes it died. The first time toasted all the output transitors and I have had it much louder for longer periods and it did not fail. Second time I just threw it out as i figured with it's age other parts where showing there age. My son was watching TV and it has never been as clear since then, also have replaced it. The best laugh I got is when I called the Hydro company, they informed me that I caused the spike and I am responsible for all damage to electronic equipment. As well if it came from there end it did not matter as they are not responsible for power problems.

Now you why the Power company in Ohio did nothing when they knew that there where problems. Well actually they did do something they pointed their fingers at other people. What did that blackout cost in eastern North America, I would guess over 20 billion US and I mean a guess.

kfalls
02-03-2004, 05:19 AM
Worf101, you are mistaken about the KG series not having horns. Almost every one of the KG series has a horn tweeter, from either the Dhorm and 60x40 degree horns in the earlier KG1s, 2s, 4s, to the later ".2" KG series which had the 60x90 degree horns. Horns aren't necessarily the the "kiss of death" I've had my KG4s for close to 25 years and wouldn't trade them for anything. They're not the best speakers I have, but do provide a glimpse of sonic Nirvana and are very musical.

JSE
02-03-2004, 08:47 AM
My 15 inches gives her a headache,...))

Uh, Suuuuure?

Hell, my wife would be afraid of that!

LOL :D

Woochifer
02-03-2004, 11:58 AM
I grew up with a pair of JBL L65s, which had the vintage JBL "west coast" sound, but also incorporated a lot of very interesting features. It used a pure walnut cabinet with a glass insert at the top, which made the thing look more like fine furniture. It was a three-way speaker with alnico magnets in the mid driver and woofer with adjustable levels on each driver, and the tweeter used a plexiglas prism, which I'd never seen before or since. The things are now sitting in my parents' garage with rotted out foam surrounds. JBL can do a factory restoration of those models for $300, but I'm not sure if that vintage JBL sound is worth it to me.

The first speakers I actually bought were the Boston Acoustics A40s, which cost $150 a pair in the mid-80s. Those acoustic suspension speakers took their cue from the other classic "New England" designs of the time like AR and Advent, but made the sound livelier while retaining the refinement and tonal balance. Perfect speakers for dorm and apartment living, so perfect in fact that I kept them as my everyday speakers for about 14 years, and still have them setup in the spare bedroom. I always liked the sound of the Boston A series speakers, and thought they really lost their way when they abandoned the acoustic suspension design, and started cranking out ported speakers. Their first efforts with metal tweeters also pretty awful, but they seem to have somewhat regained their footing more recently.

Jimmy C
02-03-2004, 03:44 PM
...the only problem with the A40s (AFAIC) is that it is the only speaker in the old "A" line NOT using the SEAS soft-dome. I will admit - I have not heard the 40 in many years. I bought them for my sister back in the mid eighties, and she still has them in her basement. I can remember trying to ween her off the gigantic boxed speakers of that era's "rack" systems... right - like she ever cared. I WILL dig them up, however.

Aw, well... it was a nice X-mas present at one time!

P.S. I feel the new Boston stuff is competitive with low-level Paradigm, B&W, Energy, Def Tech, blah, blah....

headknocker
02-04-2004, 07:07 AM
The first pair of speakers that I owned were the big three-ways which were included with my Fisher rack system in the mid-80's. I thought they sounded pretty good at the time.

My first '"real" pair of speakers were the dbx Soundfield 3x2 sub/sat system which I purchased from the DAK catalog for around $225 in '91(?). They immediately blew me away and several of my friends and relatives couldn't believe the big(but detailed and very smooth) sound coming from such small and inexpensive package. I still have them(and love 'em) but they've been relegated to rear surround duty...still working like a champ although I DID have to replace one of the 6" woofers in the sub enclosure. If I had known how easy it would be to find used pairs of these speakers on ebay(when I was setting up my HT speaker rig in '99...I went with Aura's for the front stage) then I probably would've went that route. I still think they sound great and are kinda overkill for rear surround duty. That being said, I recently picked up the Pioneer DV-563A universal disc player and I'm happy that I already had an excellent pair of speakers in the rear.

Debbi
02-04-2004, 03:12 PM
...walnut veneer with green cloth caged tweeters...about 24 inches high...the foam surround rotted out and they sat in the garage...gave them to a friend 10 years ago and they rebuilt the drivers...Very good speakers then...those closed box suspension speakers sounded great then, but unacceptable now as very localized sound and 6 ohms as I recall and inefficient...Henry Kloss, the designer was a genius for about 10 years which is an eternity these days with electronics so thats a compliment.

sldg
02-07-2004, 04:25 PM
My first speakers were EPI 100's
Passed them on to my brother as a wedding gift along with a Sherwood reciever and Philips 212 turntable.
Moved on to Heil AMT 4's
Currently listening to Magnapans

Rhino
02-08-2004, 05:56 AM
JBL L-50s, circa 1978. And I still own them. They've been re-coned and are part of my bedroom system. Still sound good 25 yrs later and although I've owned many different speakers since then, I'm emotionally attached to the JBLs. Too bad JBL doesn't make speakers of that quality anymore...

Sealed
02-08-2004, 06:18 AM
My first speakers...

Cerwin-Vega PD-15X's. These were essentially disco speakers.

15" woofer
Horn midrange
Compression tweeter
Vented enclosure, about 103db/1w/1m

Talk about LOUD! these things were meant for a large disco room. They had that boomy bass and well, could get really, really LOUD.

They were definately NOT hifi, but they were resonably clear and could handle whatever music, albiet with NO finesse at all.

Did I mention they were LOUD? :rolleyes:

This Guy
02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Alright my first stereo was a Casio Boom Box type of system that looked like it had a 5" woofer and a 1" tweeter, haha but the tweeter was there just for show. Then i got a pair of DIY speakers from my dad that he made about 20 years ago. Not bad actually, 6 1/2" woofer and Piezo tweeter, highs were a little harsh, but these got pretty loud. I'm still using them as my surrounds and aren't moving any time soon. First speakers I bought with my own money were Jensen C-7's, I modified them buy putting in a titanium bullet tweeter and sound pretty nice. I'm trying to sell these for my next DIY project.

-Joey

jackz4000
02-08-2004, 03:27 PM
It was 1970 and I was 19 and the new audio buyer for a small chain of audio boutiques. I guess I was doing a pretty good job 'cuz one day my boss tells me to take my pick of any equipment I might want for my own system. I thought he meant to borrow at first, but it was a reward to keep. I tried not to be too greedy, but....couldn't help myself. I went with all Marantz components, 200 rms power amp, preamp and tuner, Revox 15" reel to reel tape deck, Garrard turntable and a big pretty pair of the Pioneer Cs-63dx speakers, 15" woofer 4-way. The wood cabinets and grilles are seldom seen like that anymore. They rocked. My friends wanted to kill me with their envy. It was a very nice bonus.

vivisimonvi
02-09-2004, 02:43 AM
I was about 12 when I got my first GE ministereo CD player in 94, I thought it sounded pretty good at the time. A friend of mine that year gave me a set of big Magnavox speakers that blew me away (hardly anything 'audiophile' grade, he got them for 10 bucks at a fair). They could only handle 15 watts, but they sounded REALLY good with my dad's 70's Sansui 25 watt QRX-5500 receiver. The way the reciever made the woofers move in and out were incredible (they seem to push out a lot of air, and was very good with bass). I ended up tearing off the cloth grill it rattled so much. They were crap when I drove them with my 120 watt Pioneer A88x amp, it sounded loud but the woofer cones didn't move much, and there was little bass. They sounded really sweet with the Sansui.

I regret giving up the Sansui receiver as I now have a set of CV E715's (I've always wanted to own a set of these since I was little). I'm curious to see how different it would sound with this receiver, as the CV's are highly efficient. I drive them with the pioneer amp and am a bit unsatisfied with the way they sound.

About the Magnavox, I'm not sure what model they were but came with it's own receiver. The design was somewhat unique as it didn't look like a typical "box." The front part was split, so each side faces in two different directions, instead of just fowards. This was good for imaging. I really miss those speakers...

Ex Lion Tamer
02-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Typical 1970s era Cerwin Vegas were part of my first stereo system when I was about 12 or 13. The first speakers that I actually invested meaningful audition time before plunking down my hard-earned cake were a pair of Spica TC50s. Loved those speakers. My sister inherited them, and a few months ago I re-inserted them in my system to remind me of what was...some of the magic was still there, but they did sound rather veiled and closed in on top, in comparison to my then Epos M15s. But that midrange was still magical, and that world class imaging was still there in abundance.

Mark

swampcat
05-14-2004, 08:18 AM
This is a great topic, my first speakers were a pair of sansui S-57's( Technics rec.) , They were junk but I didnt know it, at 16 years old. Like with the Mach ones, I had the best stereo in the neighborhood. Had these for 2 years and bought cerwin vega's ,Then bought a larger set of cerwin vega's(HK int amp), then a pair of Design aucoustics point source 10. I now have a pair Klipsch legands and klipsch SF-3's(Adcom amps.). This topic is great because I feel it can bring us all back to earth, and better understand Threads about low end equiptment. Lets help them improve their systems without telling them to buy a Krell. People on this forum are quite knowlegable, they really know their stuff, but its a little much for a guy trying to upgrade from technics or the like.

veganaudio
05-14-2004, 10:35 AM
My first speakers were this small acoustic suspension all heavy metal Technics SB-F2 on tripods

they sound awesome!!

this was in Lima Peru

Weister42
05-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Yeah laugh all you want, but it was the first pair of speakers I OWNED. Back in 8th grade I got a pair of these 8" subs by trading an issue of Playboy and a dollar, he gave me the speakers and I made a box out of a fish tank, subs inverted so it works sorta like a bandpass box, then hooked up to a home-made 10watt/channel amp. I also got my first computer at the time and surprisingly the monitor has a built-in amp(7watt/channel!), so I went out and bought an active subwoofer crossover(for car, but I had a 12v power supply) and used my computer speakers as mains and the fishtank box as my low end. It got pretty loud, pissed off my sister so goal accomplished!

Pat D
05-14-2004, 11:41 AM

my first pair of speakers i bought for myself i saved up $450 and purchased a pair of Realistic Mach 1's. they were driven by a pioneer intergrated amp with 100 WPC. I was 16 at the time and all my friends were envious of me. i was the only one in my circle of friends to own a pair of speakers with monster thumping woofers. Those speakers lasted all the way into the early 90's. those were fun speakers they were not audiophile speakers
but they had a ton of fun factor built into them.

my system is ten times better than what i had as a child, but the fun factor isnt as great.
you know what everyone says radio shack speakers were junk but if you look at the reviews on them on here they are highly rated the only problem with them was foam rot out.
http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/Realistic+Mach+One/PRD_120510_1594crx.aspx#reviews
My first serious system used Kef 104 speakers, large 2-way bookshelf types with an oval passive radiator. The .75 inch tweeter was crossed over at 3000 Hz, which is really too high for the very clean 8 inch woofer, as the off axis dispersion between about 1000 Hz and 2500 Hz was down, but it was quite good on axis. It was a listening window speaker and with proper placement could sound very, very good. Something blew in one of the crossovers and I later had the 104aB crossover installed, so they became Kef 104aB speakers. The last I knew, they were still in use.

My first system actually was a Grundig receiver, turntable and speakers. Fortunately, the turntable had a little Grado cartridge, with though cheap was an astonishing performer, tracking about as well as the top-line Shure V-15. This no doubt saved the records I bought then! The little ported speakers actually had a woofer and tweeter, and could be made to sound pleasant.

nusiclover
05-14-2004, 04:58 PM
i actually fell for the "off the back of a van" trick when i was a teenager. i think they were called acoustic research or something. these punks had the whole case worked out: they were delivery guys that got overstocked and were trying to make a quick buck, bs, bs, bs. they had big 10 inch woofers and were covered in carpet. i dont think they ever made it out of the box because my dad quickly reminded me that i was scammed. come to think of it, they still might be in a family members garage somewhere "audiogon anyone?"....i grew up on my dads bose system and i can clearly remember being stuck on listening sessions as young as 10. my first real purchase was about ten years later, with B&W 601. i guess i finally learned my lesson. oh, and i dont know if this counts, but i did have kicker speakers installed in my car when i was 16.

240RMS
05-14-2004, 07:02 PM
A pair a Technics SB-LX90's (15" woofers, 4"mid, 2.x"tweeters) was the first set of speakers I actually purchased seperatel, from an overstocked warehouse sale. I was 13 years old and worked on convincing my dad for weeks so that he would actually drive me there, initially bought them to run from my panasonic scch80 mini system. These speakers are rated at 200 watts max, and the mini system just didn't push them (I think it actually only puts out 37 watts max), what was I thinking, Young and dumb. Since then I purchased a sansui 9090 receiver, and now I actually have more than enough power to drive them, I am very happy I actually purchased them.

RGA
05-14-2004, 08:03 PM
My start was with a 70's Fisher system- but the folks gave me the stereo and it was pretty lousy. I bought Hitachi speakers and Acoustech Labs speakers but neither were serious more impulse from a kid.

The first speaker I bought was in 1992 - the Wharfedale Vangaurds which I still own. The speaker was Wharfedales flagship and built as a rocker - indeed some DJ's re-inforced the cabinetry and when hired out used these speakers to fill some large rooms. With a horn tweeter they managed to sound less spitty and grating than the comparable Klipsh models of the time. With a high and mid driver contour control - the idea was to shift the sound for less friendly rooms. The controls are very subtle however to the point they're unnecessary. The bass and treble are more prominant than some but you get a full bodied sound. More of a rocker than finnesse but because the treble never sounds harsh it is way more liveable than a lot of slim line multi-driver array speakers. That is why I had so much trouble upgrading...why trade for a bit of fineesse if you lose bags of scale?

RGA
05-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Continued: But now it's Audio Note AN K in the main listening rig and the Wharfedale's to start a H/T.

AudioAlleyCat
05-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Dalquist M 905 were my first set of speakers.

NickWH
05-15-2004, 09:34 AM
1991, Allison Acoustics AL-100 for $150/pair. They were driven by a Kenwood 100wpc receiver. Not bad...I eventually did the whole Allison surround sound thing (added a pair of AL-105's and an Allison center channel, and a Yamaha sub) until I went back to 2-channel almost two years ago. Gave them away to a friend who still uses them.

agribas
05-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I got my first set of speakers way back in 6th grade, but I didn't "buy" them, they were a "curbside" purchase. They were these hulking huge 2-ways from the 1960s, complete with a built-in turntable and a putrid blonde oak finish with cylindrical brass legs. One was longer than the other an housed the turntable and the amp, which I ended up disconnecting and instead used my Sherwood receiver that I got from one of my Dad's friends. I remember I had to watch the volume or I'd start vibrating the cheap, unsealed back panels. Finally, a few years later I cut enough lawns to buy a pair of Cerwin Vega RE-38s, which were still huge and weighed a ton, with their 15" woofers, but were nice and loud. Still have the Vegas in the basement.

kode3
05-17-2004, 04:15 AM
Infinity Reference 2000.3's great little bookshelf speakers. $150 a piece I think...

jasmit
05-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Circa 1969: A pair of AR-2ax bookshelf speakers in oiled walnut powered by a Dynaco Stereo 120 amplifier hitched to a Dynaco PAT-4 preamplifier and a Dynaco Stereo FM-5 tuner. I built all of the Dynaco hardware from kits even though I didn't know squat about electrical wiring. Back then nobody worried too much about speaker placement; we just put 'em on a shelf on brackets on a wall about three or four feet up and about five or six feet apart and that was that.

slbenz
05-18-2004, 05:53 AM
My first pair of speakers were also a set of JVC three-ways, can't remember which model. Didn't have much air to them so I added a super tweeter from Radio Shack at the time. Through the years went through AR, DCM, Klipsch, Cambridge Soundworks, Celestion, B&W and my current speakers are Eminent Technology and Martin Logans.

LarryCow
05-18-2004, 10:20 AM
bought in 1974, powered by a Marantz 1060 amp. Typical [at that time] 12'', 3 way sealed enclosure, excellent for not much $ at that time, but nothing compared what's available, even for less equivalent $ these days - the state of mid-fi is much improved. They did last for about 25 years, though, and provided a lot of enjoyment and memories...

Roger
05-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I got them from the Army PX in Seoul, Korea, when I was stationed there in 84-85. It was kind of a G.I. rite of passage: get yourself a humongous stereo rig. I think I paid ~$400/pr. (great deals on hi-fi gear were one of the perks of overseas service. I also got a Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck for about half the retail price at the time.)

Technically, I guess my first proper speakers were a pair of Klipsch's. The model escapes me now. Two-ways with a horn tweeter and unfinished beech plywood cabinets. I tried them for about two weeks, then heard a buddy's 4312s and traded the Klipschs in.

I kept 'em until last year when WAF finally took its toll. Actually, I'm glad it did. I had no idea how much better 5.1 could sound. Good as those monsters were (accurate, crisp highs, tight bass), it's been really satisfying to re-educate my ears. And the funny thing is, I sold them on eBay for more than I paid for them. Same with the Carver M500t power amp I had driving them.

I might hold on to my Denon/CSW setup for at least as long, but I definitely don't expect that kind of return when it's time to upgrade.

Great thread.

bobhaze
05-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Dynaco A-25's, when I was about 16 or 17. Drove them with a Heathkit AA-29 amp I built. A little soft on the top end, but superbly tight bass and great balance with excellent neutrality. I wish I had held on to them for secondary use. You can't get sound like that for $79 in real veneer cabinets anymore!

Mark of Cenla
05-26-2004, 06:38 AM
After building many poor home-made speakers, I bought a pair of Electrovoice two-ways with 8" woofers and cone tweeters. These were powered by a Kenwood KA-3500 (40watts/ch.). I later compared the speakers to Boston Acoustics A40's. The Bostons were only a little better. Peace.

sahd1972
05-27-2004, 06:24 PM
A pair of Boston Acoustics A-40's bookshelf. Matched with Technics intergrated and Sony 1-bit cd player and TEAC cassette back in the mid 80's. I remember setting the system up and calling my mom into the room to listen I hit play on Ozzy's Bark at the Moon cd and nothing came out. I turned the volume up but nothing. Then I noticed the input selector was not on CD so I turned it to it. . .but . . I had forgotten ot turn the volume back down it was at like 8 out 10. Scared the crap out of my mother and all I could say was cool. Speakers survived for 12 more years before the bass surround died.

millwright008
05-28-2004, 06:47 PM
...about 12 when I bought a pair of Lafayette Criterions... similar to the Mach Ones you mention.

Six months later I had a small pair of Pioneer HPMs. Slightly better.

By age 14 (1980...yikes!), I found "high end" audio stores, and bought the Boston Acoustics A70s. I can remember lusting after the Alisons and Snells, but the "bang for the buck" was firmly planted in that Boston lineup.

Lafayette Radio - i haven't heard this name in years.i wish i would have bought their supply of tubes!
bottom line save your money young man.

stevos2005
05-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Back when I was in high school, and completely naive about good stereo, save for wanting better than a boom box, I bought very budget Radio Shack Optimus brand speakers and one of their first Pro Logic receivers.

As I went through college I slowly upgraded through 2 different Yamaha receivers and better Polk speakers, and now I'm finally moving to B&W speakers with Rotel gear.

elances
05-30-2004, 01:53 AM
The first speakers I ever owned were a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's. I used my enlistment bonus of $5000 from the Navy to purchase them and the rest of my stereo system at the time. $1300 for the Vandersteens, the rest spent on NAD equipment and MIT cables, and some Stax "earspeakers." I had my brother sell the Vandersteens when I moved to another state back in '96, and I purchased some KEF Q15's to get me by until I could afford something better. I'm still using the KEFs, although I added a subwoofer and other HT equipment to the rest of my old line-up.

I loved the Vandersteens, but KEF was always my favorite, ever since I first heard the R107 and R104. I also loved the Apogee Diva (long gone, alas!), but they and the required amplification were way out of my league financially!

Regards,
Erick

hifitommy
05-30-2004, 07:22 AM
i was sold them by a very insightful sales guy at pacific stereo. i wanted the ar4s in my mind and hadnt heard of dynaco.

about to make the purchase, i told him i wanted the ARs so he put on the nillsson schmillsson cut 'jump into the fire'. first he played the ar4s, and i liked it. then the a25s clearly defined the difference between the simultaneously playing bass guitar and kick drum whereas the ar did not.

i went home with dynas, a sony 40wpc receiver, dual 1215 tt/shure m91ed system. later, i went to a sherwood s8900a 60wpc receiver for more power and them bought a second pair of a25s to go with my dynaquad box.

then i put a pair of EV spks in the rear and stacked the a25s in paralell in front and WOW. the bass could then be compared to quads in quality and similarity of extension in the bass (that is not very deep but very tight and defined). it required significant LF cut with my metrotec 5 band eq to not be overpowering in bass level.

the impact available was made obvious while playing the sheffield labs harry james DTDs. i added a philips 1" dome above 10k and the things opened up and became airy.

i wish i still had them, but the same can be said of my rogers LS3/5As!

Feanor
05-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Dynaco A-25's, when I was about 16 or 17. Drove them with a Heathkit AA-29 amp I built. A little soft on the top end, but superbly tight bass and great balance with excellent neutrality. I wish I had held on to them for secondary use. You can't get sound like that for $79 in real veneer cabinets anymore!
They were my first speakers too. I had them only couple of years, though.

I traded mine for AR7's. The AR's offer significantly better detail and, as I recall -- both speakers are gone these many years -- a bit better tonal balance. For sure though, the AR's didn't have as deep bass.

chancethegardener
06-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Mine were home made using Realistic 8" full range drivers in bass reflex cabinets from a project design in a magazine called "Electronics Australia". Kept them from age 16 to 23 (powered by a kit amp called Heathkit, from England).

Then I bought KEF 104ab's and a Sansui AU 417 (in 1981). I had the best student system in the whole city! (Canberra, Australia). Still have all that today as my main system. It does me fine. It's old and out-of-date, but still sounds great.

Cheers
Tony
PS: Thanks for the initial question. You have started a huge conversation piece here!

fsiebold
06-02-2004, 04:10 PM
My first set were a pair of Sansui 3500 speakers. I bought them in the PX in 1973 while in the service because the sounded very good and the discount price was too good to pass up, $135 each.

They were the best sounding Japanese speaker around for an affordable price. Didn't sound quite as clear as the Large Advent, but much stronger on rock and roll music.

Enjoyed them for several years until selling them because I was going overseas.

After I came back home, it took several years of listening to my homemade DIY speakers before I had enough money to buy a set of Sonab OA2212 speakers, but I still wouldn't mind having the old Sansui's for the den/pool room.

Frank

JeffBrecklin
06-03-2004, 06:16 AM
my first pair of speakers were trio kenwood 100 watt a peice the model number was LSK--400D run by a cheap but mint sears LXI reciever with a sony 5 disc cd changer and a technics turntable with a 200 doller needle on it i also have a pair of near mint smaller advents my dad has JBL--L--112 300 watts a peice run by a 300 watt reciever talk about power it is going to my soon to be stereo once he gets it cleaned up im only 14 remember

EAH
06-03-2004, 01:36 PM
well, panasonic 3 IN 1 7.5 w/ch and
the speakers were single drive 8", that was it.
Have had many many, many, sistems since then.
And right now not with the best

EDUARDO AH.

datarush
06-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Don't remember the model. I got them in 1975 along with a BIC turntable. BIC America was a hot retail brand back then. They wound up on various corner shelfs or on the wall to get them out of the way which no doubt knocked the hell out of their fidelity and lower bass. I do remember replacing the 10" drivers about a year or two before I sold them to an immigrant. Now that I'm older and smarter I realize placement is at least as important as the speaker itself, but putting them way up there did solve some space problems.

Boy Lover
06-11-2004, 04:45 PM
My first speakers I owned are the JBL HLS410 I got it 5 years agao and I still have them. My second ones are the JBL S26 I got that 2 years agao. :)

jrflanne
07-23-2004, 03:32 PM
But I blew them when I hooked a baas guitar up to the receiver. I wasn't a very smart kid. But then I got a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's and was in audio heaven.

hifitommy
07-23-2004, 04:50 PM
after hearing them properly set up, i nagged my dealer friend int carrying them. he was not sorry. i also nagged him into carrying tonearms and separate TTs. once more, not sorry.

i had a modified pair in the house and drove them with a hafler 500. never had i heard deep bass from the 10s until then. i was never a fan of their sub though.

kingdaddykeith
07-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Neat idea for a thread, I’ll chime in, though the brands I’m going to mention will not show up on most peoples radar.

North American Sound Studio monitors ($1000)
Amber 40 integrated amp 60w per ch ($450)
Kenwood K(XX)-650 Turntable with a AQ 404 MC cartridge ($850)

The speakers were custom made by a local (Dallas) hi end audio company that is now defunct. Gave the speakers to my brother years ago and started building my own, have never bought another pair of consumer speakers. Took over a year to get this system off lay-away.

lattybuck
07-28-2004, 06:30 PM
I agree, a nice thread. Almost a history lesson here.
When I was almost 15 I spent the summer managing a fast food place at night in Dallas, Texas. Worked all summer to buy my first real stereo and a mortorcycle.
1- Pioneer Quad reciever (It had the "too cooool" oscilloscope on the left side with 4 volume buttons for balance)
2 - 4 advent 3-way speakers with the 12" woofers on em.
3 - A Used Nakamichi Cassett deck
4 - Pioneer turntable with the fancy new needle cartridge system in it.
5 - Honda SL100 dirt bike
At the end of the summer I collected my new toys from various layaways and went home to Oklahoma. My bedroom was on the second floor in my parents house which was directly on lake keystone in Oklahoma. I had a small porch that overlooked the lake attatched to my bedroom where the speakers seemed to migrate to a lot. I almost lost it all the first week due to the lake patrol calling my parents and saying they could hear Ted Nugent, BTO and Black Sabath (big stuff in the mid 70's) across the lake from us and didn't appreciate it. LOL
I had kind of forgotten that till now.
Take care all

kfalls
07-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Do you remember what model Advent speakers? I don't think I've ever seen/heard of a 3-way Advent. Just curious. I had a pair of the large 2-ways with the rounded corners. Loved them, but they fell prey to surround rot.

drseid
07-29-2004, 04:56 AM
This is somewhat embarrasing, but my first set of speakers (apart from a couple boomboxes when I was a kid) was a set of BOSE AM-3s that I bought while in college after buying into the marketing hype. These are the ones with one little cube for each channel, and the "bass module."

Needless to say, after about 3 months of ownership, I realized that the cubes were hardly satisfactory... I sold them for about the full price I paid (I guess they are good for holding their value), and bought my first real 5.1 speaker system, the ProCinema 100.6 from Definitive Technologies... I haven't looked back.

I now own some very nice speakers from Legacy Audio, ACI and Tyler Acoustics, but I can look back on the Definitives with a nice feeling of nostalgia... I can't say as much for the BOSE, however. :-(

---Dave

kfalls
07-29-2004, 05:12 AM
Which Legacys do you own? I have the Focus mains and Silver Screen center in Ribbon Mahogany. I use a pair of German T&A P-30 for surrounds, but would love to have the MiST surrounds, but they're a bit pricey. The low-end on the Focus is incredible, great power and weight, no boom, a speaker which provide both quality and quantity. The Def Techsare also good speakers, but really not in the same league as the Legacys. Enjoy!

drseid
07-29-2004, 05:22 AM
Which Legacys do you own? I have the Focus mains and Silver Screen center in Ribbon Mahogany. I use a pair of German T&A P-30 for surrounds, but would love to have the MiST surrounds, but they're a bit pricey. The low-end on the Focus is incredible, great power and weight, no boom, a speaker which provide both quality and quantity. The Def Techsare also good speakers, but really not in the same league as the Legacys. Enjoy!

I have 5 of the Studios (although I am only using 3 for the rear channels in my HT/multichannel music system right now, using Tyler Acoustics Taylos for the front 3, and an ACI Titan II for the sub). The 5 Studios were my next purchase after the Def. Techs, and they, like the Def. Techs over the Bose were a *big* step up, even more so once I found the ACI sub to pair with them, after several poor attempts with others.

I have heard the Focus, and I agree it has a tremendous low-end extention and a great overall sound too. They would be way too much for my medium sized room, but if I ever move my system to bigger quarters, they would be high on my list for consideration in a 2 channel system.

Enjoy,

---Dave

lattybuck
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
That was a long time ago, mid 70's, when I baught that first system. I remember buying the 3-way advents with the "wazooo" bass reflex 12 woofer from a new electronics place at the time, Service Merchandice. They were pretty efficient and played very very loud is about all I remember about em. Sorry, the model # has dissapeared into the haze of the past for me. I eventually blew all 4 of the advents up in colledge I remember. So I traded the poineer plus cash in on an NAD reciever, 2 AR studio monitors with stands and 2 almost new Magnaplaner's. Still have the NAD and the AR's. 20 years old they still sound pretty good in my bedroom.
Take care

08-03-2004, 11:42 AM
That I ever owned...

Altec Lansing Computer speakers with subwoofer (that doesnt go to sub freq) - Active

RobotCzar
08-04-2004, 05:25 PM
They were my first speakers too. I had them only couple of years, though.

I traded mine for AR7's. The AR's offer significantly better detail and, as I recall -- both speakers are gone these many years -- a bit better tonal balance. For sure though, the AR's didn't have as deep bass.

What were AR7s? I don't remember. My first speakers were AR4x which I thought of as baby AR3a. They weren't, I loved 'em but they were deficient top and bottom. I lusted after AR6 which came out a couple of years after I bought the 4x.

I then moved on to Large Advents, which I viewed as another attemp to duplicate AR3as at a lower cost. I worked in a stereo store and had plenty of time to A/B the Advents and the AR3as. The ARs did have an advantage in the lower midrange (or upper bass), probably due to their 3-way design vs. the 2-way Advents.

Last question: are most of us that old?

RobotCzar
08-04-2004, 05:28 PM
So I traded the poineer plus cash in on an NAD reciever, 2 AR studio monitors with stands and 2 almost new Magnaplaner's. Still have the NAD and the AR's. 20 years old they still sound pretty good in my bedroom.
Take care

What are AR "studio monitors"?

Peter Duminy
08-05-2004, 06:40 PM
A pair of Wharfedale Lintons finished in oiled Teak. But my real lust was for a pair of Tannoy Lancasters with the 12" Dual Concentric drivers.

lattybuck
08-19-2004, 09:22 AM
To Robotczar

I had to look at the back of my old AR's to see the model number. Been a while since I even moved em. They are Model 780/2 sitting on 30" stands. 20 years old and still going strong though. Along with the pans they are one of the better buys I think I ever made sound wise. Just a litttle bright at top and a little heavy on bass but very smooth in the middle. Perfect match with the pans at the time which were just a little light at the very top and bottom. I used them as back speakers and the maggies in front.

RorySwann
08-22-2004, 03:49 PM
My first speakers were the Mordaunt Short 902's so as you can gues, im quite new to all this, only 15 years old at the moment. A few months after i bought these, i bought a pair of Mordaunt Short 908's for the fronts in my home cinema system. Both beautiful sounding speakers, though the 908's do have a little too much bass, it can be over-powering, i would not go as far to say they were "boomy" though as many people have said.

minye
02-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Bose Acoustimass 5 double cubes. Good sound for its size. Then I realized they are not audiophile's choice. As I moved and got a bigger living room, I changed to Klipsch floor standing speaker, upgraded my 1601 to Denon 3802 receiver. I got much better sound from the whole HT system. For musicm it is not too bad as well.

Buzz Roll
02-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Boston Acoustics A70 MkII.

shokhead
02-27-2005, 05:28 AM
A pair of Royals from Zodys.

Geoffcin
02-27-2005, 05:32 AM
KLH 6s I think that was the model #

I still have a pair of these!

thepogue
02-27-2005, 08:17 AM
first we're from a all in one record player w/detachable speakers that I would lay over my head and listen to hours of Stepppenwolf, the Who, Blood Sweat n Tears...
then fisher rack system...(big time junk)
then Bose 501's
then Altec Lancing (PA type with 6 - 6" driver and horn)
then a set of AR (bookshelves) sweet sounding
then baby Advents
then Paradigm titans
then Paradigm Mon. 9's
then Paradigm Ref. 40's v.2
then Paradigm Ref. 100's v.2
then nOrh 3.0's
Then nOrh 4.0 (center)
then JBL L5's
then Klipsch Chours II's (great/fun speakers w/tubes)
Protron book shelves

in the crystral ball....

Maggies

ML Prodigies...woohoo

Legacy's Whispers

ahhh...the fun never ends

Peace, Pogue

in the furture

SpankingVanillaice
02-27-2005, 09:20 AM
My first pair of speakers was the JBL HLS410 and I got them 7 years agao. I am 20 years old now so I was 13 years old when I got them and they sounded great for my first pair. My dad got them at Best Buy. Even now I still think they sound very clear and percise. :cool:

mona979
02-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Well the first pair was a Sears combo, that I can't even remember the name, but it was one of those all attached with glass door on the bottom.

But the first real ones that I saved 8 months for, was a pair of Technics with 12" woofers, I had all the bass in the world, and when my mom was not home, I would open my front door as a child and crank it as loud as I could. Also it was driven by a Sherwood 100pc Receiver.

Currently I am happy with my B & W's, diven by a great hafler amp and preamp.

jt1stcav
02-27-2005, 04:28 PM
My very first pair of speakers was when I was 12 back in ' 74. It was part of the complete combo set from Precor, their Model 1018 AM/FM stereo receiver with built-in BSR record changer and dual 4" fullrange speaker enclosures! Hot damn, it was the best system a kid could ever want! I later purchased a top loading cassette deck from RadioShack to complete the package. The Precor sounded like crap, but it was better than anything my friends had! :D

A year or two later I saved up all my paper route money and finally bought a real stereo system...a Technics SA-5170 stereo AM/FM receiver with 25 WPC, a Technics 616 cassette deck with Metal EQ and Dolby, a Technics SL-210 belt drive manual 'table with an audio-technica MM cartridge, and for speakers...Audiotek 2-way bookshelf speakers with 2" cone tweeters and 6" paper woofers (damn, I don't know what sounded worse, these Audioteks or the Precors)!

When I joined the Army, it took me 3 more years until I finally purchased a real audio system (Carver, Nakamichi, and Denon) and bought a pair of ' 83 JBL L112 Century II 3-way monitors...you could hear these babies throughout the entire 3rd floor of the barracks! :cool:

malibushirl
02-28-2005, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=jamison]I have an interesting question, what was the first pair of speakers you owned? how long did they last and did you like them.

Fun post, took me back to when I was 14 and had saved my baby sitting money to purchase a stereo system. I'm embarrased to admitt this now but I had went to the local Kmart and purchased a Receiver that bundleed a speaker package, I purchased a separate turntable and cartridge(CD's did not yet exist). The receiver name was Silver Marshall, not sure who made these components back then but I remeber the speakers were huge and they really cranked the bass.

Trust me, at 14 most of my other gal friends still had close N plays or those old rack systems that were polular late 70's early 80's.

jwh917
03-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Criterion bookshelve's...they were fantastic.

risabet
03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
I had a little pr. of KEF 8" 2-ways whose model number I can't remember. These were the first speaker I had that had any soundstage to speak of though the bottom end was non-existent.

CerwinVega
03-09-2005, 03:57 PM
My first of speakers were fisher price when I was a child. My first pair of "real" speakers were Lyric 3 way with 12 inch woofers when I was 15. My first pair of "real" speakers with my own money saved were Pioneer 3 way 15's when I was 15 1/2.

20to20K
03-10-2005, 05:09 AM
My first pair of speakers were my dad's JBL Century L-100's. When I got them they were about 15 years old, the foam grills had disintergrated into nothing and a tweeter was bad.
I got the tweeter fixed, got some replacement grills from Rat Shack and I was in business.

Those JBL's had that classic full bass sound that were great for R&B, rock, and jazz fusion which is pretty much all I listened to back then.

When I moved out of the house I left the speakers behind (They're still there I believe...hmmmm) and I bought some Yamaha NS1000's to replace them. Those are technically the first speakers I ever paid for.

Seamus
03-10-2005, 06:48 PM
First "good" pair of speakers were AR 58bxi. I got them new in their boxes at an estate sale for $100.00 (they retailed for $800.00 at the time). An old guy died before he had a chance to set them up and enjoy them. :(
Luckily I enjoyed them enough for both of us. :p
Wish I could find a pair.

nzperdahci
03-11-2005, 05:07 AM
My first speakers were Infinity Reference 81 mk II, driven by Onkyo HT amp DS-501. I used them for more than two years, I would say that they were OK up until I heard KEFs. Now I have a pair of KEF Q 35.2, they sound a lot better.

ViVaCarlos
03-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Many of years ago..........

JBL 100's
Drove em" about 5 years......

Since then,,,,,,Bose 901's
1st set lasted 14 years,,,,, $400 trade up, to the Series VI

Add a top notch powered sub..........Awesome.......

"Always get your daily dose of Carlos"

Mark111867
03-13-2005, 12:56 PM
My first pair of speakers were Radio Shack Nova bookshelf speakers. I can't remember the model number. A year or so after that I bought a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 4A's. The Polks still serve me well today as a set of speakers in my bedroom set-up.

mr. budget
03-30-2005, 03:57 AM
My first set up was 2 10" 3-way kenwoods and 2 10" 3-way jvcs. These speakers were fun and the kenwoods would just shut off if you went too loud, reset, and play like new again. I had an amp that I got from a friend that I fixed and the part I fixed eventually died again. The speakers were sold because they had to be, I had no choice.

Kaboom
03-30-2005, 04:57 AM
ahhh...the fun never ends

in the furture

Its a shame that cash does...

Florian
03-30-2005, 05:13 AM
My very first speakers were a pair of Infinity RS3 bookshelf speakers. Good sound, at least i thought that back than :p

SAPSEC
04-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I had PSB set for approx 2 years - don't like it for sound is too "laid back". The sound comes as if from
behind TV or wall. Then I sold them half price on E-Bay. Now I have BW-602 and have been enjoying them for last 4 months ...

texlle
04-02-2005, 03:44 PM
My first set of speakers were in a Koss boombox from 1992.

My first actual separates were in an RCA 5-cdp/tuner stereo from 1996.

imhit
03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Technics SBG-500's

Loved them, they were powered with a Technics V-8 amp and were quite loud but delivered great sound. Lasted 6 yrs until I sold them due to family additions.

squeegy200
03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
My very first set of speakers was a set of JBL 2103B Studio monitors.

I really had to save up to purchase that pair and they lasted about 10 years before I lost a tweeter. Soon afterwards, the woofer surrounds crumbled.

It was several years before I was enthused enough to purchase a replacement.

JohnMichael
03-21-2006, 08:50 AM
My first pair of speakers were the Smaller Advents. The ads at the time stated they had the same bass as the Large Advents but not as efficient. A friend gave me his JVC receiver to power them and I had my Kenwood marble based turntable with Shure M91ED cartridge.

edlchiang62
03-21-2006, 08:57 AM
I am proud/ashamed to admit that I had a pair of Bose 301s as my first set of speakers.

shokhead
03-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Royals that i got at Zodys.

jamison
03-24-2006, 06:04 PM
WOW ! almost 2 years later and this post is still going way cool .. unfortunatly i have a lot of different hobbies now such as restoring a classic mustang.. doing landscpe design for a living. i dont have near the time to dedicate to listening as i used to..
I may downsize my system somewhat... I love SACD and DVD AUDIO but since they arent selling and i got burned on laserdiscs i dont think ill be buying into anymore new formats.. Im planning on doing away with a huge beefy adcom amp i have and just driving the speakers with a receiver again. the adcom amp is way overkill for effiecient Klipsch and brighter speakers coupled with a bright amp make for a fatiguing listening experience. any more im lucky to have more than a half hour to do music listening.. I watch movies occassionally but that goes in spurts

SlumpBuster
03-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Man, it takes a while to get through this whole thread. I'll through mine on the pile. I assume we're not talking about crap like Soundesign or JCPenney rack systems, because those served me through highschool.

Just before I left for college I was recouperating from a bilateral hernia surgery, and my brother and girlfriend snuck out my ATM card and got me a pair of Boston Acoustic HD8's and a Yamaha 2 channel (60w x2) to assist in the healing. I still use that system as a reference in that it is still in use and I compare anything new to it. It is going on 13 years and it still rocks. When I got my new Music Hall turntable last year, I first played it this system and not my main system.

teledynepost
03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
sony shelf system, but the first STEREO (non computer) speakers I bought just by themselves were definitive sm350's

wabuskey
03-24-2006, 08:28 PM
My first serious speakers were a pair of Genesis II, These had an 8" woofer with a 10" passive radiator and a 1" tweeter. I loved them. They were driven by a Marantz 2225 receiver with a Technics turntable. Purchased in 1976, the receiver and speakers were stolen in 1982. I replaced them with EPI 100 T/Es. I loved the East Coast sound speakers with the emphasis on a sweet high end, great mid range and very accurate.

emaidel
03-25-2006, 06:44 AM
As the previous post implies, the term "serious" speakers applies here. That would negate the University 12" woofer/midrange speakers and separate, "Mount-on-top-of-the-enclosure" University-made, Lafayette-branded tweeters; a pair of Lafayette 10" SK-180 "Tri-Helix" speakers (installed in the same Lafayette branded "Elliptoflex" enclosures, and infinitely better than the University combo); and a pair of Lafayette branded, "Criterion" 200-A 3-way bookshelf speakers. That was a fun progression, with definite sonic improvements at each increment, and at minimal cost to me, but my first "real" pair of speakers were KLH-6's, purchased in 1968. What a revelation they were then!

GMichael
03-25-2006, 07:55 AM
My first pair were a set of Pioneer project 100A's back in 1972.. They had soft dome mids that sounded so real to me. Only about $100 for the pair. Driven by an all in one, 25wpc, Panisonic receiver, turntable, 8-track recorder, that still works. The speakers were traded away for Genisis components to build my own set of towers. Those lasted until 2005. Er, actually, I still have the components. The partical board boxes disolved in the 6 inches of water that flooded our basement. I made new boxes.

thekid
03-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Bought a used pair of Pioneer Project 80's that I ran with a TEAC reciever,tape deck and turntable for about 20 years. The speakers are still in use today as an add on to a very makeshift HT in a spare room. They are a lttle muddy sounding but not half bad considering the age/abuse factor. The TEAC equipment finally bit the dust about 8 years ago. I need a belt/stylus for the turntable and hold out hope I can come across them someday.

hifidave
03-25-2006, 01:26 PM
My first pair of speakers was the original Advent. Power by Dyna Stereo 120, Pat 4, FM3 or 5, Dual turntable with Stanton 681EE cartridge. Now have Thiel 7.2 with a lot in between.

emorphien
03-25-2006, 04:40 PM
My first speakers were some crappy Aiwas as part of minisystem I had when I was in middleschool.

i've since had some gargantuan Technics loudspeakers, Polk speakers for the home theater and Axiom M3tis for my stereo.

I have big dreams for what to do next, but as a grad student no means to do anything about it yet.

MikeyBC
03-26-2006, 06:50 PM
My first pair were Paradigm 3SE's, second pair were 7SE's,third pair were Paradigm Export Monitors and finally to this day the PSB's and i'm due for another change soon.

SLCKev
03-27-2006, 12:10 PM
My first pair of speakers I bought that weren't part of a system were Paradigm 7se. I still have them and they have held up very well. I think I paid about $400 for the pair in 1991.

pether
03-27-2006, 01:22 PM
My 1st speakers were Wharfedale Denton's 2, bookshelf. They were very popular around students (1975).

bubslewis
03-28-2006, 09:22 PM
1973. Bought BOSE 501 series II. Bought 4 of them, was searching for the "true quadraphonic" sound that was a hot topic at the time. Also bought 4 Microstat small tweeter arrays and put one of them on top of each BOSE.

BOSE's were made of wood back then and were pretty decent. Too bad that they've declined in recent years. Used them until recently, now in my garage. All of them have bass rattles and other sounds of deterioration. Externally they're in great condition.

natlus
04-07-2006, 04:19 PM
My first speaker(s) was the large Advent, I don't know its name other than it was the classic two way, floorstanding speaker with a walnut cabinet and a tannish/grey cloth grill. It had a tweeter emphasis toggle-style switch near the wire posts, and it was bought at "Tech Hi-Fi", a chain store in Manhattan which I believe is out of business.

What is remarkable about these speakers, in hindsight, is how relatively neutral and 'true' the sound was. Of course in my stoner high school and college days, I always thought there were better speakers and could not appreciate them, perhaps, as much as I could have. I think I've read that Henry Koss was responsible for their design...if that's true, I'm curious to hear from other Advent owners, or what others' experiences were with this speaker.

Do the English make speakers tend to try to be more "neutral" sounding than American speakers? Or is this a phenomena with older speakers? Or my imagination?

hpl
04-08-2006, 04:29 PM
hi! i'm new here. my first hifi speaker pair was an AR-18, right after college, back in early '80s. i now own over 2 dozen speaker pairs evenly distributed among American, British and Japanese brands.

SalsaMan
04-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Pioneer, back in high school, cost i think 60 bucks for the pair, brand new! Blew out the crappy 8in woofer after about 15 minutes, wow i still remember that wonderful burnt speaker smell...

Then i "upgraded" to Sony tower speakers, the tweeters quit after a month of blasting rap and horizintal mambo scenes out my dorm window, so i lived with no treble for about year, *sigh*, those were the days.

mikeslc
04-20-2006, 10:16 AM
First speakers were in some sort of Sony boombox. However, the first pair of real speakers were the NHT 2.5s. Those things were pretty nice. I really liked the angled shape and shiny black finish. Sound was good too.

stevesack
04-25-2006, 09:56 AM
My first pair are the ones i still have. its not really a pair its a four pack of jensen jp1300s. i have the matching sub and center channel hooked up to a pioneer reciever. good times

RoyY51
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
My first speakers were a pair of Fender(!) P.A. speakers with a four input amp head that we used for the vocals in my first rock and roll band. They were wrapped in black vinyl, stood about five feet high and when I wasn't using them to play music, I was listening to music through them. This was in 1965. I can still remember the muffled screams of my family as I ruptured my eardrums while bombarding the neighborhood with sounds from the latest British import. God, those were good days!

DPM
05-05-2006, 07:59 PM
My first set of speakers were actually a set of Koss Pro AAA headphones. I couldn't afford speakers until a year later. When funds allowed I ended up purchasing a set of Technics SBL 300's. They were ported three-ways with a 12 " woofer, 3" midrange and horn tweeter. They weren't cheap either. $500.00 in 1980 was a fair amount of green.

I owned the Technics until 1986. When I moved to New York to chase my rock and roll dream I left the SBL 300's back in PA. I eventually bought a pair of Energy ESM monitors.

Peter P.
08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
My first pair were OPTIMUS 25s'. My first new speakers with my first pay cheque.
Hadthese less than a year when I decided to buy the second generation liquid cooled
MACH ONEs'. Second generation MACH ONEs' were the worst speaker choice I ever
made, realistic crap, painfull to listen to, especially in the midrange. I gladly fried them
with my HEATHKIT AA-1800. Bought a pair of CERWIN VEGA D-9s' after that. Best
sounding speakers I ever had. Still use them today.

misterq4u
08-23-2006, 04:49 AM
If is any kind of speakers, then it would be the detachable ones from my first Sony boombox, when CD's were released to consumers.

If for Hi-Fi, it was not a pair, it was 4 pairs all at once.
I owned the first set of HTIB from JBL and it was Dolby ProLogic capable with 4 satellites and a passive sub hooked to their little amp/decoder it sounded amazing!!! and to compliment it, I had an Onkyo 8511 stereo receiver with 4 giant DJ speakers, 2 JBLs and 2 "ElectroBass" brand.

What a memory lane trip.:5:

JoeE SP9
08-23-2006, 08:02 AM
In 1967 I bought a Fisher KX-90 kit amplifier a Benjamin Miracord TT/w Pickering cartridge and a pair of AR-2's. I saved my paycheck for 3 months to buy that stuff. I was in the military and didn't need much money to live on.:ihih:

jwh917
08-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Criterion bookshelves in the 70's.Looking back now...those things sounded great.Although my parents may disagree!

Jimmy C
08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Criterion bookshelves in the 70's.Looking back now...those things sounded great.Although my parents may disagree!

...forgot the model number, but bought them from Layfayette at the Smith Havem Mall (Lake Grove, NY) back in '79 or so.

Funny thing is my friend STILL has the model one up from mine (he one-upped me on a lot of audio :*) in MINT condition. I recently went to his father's house (where they reside) and I couldn't believe the condition... like new.

Not so sure about the sound quality... the Pioneers of that era were better for the same money (re: cheap)

Fun stuff indeed...

basite
08-24-2006, 02:24 AM
is the one i still use, they are my dad's 1978-80 advent floorstanders, i have them for 4 years now, they've practically never really broke (exept the rotted foam) since then they have 12" woofers in them, they sound pretty good for their price and age, actually, they sound too good to 'upgrade' to a new pair of speakers matching my budget.

chaos24
08-24-2006, 08:19 AM
my first pair of speakers were cerwin vega vs120 ....i still miss them, there hard to find these days

JRS11
04-10-2011, 08:08 AM
29.95 each. 8" 2 way (with a 3" tweeter) in a ported cabinet.

Part of my first "real" stereo which also included a Lafayette 224A tube amp (a rip roaran' 6 wpc) and a Garrard AT-60 (with the 1cent Pickering cartridge).

All for the princely sum of $160 or thereabouts in 63 - 64 or so, from snow shoveling and lawn mowing money from the previous few years.

Mine as well, purchased in '67 or '68 at the store in Lynbrook, NY. I still have the speakers and am wondering what to do with them, the rest of the system got stolen many years ago and enabled me to buy much better components.

From my bedroom in the '60's:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/guitone/regular%20stuff/?action=view&current=60sbedroom.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/guitone/regular%20stuff/60sbedroom.jpg

Poultrygeist
04-11-2011, 04:38 AM
My first pair was a brand few of you have ever heard of - Frazier Mk4's which were made in Dallas Texas and had a neat horn driver. Jack Frazier also made the "Dixielanders" which were giant horns often found in movie theaters back in the day.

My Fraziers only needed a couple of watts but back then I thought more was better so I mis-matched them with a powerful Sherwood amp.

tube fan
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
My first speakers were the AR 3a. Drove them with a Dynaco Mark III amp (modified by Van Alstine). I gave the speakers away when I bought my Fulton Js. Wish I had kept the Mark IIIs!

JohnMichael
04-13-2011, 06:19 PM
My first pair was a brand few of you have ever heard of - Frazier Mk4's which were made in Dallas Texas and had a neat horn driver. Jack Frazier also made the "Dixielanders" which were giant horns often found in movie theaters back in the day.

My Fraziers only needed a couple of watts but back then I thought more was better so I mis-matched them with a powerful Sherwood amp.

When I lived in Dallas I had the chance to hear a pair of Fraziers. I remember liking the sound.

Hyfi
04-14-2011, 04:24 AM
The first pair I actually bought was with my first system with my first income tax check in 1978. The speakers were Infinity RSb's.

Before that I had Heathkit Speakers, Receiver and an old dual turntable.

Feanor
04-14-2011, 05:15 AM
My first speakers were the AR 3a. Drove them with a Dynaco Mark III amp (modified by Van Alstine). I gave the speakers away when I bought my Fulton Js. Wish I had kept the Mark IIIs!
Hey, Tube Fan. My first system was driven by Dynaco solid state components, viz. PAT-4 and Stereo 80 which drove Dynaco A25's. But I often wonder how different my attitudes would been, even up to today, if I'd happened to choose a PAS-3 and Stereo 70 instead.

One of those interesting might-have-beens!:19:

MikeyBC
04-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Besides a couple homemade my first purchase was Paradigm 3se's with money I earned from a summer job while in high school

tube fan
04-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey, Tube Fan. My first system was driven by Dynaco solid state components, viz. PAT-4 and Stereo 80 which drove Dynaco A25's. But I often wonder how different my attitudes would been, even up to today, if I'd happened to choose a PAS-3 and Stereo 70 instead.

One of those interesting might-have-beens!:19:
I compared the Mark III to several ss amps. It was no contest IMO. Yes, I ended up with the Dynaco tube preamp. My brother bought the A25 and drove them with the PAS-3 and Stereo 70. My system was better IMO, but not by all that much.

rakeford
04-16-2011, 10:15 AM
I was born ...

a poor RadioShack child.

My first set of speakers are the Optimus-2B. I bought them with the STA-80 receiver and Miracord 40C turntable. I liked the Optimus-2B then, and I like them now. But I like my Klipsch RF-7 and CL Optimus-1 better.

The Optimus-2B have never been serviced and they still sound good. The original cloth surround are still in great shape.

ivansteiven
04-17-2011, 05:06 AM
my share was an Onkyo HTIB 5.1 i bought it 4yrs ago, and then bought a pair of 301 and later a pair of b&w 685

ivansteiven
04-17-2011, 05:07 AM
my first speaker was an Onkyo HTIB 5.1 i bought it 4yrs ago, and then bought a pair of 301 and later a pair of b&w 685

Poultrygeist
04-19-2011, 02:34 AM
The Dynaco ST-70 sold more than any tube amp in history. There are still tons of them out there along with the PAS-2/3 and A25's. Entire forums of Dynaco devotees are on the net.

Charlie04SiR
05-10-2011, 05:22 PM
My First pair of speakers was a pair of 1978 Kenwood LS-408B's, saved them from our family business after my dad wouldn't let my mom use them in the house after it was renovated, so they were brought to the business storeroom. My dad offered them to the janitor, of which he took one, and never came back to get the other one that I took home. Luckily, I managed to track him down and get it back. They were special because my brother bought them new in 1978, when he bought his first stereo, a SX-1250 Pioneer. I recently moved to Texas, and gave them back to my brother. They still sound beautiful after all these years. I manged to find another pair of them for myself, so that's why I gave my brother his back. He wanted 'em back pretty badly too, lol!
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture247.jpg

YBArcam
05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
I'll skip things like my Sony boombox (20 years old and it still works) and Sony Walkman earphones.

The first real speaker I purchased was about six years ago, the Energy Connoisseur C-1. I loved the magnetic grille covers. A nice speaker for the price and it kept me pretty happy for three years or so, and then the upgrade bug hit.

http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/articles/2003/1/2/audiofile/energy1.jpg

dingus
05-15-2011, 09:03 PM
way back in '79, ADS L-520's for i think $400. they are long gone, but made me a fan of ADS speakers for life.

jjp735i
06-27-2011, 10:25 AM
My real first pair was a set of Speakerlab Super 7's that me a friend built. That was way back in 1975. They were destroyed by a wet basement in 1994. Still have the original horn midrange and tweeters I used, The tweeters went back into there black plastic cases and now sit on top of my HPM 100. They are the realistic super tweeters..

arctikdeth
07-23-2011, 12:20 PM
first speakers I owned were realistic Mach speakers. great sperakers

then bought a pair of old cerwin vegas for a few years, liked them alot, bought a few pairs of those through the years. SE-380...didnt like the ribbon surround sound, no bass reproduction, still have my D-9 pair, great speakers!! had the AT-15's auto breaker on tweeter kept tripping, sold those, bought pair of altec lansing m510's good sound, but didnt like the sound. have 2 pair polk LS-90, they were blown up while we h ad wifes friend watch the house, over powered with older sansui 9090db w/ all 4 hooked up, fine for the casual listening I was doing, but they put on some rap ****e & fried my receiver and speakers, I was so po's that day i got home. now using pair of newer B.I.C. america DV-84's......took about 100 hours ot break these in with the butyl surround, but these are a fantastic speaker, cant handle a lot of power, but their sound is stunning & soundstage is everywhere, great speaker.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-24-2011, 01:32 PM
My first set of speakers where the Klipschorns, and a set of AR MGC-1 "magic speakers". I loved the sound of both of those speakers, even though they sound so different from each other.

RGA
07-24-2011, 09:28 PM
first speakers I owned were realistic Mach speakers. great sperakers

then bought a pair of old cerwin vegas for a few years, liked them alot, bought a few pairs of those through the years. SE-380...didnt like the ribbon surround sound, no bass reproduction, still have my D-9 pair, great speakers!! had the AT-15's auto breaker on tweeter kept tripping, sold those, bought pair of altec lansing m510's good sound, but didnt like the sound. have 2 pair polk LS-90, they were blown up while we h ad wifes friend watch the house, over powered with older sansui 9090db w/ all 4 hooked up, fine for the casual listening I was doing, but they put on some rap ****e & fried my receiver and speakers, I was so po's that day i got home. now using pair of newer B.I.C. america DV-84's......took about 100 hours ot break these in with the butyl surround, but these are a fantastic speaker, cant handle a lot of power, but their sound is stunning & soundstage is everywhere, great speaker.

I still maintain that despite their problems the Cerwin Vega D9's were one of the most FUN loudspeakers I ever heard - accurate not even close but you know what the bass - and the volume and the kick in the chest and the whole wollop factor is pretty damn awesome and for a grand. $999 in Canada.

The new CLS 215 is the same price and is a much better sounding speaker in the midrange and treble and it's a lot more in sync. But the D9 was way easier to drive - huge sensitivity spec if I recall over 105db sensitive (the new ones aren't).

Fred70433
07-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Pioneer CS-99A's. Big 15" paper cone woofer and horn loaded if I recall correctly. Those old speakers could take some serious power and really rocked at higher volumes.

blackraven
07-25-2011, 04:52 AM
My first pair of speakers were a pair of 2way Altec Lansing's with an 8' woofer. My second set were these Cannon TLS 1030 or 1032's-

http://theaudioexchange.com/speakers.htm

PoWn3d_0704
08-11-2011, 09:50 PM
My first sound system is the one I have now. A Sony 5.1 system... 1000w total. Not happy with it, and I need 5 posts before I can ask questions here.

t-bones
08-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Realistic MC-2001s. 8in 2 way, 1980. They are taking up space in my garage on a shelf. Won't ever use them again, but just can't seem to throw them away. They don't even sound good enough to use in the garage. I have 4 Athena's hooked up out there running off a Carver TFM35.

dwayne.aycock
08-21-2011, 10:08 AM
My first set of speakers were a pair of Morse Electrophonic (later called Fisher) variable bass reflex MK2.
They were a whopping $100 each back in 1978. They were part of a multiplex system (all in one) that had a radio, 8 track, turntable and inputs for a separate cassette player.
Over the years I have climbed the audio ladder from:
radio shack, sony, pioneer, allison, mirage and martin logan.
That was 33 years ago.
Man did you just make me feel old !

recoveryone
08-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I worked all summer after my freshmen year of collage 79-80 and brought a MCS setup from JC Penny the reciver was made by Technics 60 WPC and the speakers are unknown, but it rocked the dorms back then. I had to replace the tweeters and mids and they guy that did the work put some top of the line replacements in, I had to give them away, 12 years ago (Wife had enough of their size) 12" woofer, 4" mid and a bullet proof tweeter 2".

Found this info at Parts express:
JC Penney MCS something-or-other (actually built by United Speaker Systems, the same makers of MacIntosh speakers, and use a phenolic dome tweet, phenolic dome mid, and 12" woofer, very interesting!)

Saw a pic on Ebay of a old set that looked like mine :)

da1776
08-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I had mainly junk until college. After I learned to read specs and manage my meager savings, i settled for a pair of Wharfedale W 60 E's powered by a Dynaco PAT 4 and a Dynaco Stereo 120 power amp. I also bought a Thornes TD 125 with a Shure V15 Cart. I kept the Wharfdales for 10 years and finaly sold them and purchased a pair of ADS 7XX's

dakatabg
08-27-2011, 09:10 PM
My first ones were Cerwin Vega AT-12

R.Clarke
08-28-2011, 02:29 AM
the first pair of speakers i owned was a pair of carlsbro ALPHA AT10/150S

not the greatest speakers i owned i admit, but i was on a tight budget

2low2rl
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
some old no name speakers with paper cones that i made a cardboard enclosure for. lol

Doc Sage
09-20-2011, 03:46 PM
My first speakers? Please don't laugh, guys.

A very cheap pair of Toshiba. They did not last very long in my possession, they were upstage by some "Pro-logic" speakers, a Canadian brand. I started with a two way with a 6 inch woofer then moved to a 8 incher before a three way with a 10", all in the same year. The next year I got an Electrovoice 3 way system and a couple years later a very good Dynaco A50.

Doc Sage

Bjorn154
09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
B&O way back in 60's - they were "the" speaker brand back then in Europe. What they lacked in soundstage compared to today's speakers they made up for in volume as I recall. After that I had a pair of Sonab's - wish I still had them

starcolony
09-27-2011, 03:02 PM
My first speakers were Marantz's bottom of the line, 3 way book shelf speakers. Paired with the trusty Realistic STA-64 receiver (still in use in my office as we speak) and a bottom end Marantz turntable. This was back in the mid 70's when my high school buddies thought that bigger was better (watts and speaker cabinet size).

My setup blew theirs away. It was sheer joy to que up a record on that setup. The Marantz speakers finally started tearing after about 15 years. I tried replacing the speakers with aftermarket replacements, but never replicated the detailed sound of the original configuration.

Good memories...

TR

Sansui71
10-24-2011, 06:58 PM
I still have them and will probably have them forever. Pair of Sanuis' SP2500X. Bought them to go with my Sansui 4CH reel to reel, and quad receiver. No longer have the R2R or the receiver. Really do miss that huge machine...I believe I have a pic of the spkrs posted, if anyone is interested in seeing those bad boys...

B&Waudio
10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
The question brought back a flood of memories. I had a Soundesign stereo with Soundesign speakers. The stereo had cool flip switches and right and left channel lights that pulsated. It looked cool and I could plug my Jimi Hendrix 8 tracks into it. At the time I loved it.

wrc65
01-02-2012, 07:09 PM
i inherited fisher stv-340's and realistic optimus 7 speakers around the same time and really thought i had it awesome! although my setup isnt stellar it is far superior than that mess!

George Dontigny
01-02-2012, 11:24 PM
A pair of Studabaker ,Customs, They were oval , and I had them in wooden Coke Boxes , they were out of a Low Boy ,

Bill Watson
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
First "proper" loudspeakers I owned were a pair of huge Tannoy Lancaster's each of which had a 15" Dual Concentric driver. Picked them up secondhand from a friend who was downsizing in 1977 for £250. They were true window rattlers but had to go eventually as they took up too much living space. Wish I still had them now as they are fetching silly money on ebay and similar auction sites. Since that time I've owned Bowers & Wilkins, KEF, Bose, Sansui, Celestion and I'm now using a pair of Gale Gold Monitor Mk.2's which sound great with my current setup.

TheShawn
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
1990 Bose 4.2 with Onkyo TX-822 and Onkyo 5 disc changer.

Still have them all but only use the CD changer. The speakers and receiver just sit in the basement storage room.

George Dontigny
01-15-2012, 03:49 AM
AR18 BX, Electron, I would like to try, Vangersteen, VPMS,TDL,
Conrad-Johnson, Snell,Savard,Quadral,Philips ,OHM,and
Marthin-Logan ,

phileserver39
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Hey guys and gals. It is good to be back after a hiatus. I owned a pair of EPI acoustic suspension speakers (10" woofer). I haven't been able to remember or investigate the model number. My dad bought them for me at a Crazy Eddie type store closeout in Danbury CT in the early to mid 90's. The were a set of demos. I ended up building a cool set of stands for them that angled them back just a bit.

I didn't have the ear or the experience that I do now but, damn, if those speakers didn't sound great- especially for the money.

squeegy200
01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
The very first pair of speakers I bought were
JBL 4301B
At the time I thought they were spectacular. They were very smooth and flat for near field listening. I powered the with a classic NAD 3020 integrated amp.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BvF-sYnxhfE/TxjsqBZnIVI/AAAAAAAALYw/l7jyrdLkWXg/s600/jbl4301b7cq.jpg

thehifiguy
01-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Fisher XP55B's.

:smile5:

JohnMichael
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
The very first pair of speakers I bought were
JBL 4301B
At the time I thought they were spectacular. They were very smooth and flat for near field listening. I powered the with a classic NAD 3020 integrated amp.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BvF-sYnxhfE/TxjsqBZnIVI/AAAAAAAALYw/l7jyrdLkWXg/s600/jbl4301b7cq.jpg

I liked the home version of that speaker the JBL 19. I bought a pair for my younger brother. His wife sold them cheaply in a yard sale without checking with either of us.

Poultrygeist
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
A real Sherwood 100 wpc receiver and Dual paired with these 96 db Mark IV's. I was just a kid and uninformed. The Fraziers made in Dallas sounded as good as Heresy's. There's even a Frazier sub group on the Klipsch forum.

Beautiful Vintage Frazier mark IV stereo speakers - Classified Ad (http://www.classifiedads.com/electronics-ad10749746.htm)

dadmaster
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
My 1st were Ultralinier, don't see them anymore. I had a beutiful marantz 65 w per 2, and matching eq. speakers were so costly then, and I was on a low budjet. stolen 2 yrs after purchase. never recovered.

draco
02-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Polk RT4

Fred70433
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
My first pair were Pioneer CS-99A's. I bought them in 1977 and had them until I gave them to my sister in 1992. Wish I had them back. I think her ex-husband took them when they got divorced.

George Dontigny
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
The first set of decent speakers That I bought were a pare of Dodge Custom Speakers , they were small speakers with great sound , I changed the cross over and tweeters from 20 Khz to A SET AT 29Khz .
they Would fit in a trunk with the rest of the Stereo , which was A Nec Receiver , and Turn
table , Back in the early 80's , So you like Nad , I have a Nad 2400 , Amp for sale .

mlsstl
04-29-2012, 05:25 PM
My first "real" speakers were a pair of AR-4x. These were the intro speaker for the Acoustic Research line. I believe the year was 1969. I powered them with a Dynaco SCA-35 tube amp that I built from the kit and had an AR turntable with a basic Shure cartridge.

George Dontigny
04-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi your pair of of AR-4X Circa 1969 , was in the time when AR was
building their own components , and had a better Quality product , than later in the 80s , when they were mass produced , Mine Are AR 18 -BX . which are Digital speakers , they are a two way , Fre,
40-22000 Hz , 100 watts max , they are mint , had them refomed ,
with , Boston fomes . So for the cost of a miner repair , I had them given to me by a dealer , these as far as I Know around 1980 ,
The AR18s were out before the AR 18 BX s,.

George Dontigny
05-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I had 2 pair of Sony SS 550 H froor standing , 3 way , about 40 inches high , Freq, 35=50000-HZ, great for a 5.1 system . Cristle Clear Sound , they were great for SACD playing,

BoJonJovi
05-08-2012, 07:01 AM
I think my first speakers was when I took a radio apart and put a couple car speakers on it so I could have something like a stereo. I was probably 12 if that. Then at around 14 my dad and I built a set trying to emulate Altec Lansing Voice of the Theaters. They came out great for a first try but were way short of the AL's lol.

George Dontigny
05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
It seams a lot of people regret giveing up their speakers , and stereos,and wishing for the chance to own them again , Check out Canuck Audio Mart , and may be your dream will live agane . I'm a member and so can you .