Want to get a record player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Want to get a record player

specialagentpunk
07-10-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm a total noob to records and record players. I don't even know where to start. I've looked at wikipedia, but that's it. I guess I want a good sound system for my room. I think I'm attracted to the retro/classic aspect of records. I'd love to just sit in my room while some old jazz record is on the loop, or listening to Suspense or X Minus One - I love old time radio, though I get it all from mp3s off the net.

Any tips, like beginning players and systems? Any good guides?

btw, I'm not looking to spend over $500. The cheaper the better. Like $100 would be great.

(I don't have or ever had any sound systems or record players, thats how noobish I am.)

Thanks.

JohnMichael
07-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm a total noob to records and record players. I don't even know where to start. I've looked at wikipedia, but that's it. I guess I want a good sound system for my room. I think I'm attracted to the retro/classic aspect of records. I'd love to just sit in my room while some old jazz record is on the loop, or listening to Suspense or X Minus One - I love old time radio, though I get it all from mp3s off the net.

btw, I'm not looking to spend over $500. The cheaper the better. Like $100 would be great.

(I don't have or ever had any sound systems or record players, thats how noobish I am.)

Thanks.

First of all welcome to the AudioReview. Secondly yes you can purchase a turntable for under $500. My concern is you say you do not have a sound system. If you buy a ttable you will also need a phono cartridge, amplification such as receiver or integrated amp with a built in phono section or a seperate phono premap and a pair of speakers. We can certainly help you put a system together but you will need more than a ttable. Let us know if you have equipment you did not list. We will gladly help.

ericl
07-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Technics SL-1200, buy one new, easily for under that price. Better built than anything else at that price, super easy to use, fun and sound great. Just get the Technics and don't stress about it.

nobody
07-13-2006, 06:39 PM
So...what's the deal? Do you need a whole stereo with a turntable for the $500...or are you gonna spend $500 on just the table?

If you need the whole thing...it can be done, but you'll probably wanna go used, which should match up well with your desire for the retro vibe.

Resident Loser
07-14-2006, 06:55 AM

Thanks.

...I'm gonna' get flak but...do you want a stereo system i.e. source/receiver/loudspeakers or do you want a record player?

Most low priced stuff will not have the required "phono in" connections...since "everybody" does CDs, MP3s etc. it isn't a common feature.

Even some entry level mini-components like the ONKYO stuff, while very good IMHO (I happen to own their MC35 Tech system) and in your price range, does not allow you to simply plug an ordinary TT into it without other required stuff...

TEAC makes a line of self-contained consumer goods (Model GF-350 in particular @$400)that have a turn-table/tuner/CDP-Recorder and speakers in one neat package (HERESY! I hear the cries)...but it's a record player, and you can't get much more retro than that...yes, there are downsides to such devices and in the long run you are probably better off taking baby-steps into the weird, wonderful world of audio but it's six of one-half dozen of the other...how involved do you want to get?

You can go the more hi-fi route, but it will require some self-education and investigation on your part...you really need to audition the speakers...

Taking a cursory look at Crutchfield, you can get Infinity 160s or Polk R15s for around $180-200USD/per pair, an ONKYO TX-8211 receiver (with "phono in" jks) @$200 and a Denon DP-29F TT e/w cartridge for $150...So around $550 for the whole system and you can add a CD player etc. when you come up with more cash...

Remember these are only suggestions and the prices may be lower at other retailers...just make sure they are factory authorized if the warranty is important to you...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

BRANDONH
07-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Technics SL-1200, buy one new, easily for under that price. Better built than anything else at that price, super easy to use, fun and sound great. Just get the Technics and don't stress about it.

Dont forget that you can pass this table down to your grandchildren.
and this one is on sale at just 399.00 no tax and free shipping you can have the Technics SL-1210MK2 Turntable

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/7/8/4/291784.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Technics-SL1210MK2-Turntable?sku=807058

PAT.P
07-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Try looking for used ,lots around for under $100.I have 6 and 4 have to leave.I love the ones with the wood grain finish Marantz ,Dual ,AR .

bacchanal
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Or a used Rega P3...a nice solid table with a great tone arm and lots of room for upgrades.