Recommendations for "babyproof" AV stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for "babyproof" AV stands

bogrod
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone. Very, very longtime since I was last here (although I recognise a few names) and I was hoping if people here could offer a recommendation.

I have an infant who is right at that point of being able to crawl and push buttons. I was wondering if experienced parents have any kind of recommendations for t.v. stands that are more or less baby or kid-proof? There are many t.v. stands out there with glass doors with the standard magnet locks. Do any have a locking system that is perhaps a little more difficult to undo?

JoeE SP9
07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't intend to be offensive but how about teaching the kid not to do certain things. My mother collected Hummel figurines and she and my father made sure my 2 younger siblings and I knew what we wern't supposed to touch. I raised my son the same way. I've always thought it wrong to have to child proof my home. I prefer home proofing my children.:)

bacchanal
07-10-2006, 05:38 AM
I don't think infants really have a sense of right and wrong...at least not for awhile.

I wouldn't recommend anything with glass doors. I remember one of my little bro's going through a glass door on my parents entertainment center. I would try to find something that is very stable (won't fall over if pushed on or run into), and maybe something that gets your gear out of the kids reach until you can teach them not too push buttons.

Maybe a separate av rack would be better than an entertainment center, because that would put most of the buttons away from the tv, which will certainly become of interest to the kid.

Worst case scenario you could always get an armoir for the tv (but I wouldn't put your amps etc in there).

ktrucke
07-13-2006, 04:46 AM
IF you get a wooden armoir/cabinet for the components with buttons I recommend a product called 'Tot Locks'. We used these on our kitchen cabinets and a friend used them on their TV armoire. They're invisible from the outside (they do require drilling holes on the inside). They can NOT be opened without their opener (a magnet).

That said, we had glass front rack and kept our kid away from it. Vigilence and consistency got us through.

PHiX
07-13-2006, 05:19 AM
http://www.watchwinders.com/images/safe.jpg

L.J.
07-13-2006, 06:10 AM
I have a 7 month old who has discovered hitting the TV with toys makes a sound he likes to hear. It's only a matter of time before he realizes the magnetic grills on my C-9's are easily removed. My audio gear is in a wall unit with heavy wooden doors at the bottom so no worrys there.

My bedroom is a different story. C-3's on stands and an open AV rack. I'm more worried about a speaker falling on his head than anything else. This can easily be resolved by keeping my bedroom door shut.

I simply plan on telling him no touching until he get's it. In the meantime, he's not causing any real damage and I actully allow him to wack the TV a few times before I grab him.

noddin0ff
07-13-2006, 06:32 AM
The baby stage only lasts a few months. I wouldn't worry too much about it, what's the worst that could happen? The TV gets turned on loud? Just make sure the kid is safe from falling objects.

Kids will always be able to 'push your buttons'.

Grandpaw
07-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I would like to second Joe's answer in the first reply. I have two boys and now a 4year old grandson and I have a collection of figurines many of which are setting on the hearth of my fireplace within easy reach of a small child even if they are crawling. The figurines on the hearth are worth thousands of dollars and I have never moved or have intentions of moving any of them for children. Work with them a little and you can eliminate the problem. This also will enforce correcting them at other times when they are told NO. Just wanted to agree with Joe on this , Jeff

Just in case you are wondering, I have never had one scratched , broken or damaged in any way.

I would like to add that I did fix the doors on the cabinet under the sink so they couldn't get to the cleaners and other strong chemicals.

Resident Loser
07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
...a three-count...parents these days are far too indulgent...kids need to have limits set and parents need to enforce them...NO! means no...

jimHJJ(...kids need to be watched, that's your job after creating them...)

Glen B
07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone. Very, very longtime since I was last here (although I recognise a few names) and I was hoping if people here could offer a recommendation.

I have an infant who is right at that point of being able to crawl and push buttons. I was wondering if experienced parents have any kind of recommendations for t.v. stands that are more or less baby or kid-proof? There are many t.v. stands out there with glass doors with the standard magnet locks. Do any have a locking system that is perhaps a little more difficult to undo?

While its best to train your kids not to touch, there can come a time when you've got to take a stand, no pun intended. The Salamander Designs Synergy line of AV furniture has optional side panels, doors and a lock available. The doors have panels that come in choice of frosted tempered glass or perforated metal. I have the perforated metal door and lock installed on my 2-channel rack. I also have a synergy TV stand but that protected by pro style perforated steel security panels. The hinges have a quick-release feature that allows you to remove/re-attach the door in seconds. Not only good for keeping the fingers of kids off your equipment but those of curious adult visitors to one's home as well.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?hdnMfg=Salamander+Designs&MFGID=107

My Synergy rack with door and lock:

JoeE SP9
07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I wonder if it's just us older guys that think home proofing the child is better than child proofing the home. I'm 58 and soon to be a grandpaw. Grandpaw is, well, already a grandpaw. Resident Loser, I don't know how old you are. Sometimes your posts do convey the impression of some years behind you.:ihih:

Resident Loser
07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
I wonder if it's just us older guys that think home proofing the child is better than child proofing the home. I'm 58 and soon to be a grandpaw. Grandpaw is, well, already a grandpaw. Resident Loser, I don't know how old you are. Sometimes your posts do convey the impression of some years behind you.:ihih:

...56 going on 12...

jimHJJ(...so there!...)

JoeE SP9
07-13-2006, 01:18 PM
...56 going on 12...

jimHJJ(...so there!...)

I thought you were a teenager!:ihih:

Glen B
07-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I wonder if it's just us older guys that think home proofing the child is better than child proofing the home. I'm 58 and soon to be a grandpaw. Grandpaw is, well, already a grandpaw.

I am 50 and already a grandpaw of 4 1/2 years. I never had problems with my daughters touching my equipment when they were toddlers. With my grandson its an entirely different story. Nothing I learned as a parent works with him, although his behaviour is improving somewhat as he gets older. He is just fascinated with lights, switches and buttons.

Grandpaw
07-13-2006, 06:17 PM

I'm a young Grandpaw I'm 54, Jeff

2chAlex
07-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Have to wonder if depends on the child. My oldest grandson didn't seem curious and and a no from grandpa was the end of that. Now my younger grandson is just the opposite and Glen I know what you're saying. He has gotten better and seems to know what grandpa says, goes. I too think that home proofing is the way, it's good to show them limits early.