Static Turntable Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Static Turntable Help

Stereomaniac
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with static electricity and my turntablerecords. It is manifesting itself in pops and clicks when I play back my LPs. I even get static "cling" at times when I pull the record off the turntable platter.

I have a BeoGram RX-2 beltdrive turntable. I use the AudioQuest carbon fiber brush to clean my records before I play then...It says on the package it is "Anti-Static" and is supposed to bleed static charges from the LP. I do store it in the original cardboard/plastic bubble packaging. Could the plastic in the packaging be inducing a charge? I previously cleaned my records with Discwasher products, but have since recleaned them with the Disc Doctor record cleaner at least once for each record. Disc Doctor is supposed to be a pretty good product and the records do come out very "black" and clean looking.

I realize some static is unavoidable but I really believe some thing needs to be done.

JoeE SP9
07-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Have you always had this problem?:confused:

Woochifer
07-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Static is just part of the landscape with vinyl. You can discharge the surface static using a Zerostat gun (it's also effective with releasing the static charge when records are inside plastic sleeves), but cleaning with something like a felt pad can build the static right back up. I also used to use an anti-static felt pad that seemed to work at reducing static build up.

Here's a link if you're interested in the Zerostat.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMILTY

Bernd
07-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I store my Vinyl in "Nagaoka Anti Static Inner Sleeves" works a treat. I also use a RCM and very lightly brush the record with a Clearaudio Carbon Fibre Brush before each play.
I used to have the Zerostat Gun. Didn't replace it when it stopped working.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Stereomaniac
07-11-2006, 07:29 AM
I have had the problem for a while. I always thought that it was related to using Discwasher products. The D4 cleaning solution and pad are supposed to be anti-static, but I have found that the brush puts a big static charge on the record. So I switched to Disc Doctor cleaning products and was very impressed with their cleaning ability and picked up a new AudioQuest carbon fiber brush. This has helped, but I still have a problem. I do store my LPs in the original sleves. Maybe the problem is not cleaning, but that I am charging them when I take them out of their sleeves? I was not aware that the still make the Zerostat gun. I haven't seen one since Discwasher was making them in the 70's. Sholdn't the carbon fiber brush be reducing the static?

JohnMichael
07-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Static electricity can be a bigger problem in areas of low humidity and in winter months with forced air heating. If you are doing everything else right and still having a lot of static check your home humidity levels.

BRANDONH
07-11-2006, 08:27 AM
I am having a lot of trouble with static electricity and my turntablerecords. It is manifesting itself in pops and clicks when I play back my LPs. I even get static "cling" at times when I pull the record off the turntable platter.

I have a BeoGram RX-2 beltdrive turntable. I use the AudioQuest carbon fiber brush to clean my records before I play then...It says on the package it is "Anti-Static" and is supposed to bleed static charges from the LP. I do store it in the original cardboard/plastic bubble packaging. Could the plastic in the packaging be inducing a charge? I previously cleaned my records with Discwasher products, but have since recleaned them with the Disc Doctor record cleaner at least once for each record. Disc Doctor is supposed to be a pretty good product and the records do come out very "black" and clean looking.

I realize some static is unavoidable but I really believe some thing needs to be done.

This stuff works great and does not have to be applied each play.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/as201JPG/SGRUV.gif
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=12502

jrhymeammo
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
This stuff works great and does not have to be applied each play.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/as201JPG/SGRUV.gif
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=12502

A problem that I found with Gruv Glide is that once I apply the product, I'm in a situation where I have to reuse it. I always write a small letter on a corner of a inner sleeve to remind me which records have been cleaned, treated, and so on. Well, I failed to see that on one of my record because I let one of friend take it out and look at it. He inserted back the sleeve in a wrong way. It's my fault since I tell him touch it for some reason.... Anyways, I cleaned record with Last 3, it smeared GG product all over. Once I reapplied GG, the problem was resolved but I would hate to be stuck with it for the life of my records.

One question I have is that do you have the same problem with all of your records? I'm wondering if you are just playing damaged/dirty records.
Good luck

Resident Loser
07-11-2006, 09:26 AM
...is the way to go, I'd avoid any sort of topical potions...maybe rice-paper or anti-static replacement sleeves...

The Milty (formerly Discwasher) Zerostat is now a British import it seems... you do have to be careful with it...a slow squeeze and equally slow release of the trigger is required to neutralize the static charge...Pumping too quickly can actually charge the surface and make things worse...And holy carp!! runs $75USD @ Needle doctor and other places...man the prices do go wild...around $20-25 when I bought mine...

jimHJJ(...of course that was a bit ago...)

Stereomaniac
07-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes, the ZeroStat guns have really increased. The last time I looked at them they were around $25.

I am having the problem with all my records, old and new.

Do carbon fiber brushes need an maintainence? Flush with distilled water once in a while?

dean_martin
07-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I had a static problem for a while. I switched from a felt mat to an extremephono mat (which I do not recommend if you have a habit of leaving a record on the platter overnight) and even disconnected the ground (earth) wire. These two things helped reduce static charge, but I've moved since then and haven't noticed the problem anymore. (just guessing I'd say that my new home is insulated better than my old home thus reducing indoor humidity)

trollgirl
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
The Dust Bug or similiar can do a good job, they carry the charge away to ground via a wire.

Laz

jrhymeammo
07-18-2006, 06:03 PM
but I've moved since then and haven't noticed the problem anymore. (just guessing I'd say that my new home is insulated better than my old home thus reducing indoor humidity)

I have a question,

Are you stating that lower humidity reduces static? I've always thought it was other way around. I live in Colorado, and the humidity is less than 20% more of the time. When I introduced a swamp cooler in my apartment, it reduced static dramatically.

-JRA

JohnMichael
07-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Static electricity is worse in low humidity/dry climates. Also static will increase in winter with most forms of heat with the exception of steam heat.

The B&O RX2 does not have a mat on the platter.

bacchanal
07-19-2006, 11:19 AM
A humidifier is a great idea for the winter or if you live in a dry climate. I try to keep mine around 40%. Also adding some plants can help increase humidity to a room.

Woochifer
07-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I have had the problem for a while. I always thought that it was related to using Discwasher products. The D4 cleaning solution and pad are supposed to be anti-static, but I have found that the brush puts a big static charge on the record. So I switched to Disc Doctor cleaning products and was very impressed with their cleaning ability and picked up a new AudioQuest carbon fiber brush. This has helped, but I still have a problem. I do store my LPs in the original sleves. Maybe the problem is not cleaning, but that I am charging them when I take them out of their sleeves? I was not aware that the still make the Zerostat gun. I haven't seen one since Discwasher was making them in the 70's. Sholdn't the carbon fiber brush be reducing the static?

Discwasher marketed the original Zerostat and the Zerostat 2 well into the mid-80s. They were made in Britain and rebranded by Discwasher for the U.S. market; I believe that the current model is marketed by the actual manufacturer.

I bought the original Zerostat gun around 1984 and still use it. The Zerostat 2 was much more effective, but I remember that at that time it cost more than the original version (~$30 to ~$50). If you factor in about 20 years worth of inflation, the current Zerostat 3 costs roughly the same as the Zerostat 2 from 20 years ago.

Discwasher also made anti-static record sleeves, but I've not seen those in ages. Mobile Fidelity has also begun selling their 3-ply "rice paper" sleeves again. They're not quite as anti-static as the old Discwasher sleeves, but they are a big step up over the sleeves that typically come with LPs.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMFIS

Jimmy C
07-20-2006, 01:11 PM

...you have to separate what is static, as opposed to damage. Both can sound similar.

Assuming your LPs are in GREAT shape, and we are only talking about static...

Like Wooch said, there will always (well, much of the time at least) be SOME surface noise - ain't no ceedee. But I'm continually amazed at how quiet LPs can actually be... for eg., at low/moderate listening levels, clicks are almost undetectable much of the time. The "thing" is the vinyl must be of decent quality, the LP must be in very good condition, and it should be wet/vac'd. The carbon fiber brush/Milty's Zerostat/wet brush at every play is maintenance... not a first defense. Of course all of our favorite software can't be perfect, and I have plenty that ain't.

I've been listening to vinyl on and off (mostly "on") for 30 years. The single most important step one can take (IMO, natch) would be to get a wet-vac record cleaning machine. It made a HUGE difference for me - not only in lessening "clicks" and "pops", but in overall sound quality.

Doesn't have to be expensive to be effective... I have the Nitty Gritty 1.0. Someone mentioned the Disc Dr. for even less... almost the same thing, IIRC.

Never tried the Groove Glide, maybe that's the cat's meow as well.

Somewhat amusing story...

I must be going back to 1979 or 80 walking around a "quaint" ferry town here on Long Island - Port Jefferson. We knew of a record store there, and I bought the 'ole red bottle of Discwasher D4 (?). What was great was the look on the clerks face upon telling me how much I owed for that small bottle of water.

As soon as he said: "That'll be $21" his head was down, but his eyes immediately shifted to mine, watching for my reaction...lol.

Nope... I was used to it even back then.

Cleaning fluids ARE a bit pricey, eh?

dean_martin
08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I have a question,

Are you stating that lower humidity reduces static? I've always thought it was other way around. I live in Colorado, and the humidity is less than 20% more of the time. When I introduced a swamp cooler in my apartment, it reduced static dramatically.

-JRA

I was gone for a while and missed the continuation of this thread. For the record, I think I had the humidity issue backwards, but I was trying to account for less static since I moved. Oh well, maybe better insulation in the new home keeps temperatures more constant in the winter?

jrhymeammo
08-05-2006, 08:53 AM
I was gone for a while and missed the continuation of this thread. For the record, I think I had the humidity issue backwards, but I was trying to account for less static since I moved. Oh well, maybe better insulation in the new home keeps temperatures more constant in the winter?

New home=new and improved sound, congrats on your purchase. I hope your system wasnt compromised due to relocation.

Any luck with your problem there StereoManiac?

-JRA

hifitommy
08-05-2006, 09:53 AM
the tt needs to be grounded to the receiver or preamp. sometimes, the receiver or pre needs to be grounded to the screw in the electrical outlet at the wall. static needs a pathway to ground. its cheap and wont be difficult.

Stereomaniac
08-21-2006, 07:49 AM
I have increased the humidity in the room and that seems to help. I talked to the folks at Disc Doctor and them recommended cleaning the records again with distilled water and a few drops of solution as a wetting agent. I may try that...I have most of my 16 oz bottle of solution left and nothing better to do with it:o

Grounding the reciever or turntable to the screw in the wall outlet was a bad idea. I got a reallt bad hum.

I am not very impressed with the ability of my carbon fiber brush to dissapate static.

hifitommy
08-21-2006, 04:13 PM
i only recommend grounding the tt to the receiver. the receiver to the outlet screw. another thing is to have a dedicated ground into the GROUND outside. a metal stake in the ground and other things gronded to it.

the screw is supposed to already be grounded but its possible that it isnt. grounding can be a real problem that can create 'ground loops' where there is potential introduced and thereby causing current flow.

lots of time and money has been spent trying to quell ground loops.

the humidification route is another way to squelch static.

as for the carbon fiber brush, its been said that if you gorund your other hand while brushing, the electons will flow out your hand.