Getting Started with my 1st TT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with my 1st TT

ssarm@mac.com
07-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I picked up a technics sl qd33 for now, gonna use it for the rest of college then upgrade to something nicer.

So to get up and running, I have it connected to my pre-amp. I'm going to listen to it through headphones for now, since I'm still waiting on my amp to arrive.

Do I need to ground any of those components? I am guessing yes, since I tried playing the record and if I turn up the volume all the way, i can barely here it. I guess the ground it supposed to boost?

Can someone just explain how all this old technology works :wink5:

thanks a lot

My pre-amp is set a 175pf and MM/Hi MC whatever that means.

JoeE SP9
07-10-2006, 01:18 PM
What kind of cartridge is on your TT?

ssarm@mac.com
07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Audio Technica AT3482P

Woochifer
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
The ground wire does nothing except eliminate the buzzing sound that would result if you did not have it connected to anything. It doesn't do anything to boost the signal per se.

With my system, I would say that the prevailing level with the TT is about 10-20 db lower than the other components. That's largely a function of the cartridge, the LP, and whatever phono preamp is in use. Also, most CDs nowadays are mastered at very high levels that peak very close to the "digital zero" maximum, so those are probably not good references for you to compare with your TT.

I looked up your cartridge and it's a MM cartridge with a 5.0 mV output. That should be more than enough to sustain workable levels through your system on most preamps, and the position you're currently using is correct for that setup.

But, since the role of the phono input is to boost the phono signal to a more typical line level, and apply the RIAA equalization (all LPs are equalized to this curve during mastering, and the signal needs to be reequalized during playback), how each individual preamp/receiver handles the signal from the turntable will vary. If you feel that the phono input on your preamp is not high enough, then you might need to try hooking your turntable up to an external phono preamp that attaches to one your standard line level source inputs.

A commonly recommended unit for entry level turntables such as yours is the Project Phono Box (see link below).

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.928/.f?sc=2&category=401

And some other options (most of which are a lot more expensive and probably not practical for your setup)

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.401/.f;jsessionid=ac112b1b1f43c02bad97e5354568af79c152 b9d4bfee.e3eTaxmKbNaNe3iTaxqRaNiObO1ynknvrkLOlQzNp 65In0

ssarm@mac.com
07-10-2006, 03:43 PM
I've been doing some thinking about this little problem, and I think I just got myself an answer.

Right now I'm playing the TT through the preamp to the headphones. Don't I need to run the pre-amp into the amp, and then plug the headphones into the amp?

Does my playing the TT directly through the preamp to headphones cause the barely audible signal because it's not getting boosted? ie the pre-amp filters the signal and the amp boosts it to audible levels?

I hope so, or I might have a little problem:sosp:

JoeE SP9
07-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I've been doing some thinking about this little problem, and I think I just got myself an answer.

Right now I'm playing the TT through the preamp to the headphones. Don't I need to run the pre-amp into the amp, and then plug the headphones into the amp?

Does my playing the TT directly through the preamp to headphones cause the barely audible signal because it's not getting boosted? ie the pre-amp filters the signal and the amp boosts it to audible levels?

I hope so, or I might have a little problem:sosp:
One of my buddies has the exact same preamp you have. He is using a Music Hall MMF2.1. The output from the TT is lower in volume than the other sources. He doesn't use headphones so I can't comment on the volume from the headphone jack. He does have to advance the volume knob about 2 hours (from 11 to 1 o'clock) to get comparable levels. Very few power amps have headphone jacks. You should be able to get adaquate levels from the preamps headphone jack. How far do you have to advance the level control to get reasonable volume? What kind of headphones are you using?:confused:

ssarm@mac.com
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
i have to put the sound on max to barely hear anything on my sennheiser HD280pros.

I'm not gonna worry about it though, I'm sure when I get my power amp and hook everything up properly, I'll be able to make this thing run smooth.

JohnMichael
07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
i have to put the sound on max to barely hear anything on my sennheiser HD280pros.

I'm not gonna worry about it though, I'm sure when I get my power amp and hook everything up properly, I'll be able to make this thing run smooth.

Have you plugged in another source such as a cd player to the cd input so you could check the volume with the headphones? Just to make sure the preamp is working properly.

JoeE SP9
07-11-2006, 12:08 PM

This might seem like a silly question but do you have the EPL loop switch depressed? That would give exactly the results you are experiencing.:confused5:

royphil345
07-11-2006, 07:42 PM
You shouldn't need a phono preamp. Sounds like your preamp has a built in phono stage and you have it set correctly.

The headphone outputs on a preamp aren't usually the loudest... Similar to ones on a CD player... But if you're really not exaggerating about barely audible at full volume...

Sounds like something is wrong somewhere. The output from a turntable / phono stage is usually a little less than the output from a CD player, but barely audible at max volume shouldn't be happening. They wouldn't have bothered putting a phono stage in your preamp that worked THAT poorly.

Hard problem to troubleshoot without some extra gear. Do you get suitable levels with a CD player plugged into your preamp? If not, bad preamp or headphones... If so, could be a problem with the phono section in your preamp. Could also be a problem with the turntable. There's a mechanism in some turntables to mute the output while the turntable performs automatic operations that may be causing problems. Bad cartridge? Oxidized plugs or cartridge pins? Broken wires?

If you want to try another cartridge, I still have that spare AT91 P-mount. Send me your address in a private message if you want to try it.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the new used gear.

Good luck!!!

Oh... And if there's a ground wire hanging off of the turntable... just connect it to the ground terminal on your preamp.

ssarm@mac.com
07-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey, its been a while since I've tinkered with the TT.

All the functions (cueing) work. It stops, starts, and plays good (I can hear the record playing if I put my ear next to it). Yet it still wont register through my preamp. I know my pre-amp/amp is workign fine, becuase I've been playing music from my main source through it with awesome results.

I'm guessing something got knocked around on the inside of the TT during shipping (figures). Is there anything I can check out if I try to take it apart, some cheap little thing that could be wrong?

I knew I was taking a chance having it shipped to me. If I can salvage it cheap then I definately will, otherwise I'll just try something else.

Thanks.

royphil345
07-21-2006, 04:58 PM
You can't really know it's the turntable for sure yet. The phono stage in your preamp is a separate circuit and could be bad. You are plugged in where it says "phono" or "MM" right?

The cartridge or stylus could be damaged. Someone could have torn the tiny magnets off of an Audio Technica stylus assembly for instance... The tiny coils inside the cartridge could have corroded through from improper storage... I still have that extra Audio Technica P-Mount cartridge if you want to try it for the very reasonable price of... free.

The easiest way to start trouble-shooting would be by trying an external phono preamp in the line-level input (CD, TAPE, AUX, ETC...) you know works... If you could borrow one from someone... That would show the problem to be in the turntable or cartridge for sure if it didn't play.

Otherwise... The best start would be to use a multi-tester set to test resistance and test for continuity. One of the cartridge pins should test showing no or little resistance between it and one of the inner pins of the RCA plugs. One cartridge pin should be a solid connection to the other inner pin. The other two should be a solid connection to the two outer sleeves of the RCA plugs. Those may be bridged together (2 cartridge pins show a solid connection to either outer sleeve of the RCA plugs).

It just crossed my mind that it could be difficult with a P-Mount cartridge. Any access to the 4 cartridge pins, or where they connect to the tonearm wires? The tonearm wires and their connections are delicate, be gentle... If not, you could remove the cartridge and use a couple small strands from a speaker wire or something inserted into 1 of the 4 socket holes at a time to make contact with your test probe.

If you don't have access to a multi-tester... I'd try the cartridge first. You could try to look inside the turntable and basically see if it looks like you're getting an uninterrupted connection between the 4 cartridge pins and the four contacts on the RCA plugs at the end of your phono cables. There may be a mechanical switch type thing in the circuit somewhere if your turntable mutes while performing automatic operations. This could actually be bypassed in case of trouble if you're good with a soldering iron. When taking a turntable apart, it can be difficult to do so without damaging something. Tie down the tonearm well. Remove the platter and counterweight so they won't shatter the dust cover when you turn the turntable over...

Hope some of this actually helps. Wish we were neighbors... I'm sure I could get the turntable working if its damaged. Unfortunately, the cost of you shipping it to me and back probably wouldn't be worth it...

The fact that you don't get sound from either channel makes me mostly suspect your preamp, or a malfunctioning muting circuit in your turntable if there is one... Or the cartridge / stylus.