Pirates of the Caribbean Makes $55 Mil On Opening Day! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean Makes $55 Mil On Opening Day!

Defshep
07-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Despite lackluster reviews (around 50% positive according to rottentomatoes.com), POTC: Dead Man's Chest had a huge opening day. Superman Returns opened with around the same amount it's entire opening weekend, didn't it? Huge numbers. Anyone excited about this one?

paul_pci
07-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm excited, but not sure when I'll get to see it. Hopefully next weekend.

Geoffcin
07-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Despite lackluster reviews (around 50% positive according to rottentomatoes.com), POTC: Dead Man's Chest had a huge opening day. Superman Returns opened with around the same amount it's entire opening weekend, didn't it? Huge numbers. Anyone excited about this one?

Worth a trip to the theater

kexodusc
07-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Saw it too...Reviewers completely trashed the 1st one...guess what? They messed up again...worth full admission at the theaters IMO...

superpanavision70mm
07-08-2006, 10:05 PM
One word: yawn.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-11-2006, 06:12 AM
I saw it over the weekend. It was not as good as the first IMO, but it wasn't totally bad either. The pacing is kind of slow in the beginning and there is not enough action to support the dialog as well.

One of my major complaints about this movie and something that I thought would have really helped this movie is the use of the surrounds, and a little more atmosphere in the overall mix. Maybe it was the theater I was in, but their seemed to be little or no surround activity to support the screen action. This made the whole presentation seem a little flat.

Overall this wasn't a bad movie, however the question begs to be asked. Has the mouse lost its ability to make a high quality movie? After watching 8 below last week, I am beginning to wonder.

Defshep
07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
See, I thought it was just me, mainly because I did what I know not to do - attend the late (9:30) showing. With my schedule of getting up at 3am, it's hard to stay focused that late, even on a night off. The Sunday night show was sold-out, which I thought was amazing. The pacing did seem to be slow, and there wasn't enough Cap'n Jack. Let's face it, Johnny Depp's performance is a huge part of what makes this series so much fun. I also missed Barbosa. I didn't think the Davey Jones character benefitted from all the (impressive) cgi, which was a shame, because Bill Nighy is one of my favorite character actors. His expressions just seemed too hidden by all the sfx. I'm sure I'll see it again, and I'll probably love it, or at least like it a little more, like Superman Returns. I don't think it's gonna quite stack up to the first "Pirates". It was more like a ghost story (which I guess is the case with the first), but without the wit and overall fun of "Curse of the Black Pearl".

s dog
07-22-2006, 01:15 PM
I saw it over the weekend. It was not as good as the first IMO, but it wasn't totally bad either. The pacing is kind of slow in the beginning and there is not enough action to support the dialog as well.

One of my major complaints about this movie and something that I thought would have really helped this movie is the use of the surrounds, and a little more atmosphere in the overall mix. Maybe it was the theater I was in, but their seemed to be little or no surround activity to support the screen action. This made the whole presentation seem a little flat.

Overall this wasn't a bad movie, however the question begs to be asked. Has the mouse lost its ability to make a high quality movie? After watching 8 below last week, I am beginning to wonder. I saw this movie in a really nice theater and the sound was just plain awful, I really wanted to like this movie but it just didnot happen, i dont think i heard laughter from the audience more than 2 or 3 times through out the whole movie,I will say that the last half of the show was alot better than the first half. I thought it was just me but no one at work cared much for this movie either. I just loved the 1st one, and who knows maybe the third one might be the best one of all. just my opinion

L.J.
08-04-2006, 08:01 AM
I FINALLY saw this last night. First off, cgi was simply flawless. Very well done. The story was alright, ran a little slow at times but not bad. The sound was just horrible. Sir T hit it right on, lack of surround. This was my first thought during the movie. On top of that, the overall sound was just bad. No rumbling from hard hitting waves or canon blasts. Just didn't do it for me. I'm fed up with that theater and I'm gonna try a few more on the other side of town.

Dusty Chalk
12-10-2006, 03:26 AM
I finally saw this -- very good, IMHO. Lacked story, but the slapstick was funny, the CGI and other special effects were exquisite, and the action sequences were sufficiently clever to be enjoyable -- albeit a little too central to the "sell" of the movie, just like the more recent three Star Wars films. It just seemed like a bunch of action sequences tied together with a very loose thread of a story.

Looking forward to the third.