Yamaha HTR Vs RX [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha HTR Vs RX

Coltrane
07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading from a Denon AVR-1803 to either a Yamaha HTR-5960 or the RX-V659. I have the product brochures on both and they look the same. It looks like I can get either of them for the same price. I wrote to Yamaha costumer service and they say the only differance is a plastic front and no powered zone 2 for the HTR. Has any one experianced Demoing these recievers noticed any other differances. They didn't say if these differances are across the line. Also I would like to know if this would be much of an upgrade sound wise from the Denon. I have an 12' x 15' room, with Mirage FRx-7 towers and centre channel and Athena P-2 rears with either a Paradigm PW-2100 or SVS PC 20-39i sub.All your help is appreciated.

kexodusc
07-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Well the HTR's have gold lettering, the RX-V's have white lettering...everone knows gold is better than white. I'd go with that.

The units are functionally identical, just distributed through different kinds of stores - this was done to keep the audio-specialty stores happy about selling "premium" lines of receivers, but also to use big box stores like Best Buy as an outlet to display the wares.
Denon, Yamaha, and a few other brands use this strategy - it's confusing as hell, and I'm not sure it's worth it. But otherwise there's no difference.
HTR's can be sold on-line as well, without voiding the warranty, rx-v's are exclusively available at dealers.

Some models use to have a feature or two different - usually pre-outs were only available on the RX-V's, but that's not even the case anymore. Go with the best deal that gives you warranty.

Coltrane
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info. It helps me quite a bit.

KaiWinters
07-11-2006, 01:52 AM
I have the 659 and when I was comparing it to a similarly priced Denon I felt the Yamaha sounded better. Denon, to me, did not sound better until I listened to the $600 model and I had a budget of $500 so the Yamaha it was.
I like the 659 quite a bit. Sounds great, very good power and features.
Good luck.