Epos M 12, Quad 11L or Von Schweikert VR-1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Epos M 12, Quad 11L or Von Schweikert VR-1

laspino
01-31-2004, 08:32 AM
I'm looking at buying a pair of one of these. In terms of looks the Quads are the hands down winner.

Anyone have comments on these choices or similar products?

Andy2
01-31-2004, 04:25 PM
I haven't heard any Quads or VR-1 so I can't comment on those.
I personally own a pair of Epos m12 and all I can say is that they are outstanding.
They have extremely nice midband which is one of the best out there regardless
of price. Vocal reproduction is also first rate and you should hear you favorite
singers through one of these and it is a treat. Maybe the lack of crossover I am
not sure but the voice coming through these almost unaltered.
Beside the midband, it has nice bass too -- very control at all time.
I compared the midband
of these to the Spendor S8 and I actually prefer the m12, though the S8 does have
quite a bit more bass being a floor stander.
The only thing I can criticize, although minor, is it's use of metal tweeter.
When playing at super loud level, and I only do this when all my neighbors
are out, the sound can get a bit bright but I only do this once maybe in a month.

bignerd100
11-19-2004, 11:12 AM
VR-1 is outstanding. It is comarable to the Spendor 3/1 which is equaly outstanding. Both of these speakers blend well with either a sob or a stereo pair of subs.

NickWH
11-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Anyone have comments on these choices or similar products?

What electronics will you be using with them?

topspeed
11-19-2004, 11:11 PM
From an objective standpoint, there are some very real differences you should consider.
First, the Quads are 6 ohm nominal (who knows what their minimum is) and only 86dB sensitive with a freq. response rated at 45hz-24khz (although TNT's measurements showed a -6dB dropoff at 80hz). The Epos is a 8 ohm nominal (again, no stats for minimum), 87dB sensitive and rated at 60hz-20khz. The VR1's are 8 ohm nominal (5 ohm min), 89dB sensitive and rated at 40hz-25khz (-3dB).

So what does all this tell you?

Well, when you consider it takes twice the power for a 3dB increase in volume, you'll need a lot more juice to play either the Quad or Epos at the same volumes as the Von Schweikert . Also, with only a 5 ohm minimum, the VSA will be easier to drive and less picky about amps than the Quad and possibly the Epos. Finally, the VR1's clearly are more dynamic than either speaker and are better at producing lower octave information. Believe me, after auditioning tons of bookshelf speakers before I bought mine, I can plainly attest that the VR1's have more bass and sheer ability to energize a room than any other monitor I heard under $2000.

The VR1's don't sound anything like either the Quad's or the Epos (although I've only heard the ELS3, not the M12) so it shouldn't be hard to decide which is right for you. I have VR1's so consider me suitably biased, however I have nothing but respect for both of your other choices. All 3 are great. You're best bet, as always, is to take some of your favorite tunes and decide for yourself. Better yet, get the dealer to let you borrow the speakers (it's not like they're big and heavy floorstanders) and see which ones sound best in your rig.

For me, I fell in love with the VR1's off axis response, imaging, unstoppable dynamics, and utter musicality. I've always said the best descriptor for the VR1 is "fun", and isn't that what listening to music is all about? BTW, before you proclaim the Quad's "best looking", you'd better see the VSA's in Hazelwood in person. They're gorgeous.

Hope this helps.

RGA
11-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Is there a reason it's down to those three only? I have not heard any of them but principly I agree with Topspeed about bass - make sure it has some or the upgrade bug will biting.

cone
11-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Rga...whatz up my friend....remember me? At any rate, I used to own the larger version 12Ls...cut to the chase...strenghts: outstanding bass for a monitor...weakness: very fatiguing over long listening periods...I eventually opted for a true time/phasecorrect American made speaker...Green Mountain Europa...these are the most transparent, open, and musically involving speaker I have ever encountered...the give the B&W 805s a real run for their money...if your primary interests are 3-d imaging, huge soundstaging, and time/coherent presentation...look no further...drawbacks: they weigh 50 lbs each, come in only one color(thank god blacK), require very good stands...and are slightly lean in the bass for some musical genres(rock,electronica,etc)...on vocals...they have no rival...good luck

cone
11-20-2004, 07:25 PM
ALso...the QUads have received numerous oversea awards...and to be honest...a bit of a critical "free ride" in my estimation...dont get me wrong...they are not a poor choice...but I do feel much of their praise is due to their cosmetics...they do have very excitable, bright, and in "your face" presentation...I like a more coherent, relaxed sound myself...just for the record...I also did a home demo with the VR-1s and still chose GMA Europas...they are unbeatable at their current price of 1k...many(myself included) feel they are equal or surpass much more pricey speakers such as REvel,Ref 3a,B&W,etc..

RGA
11-21-2004, 01:15 AM
The GMA's hold some interest for me as well becauseof Noel(at Skylan) had good things to say about them. I prefer a speaker that is high sensitivity and which can be run by SET amplifiers. I didn;t feel right railroading this thread with my recomendations - this person has chosen 3 brands - I would like to have added the AN K/SPe which is also time and phase coherent(though they don't advertise it) and the K if my dealer has any of last years models left are half price. But it's doubtful he'll be able to hear either brand given their size and availability.

cone
11-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Rga...my mistake...I thought you were the original poster...any th oughts on the B&W 705 just for kicks? I think they sound awesome....

RGA
11-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Cone where have you been for the last ohh year or so?

I posted a lot of reviews of speakers not long ago over three pages and the 705 was in there - I prefer the CDM 1NT for bang for buck and was roundly dissapointed with the 705. I compared it directly against the AX Two a $700.00Cdn loudspeaker the B&W 705 is $2300.00. The former clocked it IMO. Considering the AX Two is built in Denmark uses Good vifa drivers and is ~ the same size I have to wonder why the B&W is so expensive. I also wonder why it's $500.00 more than the 1NT. But hey it's only an opinion.

Page 1 http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6694
2 - http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6696
3 - http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6698 (I think I have the 705 reviewed on this page)

cone
11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
I would agree...the 705s are not cheap...they retail for $1500 here in the states...which...as you know...is a very competitive price point...at any rate...I think they sound very balanced for a standmount...are there better choices at this price? sure...but for those that have limited choices in their are...I think a decent option...I would also say...and I seem to be in the minority...I dont find them to be a bright speaker...and in some respects prefer them to the 805s...they might be too relaxed for some...I also would agree..B&W has abandoned the 1k price point which was one of the tweeter on top CDM strengths...however...these go for $600 used in the states which is a steal...good to hear from you....